Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

230K views 950 replies 79 participants last post by  Linkage2010 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I got my R-972 today from accessories4less (that shipped to me from Florida to Edmonton Canada in just 2 days!) and had an hour to hook it up and play with it just a little.
First impressions are is that it was probably one of the best investments I could have made :)

Out of the box this receiver is huge! the weight is about 45lbs although Ive red conflicting reports that it weighs as much as 60lbs. No matter how you look at it its a beast for size and covers the top shelf of my AV rack completely and its very tall for a receiver.
I hooked all my gear up to it and the main speakers (I plan only using this as a two channel setup) I then powered it up and it came to life without any issues (First sigh of releaf given the distance it traveled). Without even having time to do any of the settings or even running Trinnov I played my iPod and could not believe the clarity of the sound, It brought my Missions to life it seems. they were clean and like my EV sentrys downstairs sounded much more dynamic and the separation was outstanding!

Im going to spend some more time playing tomorrow but for now I am thrilled by what its done even without any room eq applied :T

To check the version of your R-972 firmware:
hold Display and Enter/Memo

To reset the R-972 to factory settings:
Once in Standby Mode, press and hold down the STANDBY & MEMO/ENTER buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds. This will reset the unit and it will turn on automatically. If the reset was successful, you should notice that the receiver powers up at 87.5 FM . If not, repeat the reset process.

Information on installing the bass boost Hex files here

See less See more
#198 ·
The receiver seems to have problems when the audio or video format changes so if you are watching TV and one commercial is dolby digital and the next is not, the audio cuts out for about 4 seconds, this same thing happens when going through the different menus on a movie.
I am also having a problem when watching recorded tv shows, once the show is over and I return back to live TV sometimes (not always) the video blanks out and the only way to get it back is to change the video input (say from video 3 to video 2 then go back to video 3) and the picture will reappear.
These seem like they would be simple to fix with a firmware update but the fact that the product was released like this and has not been fixed makes me believe that they are either not fixable or Sherwood lacks the technical skills to solve these problems.
These problems would not be acceptable in a $300 receiver let alone a $1,800 flagship receiver.

Having said that I am trying to decide if I want to keep it and just live with the problems or return it and take the loss on shipping (I would be out close to $100, more if they charge a restocking fee) I think this would be a perfect receiver for a home theater that was only used to watch movies on, which I hope to have someday soon.
I will say that the receiver is very well made (thought not nearly as heavy as my Onkyo 805) audio quality is excellent and the trinnov system really is amazing. I just watched MI Ghost Protocol last night and was blown away by the sound.

#201 ·
and just to add to this, I agree with everyone else that the remote is rather horrible but I use a harmony so that was not an issue.
I just listed the issues that I had with it that have me thinking that I might return it, things that annoy me every single time I use it. Everything else to me is minor and can be overlooked, replaced (remote) or is not used often enough to make me not want the receiver (mic jack placement)

#202 ·
And that is the spirit in which I meant the question. While I appreciate the rest of the answers, I'm mainly interesting in things that annoy every time you use it. The remote isn't really an issue because I'm kind of addicted to the JP1 remotes. That's why I needed the discrete IR remote codes. I'm sure they're not as easy to program as the Harmony remotes, but they're cheap and flexible. I guess I'm between the R-972 and the Onkyo TX-NR809, although I could wait for the TX-NR818. I guess I could look at the Denon 1712, but I like the fatter amplifiers of the other receivers. I'm still deciding...

#203 ·
Well, I have both the 809 and the 972. Of the two, I prefer the 809 as it is 1.4 compatible, has a network connection, and I dont have any of those issues that have been previously discussed.

However, trinnov seems to be able to handle the dynamics of my living room with it's vaulted ceiling and open floor plan better than Audessey does as the Sherwood seems to provide better sound.

If it were me, I would wait to see how the 818 measures out - XT32 (from other comments) sounds like it is worth the wait........

#205 ·
Got the Onkyo 709 and set up Audessey on it in Music mode. Alas, I am underwhelmed with the sound when compared to the R972 with Trinnov. I have a feeling the pre amp section in the 972 is also just plain better. Not sure if there are any good settings for the 709 that I should be targeting to improve the sound. Now I am not so sure about sending the 972 back. If the HDMI sync improves with my new blu-ray player, that might help the cause.

#206 ·
Did you run Audessey correctly, meaning putting the mic at ear level on a tripod and measuring at least 4 positions? Dont use any of the music modes, run it in stereo to get a better idea what it will sound like.

#207 ·
I put the mic on tripod at ear level in my sitting position like I have done with Trinnov. I did not move the mic for each of the four positions, since I rarely move from that position. Should I still move the mic in that case? I'll try stereo this evening and see what happens. To me the sound did not seem as airy, clear and seamless across my speakers like the 972.

#208 ·
kriskk said:
I put the mic on tripod at ear level in my sitting position like I have done with Trinnov. I did not move the mic for each of the four positions, since I rarely move from that position. Should I still move the mic in that case? I'll try stereo this evening and see what happens. To me the sound did not seem as airy, clear and seamless across my speakers like the 972.
Yes, you want to measure as many positions as allowed. Part of what it's doing is getting a reading of your room. Think of it as mapping your room. I also only have 2 main listening positions but when the kids or guests come over sometimes more. I would do the full 8 positions if I were you.

#209 ·
Agreed^^

#212 ·
It will pass 3D but at a lower resolution. Its better to run the HDMI directly to the display for 3D

#214 ·
no, HDMI is the only way to get DTS MA or Dolby TruHD. You will need a HDMI splitter or a BluRay player that has two HDMI outputs.

#215 ·
All 972's from AC4L will have 1.47 as Mark purchased S/N's remaining stock which were the newest.

#216 · (Edited)
For those of you that have Bluray handshake issues, try using the HDMI1 connection.

I participate on a couple of R972 threads on another forum (a former Sherwood rep participates, as well as a Trinnov rep who's notes have been referenced here on HTS), and that has seem to do the trick with HDMI issues and BluRay players. Incidentally, I use a Oppo BDP-83, and it worked for me.

I use a FiOS HD DVR on HDMI1 with no issues except for sync'ing the sound codec during some channel changes and commercial breaks...really depends on what is happening with the codec stream, and can be a 2-3 sec delay.

The notes that have been referenced are excellent, and the Trinnov rep is constantly adding to it.

Sherwood has been known to have a pretty good pre/amp section, it holds true with the R-972 (I use external amps). I had a P-965 for a long time, and needed to get on HDMI. I almost went with an Onkyo pre/pro, but this deal came up and I am glad I took the gamble. The unit has its quirks, but none of them have bitten me....or been annoying.

I am VERY pleased with its sound capabilities, Trinnov EQ is very nice, but it is the spatial correction that I think sets it apart. I would not openly recommend the unit because if its quirks/issues...but the cohesiveness of the soundstage/surrounds is pretty amazing.

#242 ·
I wish my problem was this simple, mine is doing that using component video and HDMI. The video drops out while watching TV from a HD DVR. This sometimes happens when changing channels, switching from recorded content to live TV and has even happened while watching TV without me doing anything.
When this happens the sound continues to play but the TV does not display anything (gives me a weak or no signal message) which does seem like a HDMI issue to the TV.
So far I have only experienced this while watching TV and not for bluray movies or ROKU content but that could just be because I have not watched enough for it to happen.

As of right now my thought is that I have to return it but I am going to experiment a little longer before I do :(

#217 ·
Glad you could join us, cschang!

Most folks are using this for video/surround. I bought the R-972 to kick off my first foray into surround, but am primarily interested in 2.1 performance. Others have stated that the Newcastle does well with stereo. I would value your opinion on the matter, how do you feel the R-972 and Trinnov do with 2 channel music?

I have not run Trinnov yet, will do so tomorrow. Soon, I want to run REW before/after Trinnov, just for fun.

#219 · (Edited)
Hey cschang, welcome aboard!

It would be great to have your input on this and other topics here at the Shack.
I use my 972 for 2.1 channel duty and so far love the sound.
Thanks guys..

For 2 channel music I think it does great.

I'm sure it is elsewhere in thread, but what the Trinnov spatial correction attempts to do is correct for proper placement of the speakers to match ITU and cinema standards. This means, for music, is to have the L/R channels 23 degrees off of center. My speakers are already close, but with Trinnov on, some information is still coming from my surrounds, so it creates a more enveloping soundstage...not unlike Dolby PL2 Music(but not the same). I like it, but the down side is that because it is pulling information and redistributing it behind me, it loses a bit of direct treble energy as if it was coming from in front of me.

These are the angles Trinnov tries to reproduce...

Front
ITU = 23(+/- deg), cinema = 30(+/- deg), and of course, center = 0.

Surrounds and backs
5.1 ITU = 110 (+/- deg), 5.1 cinema = 135, 6.1 cinema = 135 & 180. 7.1 cinema = 110, 150. ITU/music back angle is most critical of the bunch, as a specific speaker location is used in all ITU mixes. Cinema is not as critical, as it's expected there may be multiple surrounds.

#218 ·
Hey cschang, welcome aboard!

It would be great to have your input on this and other topics here at the Shack.
I use my 972 for 2.1 channel duty and so far love the sound.

#220 ·
Ran Trinnov today. It sounded a quite thin, so I played with the settings a bit. Settled on:

EQ - Flat
Spatial Mode - None
Remapping - None

Sounds nice and full this way, with more bass. While the timbre is off what I am used to hearing, there is greater clarity.

One big problem I did not have before. Cranking up music near 0 dB causes the Sherwood to distort it's output to the mains and the sub amp greatly,with all speakers put out a horrible humming sound. If I am clipping the Sherwood's amp (unlikely, my mains are extraordinarily efficient), it should go into protection, not distort. I don't ordinarily listen at this level, just messing around.

Anybody else have this problem?

#221 ·
No issue with mine, where did you have the mic placed when you ran trinnov?

#226 ·
I stacked pillows in the listening position, keeping the mic as level as possible, red dot forward.

I know this is a terrible method, but I have only a week left to decide whether to send this back or not, so I ran it. I need to grab some velcro and a level, attaching the probe to my mic boom stand. Hate to buy a tripod just for this probe, I have more than enough gear around here.

#227 ·
I might like them if the bass was there. With the settings set "Flat", bass sounds a little hot, just the way I prefer it. I do want LVL+DLY so I can take full advantage of Trinnov. I'll try LVL+DLY and increasing the sub amp gain level.

Running 2.1. Parameters are:

Front Left - H Angle 18 degrees, V Angle 89 degrees, 3.36 meters
Front Left - -6 dB point 126 Hz, Level -17 dB, Delay 9 ms

Front Right - H Angle -17 degrees, V Angle 89 degrees, 3.43 meters
Front Right - -6 dB point 126 Hz, Level -17 dB, Delay 10 ms

Subwoofer - H angle 0 degrees, V angle 0 degrees, 4.03 meters
Subwoofer - -6 dB point 19 Hz, Level -5 db, Delay 11 ms

#225 ·
For level matched and proper distance settings...you should have the spatial mode at least set to LVL+DLY (level and delay), otherwise the system is not level matching or setting the delays for any channel. So not calibrated at all.

I suspect this is causing the thin sound with tess's setup...as well as the amp output issues.

#228 ·
Pillows will defiantly interfere with the readings. You need to get it away from anything soft or it will dampen the true image it reads. If you have some tie straps you could tie it to the boom stand somehow.

#229 ·
LVL+DLY is on, the imaging is fantastic. Cranked up the gain on the sub amp, still not enough bass.

Cannot get the distorted output at higher levels, I think you are right about the amp output issues, cschang.

#233 ·
Hello all,
Just joined the forum after seeing a link from another R-972 thread. I have seen all the issues that others have noticed and can add:
- Sherwood sent me beta 1.48 which fixed nothing and added audio issues so I reverted to 1.47
- My Comcast box connects slowly but 2 different Sony Blu-ray players and an Apple TV connect almost instantly. I did notice changing the hdmi connection setting for the Comcast cable box to hdmi for audio and video (from auto) seemed to speed hdmi connection times a bit.
- The handshake to my tv is by far the slowest sometimes taking 15 seconds - thought his is only an issue when I turn on the unit.
- I have heard the sub thumb on one sub I own but not another. Unfortunately, the sub that does not thump with the R-972 is grounded and I had bad ground loop issues - so I stuck with the sub that "thumps". (this same sub also has a low rumble when volume is being changed)

Despite all the issue the R-972 sounds great and I LOVE how the Trinnov 3D remapping sounds - so I am sticking with it - at least until another company releases a Trinnov enabled device I can afford...

#236 ·
720p if I remember correctly.

#241 ·
That is interesting that you do not prefer 3D Remapping and any sort of Spatial Mode. I have run the 972 to Reference, but cannot use the internal amplification due to my Speakers. I did not have issues with my Subwoofer when doing so. I usually playback BD/DVD's between 10 to 15db's below Reference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.