Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

230K views 950 replies 79 participants last post by  Linkage2010 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I got my R-972 today from accessories4less (that shipped to me from Florida to Edmonton Canada in just 2 days!) and had an hour to hook it up and play with it just a little.
First impressions are is that it was probably one of the best investments I could have made :)

Out of the box this receiver is huge! the weight is about 45lbs although Ive red conflicting reports that it weighs as much as 60lbs. No matter how you look at it its a beast for size and covers the top shelf of my AV rack completely and its very tall for a receiver.
I hooked all my gear up to it and the main speakers (I plan only using this as a two channel setup) I then powered it up and it came to life without any issues (First sigh of releaf given the distance it traveled). Without even having time to do any of the settings or even running Trinnov I played my iPod and could not believe the clarity of the sound, It brought my Missions to life it seems. they were clean and like my EV sentrys downstairs sounded much more dynamic and the separation was outstanding!

Im going to spend some more time playing tomorrow but for now I am thrilled by what its done even without any room eq applied :T

To check the version of your R-972 firmware:
hold Display and Enter/Memo

To reset the R-972 to factory settings:
Once in Standby Mode, press and hold down the STANDBY & MEMO/ENTER buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds. This will reset the unit and it will turn on automatically. If the reset was successful, you should notice that the receiver powers up at 87.5 FM . If not, repeat the reset process.

Information on installing the bass boost Hex files here

See less See more
#244 ·
Try moving the mic forward or to the left or right of your listening position. Particularly if your listening position is in a corner or against a rear wall.

#246 ·
I would point the red line at the location that centre to your mains.

#249 ·
I just put the one I wanted on the flash drive. Im actually not sure how the receiver reacts to all of them on the flash drive at the same time?

#251 ·
Nope, its across the board.

#252 ·
NoahKatz said:
Tony, thanks very much for the files and instructions.

If all of the bass targets are put on the flash drive, how will the 972 know which one we want?

Anything the matter with putting only the one we want on the flash drive?
It can not distinguish. You need to unpack them all and only put the single file you want on the flash drive.

#255 ·
The bass filters affect the subwoofer output, only. The names were chosen arbitrarily. The "Flat" curve has 3 dB less output than the curve labeled "+3" and 6 dB less output than the curve labeled "+6". It is not necessarily more accurate in your room than the other 2 curves. David Rich insisted that the +6 curve was flat in his room. I thought the "Flat" curve sounded best in Sherwood's listening/conference room. It could be that we are both correct. However, as Dr. Rich has not only academic credentials but science on his side, I now use the +6 dB curve in my home theater.

Jeff

#257 ·
Hi (please excuse my errors and confusion - I'm both a newbie and using a foreign language)
I have a quick question on the r972 room2 control; with:
1. a 5.1 set-up
2. the room 2 line-out connected to another amp -which will remain at a fixed level-
3. nothing connected to the room 2 speakers,
does the room 2 volume control have any effect?

i.e. is the room 2 line-out variable or fixed?

-thank you

Read more: room 2 control - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

#258 ·
Hi (please excuse my errors and confusion - I'm both a newbie and using a foreign language)
I have a quick question on the r972 room2 control; with:
1. a 5.1 set-up
2. the room 2 line-out connected to another amp -which will remain at a fixed level-
3. nothing connected to the room 2 speakers,
does the room 2 volume control have any effect?

i.e. is the room 2 line-out variable or fixed?
It's variable.

#260 ·
Reran Trinnov 3 times with the SHO-10's, same result. Looks like Trinnov may have issues with high sensitivity speakers. Audyssey Multi EQ has the same issues.

I did dial down the subs to within 1 dB of the mains during calibration, still get the humming at high volumes.

Switched to the TCA WAF-1's, -6 dB point is 71 Hz for both L/R speakers. Bass is non existent no matter which speakers I use, the LFE output is ridiculously low. I have to crank my sub amp gain up ridiculously high to compensate. The only way to get satisfactory bass is to set the Spatial Mode to "None", Room EQ to "Flat". :rolleyesno:

$84 in shipping fees as well as a 15% restocking fee if I return this. Major bummer.

#261 ·
Are you just using 2.1 channels? Spacial mode and 3D/2D remap only works if you have a full 5.1 or more speaker setup. In 2.1 channel mode I have spacial mode off and room eq flat as well and its sounds great. No hum.

#262 ·
Thanks, Tony. "Flat" with no Spatial is better, just playing with the other settings. It sounds like surround users are getting reduced bass with the 2D-3D mapping, just wanted to check it out.

Reran calibration, until the subs were 3 dB hotter than the mains. Cranked the gain another 3 dB or so on the sub amp, it does sound much better. No hum even at +5 dB on the AVR, which is much louder than I normally listen.

I'll give it some time to grow on me.

#263 · (Edited)
Surround users are not getting reduced bass. The user that had the problem was not getting a good sub reading during measurements. He corrected it and now is very happy. He posted in the other forum. The key is making sure the unit is making proper calculations. It seem you are having the same problem with gain on the sub amp being too low.

Trinnov spatial correction or remapping is of no real use for those that just have a 2.0 or 2.1 setup.

For those that have a 5.1 or 7.1 setup and listen in 2.1 with spatial correction and remap, the system will use the other speakers to correct for speaker placement angles. You will hear some information coming from the other channels. It provides a very spacious and open sound.

Tess, with only 2 speakers, IMO, you are not benefitting from Trinnov's power.

#265 ·
I have a question about the video scaling on this receiver. If I have it set to upconvert everything to 1080p, such as the cable box but I also have a 1080p source (bluray player) is it doing anything with that signal?

I really wish you could set the scaling per input.

#279 ·
As Tony said. The HQV Reon Processor is actually quite good and was used in Onkyo's 2 most expensive AVR's until the current x09 Series where starting with the 809, Onkyo is using the HQV Vida alongside the Marvell Qdeo.
So anything that is native 1080p, it will not be touched and the same goes for any Sources that Upsample to 1080p.

#266 ·
If its already 1080p it will leave it untouched.

#274 ·
Thanks, cschang. I did a little reading before the purchase, I believe the workaround is to place a center when running calibration, then remove it.

#269 · (Edited)
Update on my progress. I posted this on the other forum's Trinnov thread as well:

"Success! I finally had to keep the subwoofer level just barely high enough that it would register on the Trinnov mic. This brought the sub level on par with the rest of the speakers. My room must be reinforcing some of the bass harmonics. Once the computation was done, I turned on Flat+3D and raised the sub level dial about 6db. Now I am getting the most mesmerizing presentation I have ever heard. I watched the clips from the Disney WOW blu-ray, and I am still speechless. For the first time I've felt like I am being physically immersed into whatever movie I am watching. All credit to Trinnov and the solid pre-amp/amp on this receiver. Thanks to all for the help."

#275 ·
"Success! I finally had to keep the subwoofer level just barely high enough that it would register on the Trinnov mic. This brought the sub level on par with the rest of the speakers.
Good job. I managed the same thing last night, although it did keep pinging the sub. Parameters show the sub at +3 dB over the mains, I kicked it up a bit more on the sub amp for a fuller sound.

Actually 3 chirps is the minimum. 10 chirps means that the Trinnov module could not accurately locate the speaker. Anything less than 10 and you should be good to go. You can determine if you have the data you need to re-map by looking at the results table. If each speaker (except the subwoofer) has a horizontal and vertical angle then you have sufficient data for remapping. In the rare instance where the Trinnov module could not locate every speaker all is not lost. You can still engage Trininov's very power IR + FIR EQ and get huge improvement in the sound of your system.

Jeff
Useful information, thank you. Lots of pings to the sub last calibration, I didn't count them but it did concern me. No H or V angle readings, and it sounds good.

#270 ·
Thats great that you got it to work so well. How low did you end up running the level on the sub during Trinnov?

#271 ·
For me....I got the gain on the sub amp so it was detected when Trinnov sent its tone. Any less, and Trinnov would not get a good reading.

Incidentally, if Trinnov sends more than three tones to a channel during calibration, then it is having some sort of trouble with that channel...it may still be fine...but if it only sends three, then you know you are good to go.

#272 ·
Actually 3 chirps is the minimum. 10 chirps means that the Trinnov module could not accurately locate the speaker. Anything less than 10 and you should be good to go. You can determine if you have the data you need to re-map by looking at the results table. If each speaker (except the subwoofer) has a horizontal and vertical angle then you have sufficient data for remapping. In the rare instance where the Trinnov module could not locate every speaker all is not lost. You can still engage Trininov's very power IR + FIR EQ and get huge improvement in the sound of your system.

Jeff

#277 · (Edited)
Need some trouble shooting ideas..

Posted this on the other forum and thought you folks might be able to provide some thoughts.

I wanted some extra watts for my speakers so bought an external amplifier to add to my system. Everything seemed to be working fine for one bright shining moment...then the problems started.

I can run the system and its fine. Then the next day I have no center channel. So I start trouble shooting and the sound comes back when I swap the interconnect between the Sherwood and amp. Working fine...next day...no center channel. Swap the old interconnect back..working fine...next day no center channel. Seems to be the center channel output connector on the Sherwood..but don't know how to check that.

Next issue is I think I'm smart so I connect the center channel speaker directly to the Sherwood. Center channel works fine...but no sound from the side or surround speakers.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, insights would be appreciated. :scratch:

But, I do LOVE the sound field when its working right.

Thanks for any help.

#280 · (Edited)
Posted this on the other forum and thought you folks might be able to provide some thoughts.

I wanted some extra watts for my speakers so bought an external amplifier to add to my system. Everything seemed to be working fine for one bright shining moment...then the problems started.

I can run the system and its fine. Then the next day I have no center channel. So I start trouble shooting and the sound comes back when I swap the interconnect between the Sherwood and amp. Working fine...next day...no center channel. Swap the old interconnect back..working fine...next day no center channel. Seems to be the center channel output connector on the Sherwood..but don't know how to check that.

Next issue is I think I'm smart so I connect the center channel speaker directly to the Sherwood. Center channel works fine...but no sound from the side or surround speakers.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, insights would be appreciated. :scratch:

But, I do LOVE the sound field when its working right.

Thanks for any help.
In the System Setup, make sure the HDMI Audio Output is set to OFF.

I would also consider a reset.

#278 ·
What mode are you running it in when you have no centre channel sound? is this during movies?

#283 ·
Problem solved...I think

Ok, I think I got this one fixed..hopefully.

Next time I went down to use it I had lost both back channels. Frustrated, I pulled out the interconnects. I had used an couple of sets of middle level (gold plugs, thicker wire) that I had used in an earlier installation. Replaced them with sets of the cheap, comes with normal electronics (tin plugs, skinny wire) I had laying around and everything worked fine. Still working after two days. If it works for a week this way, I'll order new sets from Monoprice and install some good ones.

Part of me says this can't be the real problem, but I'll just have to play it by ear and see if it keeps working.

Hopefully, I can get back to just enjoying listening to it.

Bob

#284 ·
Is anyone actually using the video scaling feature of this receiver? It seems most people have it set to bypass but I was wondering if anyone is using it and with what type of equipment.
My time warner cable box when connected with HDMI or component cables and with the receiver set to auto or 1080p output will only display a picture for a few minutes before I get a half black half snow screen or the signal totally cuts out and I get a signal lost error on the tv.

I have tried to contact sherwood tech support but they have never called me back so I am guessing we are on our own with this thing.

I still have about a week before I can send it back and I keep going back and forth on if I should keep it or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.