Onkyo recall Notice - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Receivers | Processors | Amps
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 51160 - Replies: 322  
Old 03-22-12, 08:51 AM   #1
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
Since: Sep 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My System
I started this thread.
Onkyo recall Notice

"We have discovered that some components used in a limited number of products manufactured between November 2011 and January 2012 do not comply with the high quality required for use in Onkyo products. As a result, these products may exhibit one of or both of the following phenomenon:

- When powering on the unit, the unit will turn on then turn off automatically

- Static Noise emitted from speakers at low volume level

(The above mentioned phenomenon are not safety related)

Affected Onkyo Models:

TX-8255 TX-8050 HT-RC360

TX-SR309 TX-NR609 TX-NR709 TX-NR809 TX-NR1009 TX-NR5009

(HT-R390) HT-S3400

(TX-NR609) HT-S7409 & HT-S8409

Please click on the following link for more information on whether your unit will require service support: Check Serial Number

Or,

You may also contact our Product Support Team at (800) 229-1687, select option 3, to speak with one of our Product Support Representatives to confirm that your product is part of this limited production lot in need of service.

If the serial number of your product is identified as possibly being impacted by either of the above issue(s), you will be provided with the opportunity to request a prepaid return label or if necessary; box, packing and prepaid return label. Your unit will ship to the ONKYO Service Center that will be providing the service support at no cost to you. Once repairs are completed your unit will be shipped back to you.

ONKYO is committed to delivering best in class performance, superior build quality and exceptional customer service. Your complete satisfaction is our number 1 priority.

We greatly appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience this issue may cause.

ONKYO USA Corporation

***This issue will be handled for Onkyo customers residing in one of the States of the United States (including the District of Columbia) or one of the Territories in Canada even if you are out of warranty.***"

Source: Onkyo USA

Thanks to Shack member bobav for bringing this to our attention

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-12, 09:01 AM   #2
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Since: Jul 2009
Siesta Key, Florida
Re: Onkyo recall Notice

Hello,
I just read about this on another Thread. I am honestly shocked as there has not been a single Post about these issues that I can remember here or AVS for that matter. I can only hope it is a small number of affected units.
J

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer) Martin Logan Depth (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93, OPPO BDP-83 Pioneer BDP-05FD, Pioneer BDP-51FD, OPPO DV-980H, Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS3 60 gb, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910

Old 03-22-12, 09:05 AM   #3
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
Since: Sep 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My System
I started this thread.

Its very good of Onkyo to do this including shipping for free. They will even supply a new box if you tossed out the original box.
This does seem to indicate that they want to fix the poor reputation they have with customer service in the past.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Old 03-22-12, 09:07 AM   #4
HTS Moderator

Joe
Since: Oct 2011
Madison, WI
My System

Thank you for posting this Tony!

Old 03-22-12, 10:30 AM   #5
Senior Shackster

Mike
Since: Jan 2010
Longmont, CO
My System

It must be my lucky day. I entered my SN and got this message "Your receiver does not need this update."

Old 03-22-12, 10:32 AM   #6
HTS Moderator

Joe
Madison, WI
My System

Same here Mike - hopefully everyone else we know gets the same message.

Old 03-22-12, 11:01 AM   #7
Elite Shackster
Silver Supporter

TC
Since: Jun 2007
Worcester Mass.
My System

I checked mine also and got the "your reciever does not need this update" message also. I would have been a little upset if I had to send it back after just getting it all setup and running correctly now.

Old 03-22-12, 11:13 AM   #8
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Since: Jul 2009
Siesta Key, Florida

Hello,
Looking at the Manufacturing Dates, I would guess this is going to affect the 3009 and 5009 more as they were released way after the lower series. The 609/709 have been out for around a year now and the 809/1009 came out not far after. The 3009/5009 were released in late October and I would guess that they would be most likely to be manufactured as replacements for the 409, 509, and 609 have already been announced and are soon to be released.
J

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer) Martin Logan Depth (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93, OPPO BDP-83 Pioneer BDP-05FD, Pioneer BDP-51FD, OPPO DV-980H, Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS3 60 gb, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910

Old 03-22-12, 11:36 AM   #9
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jeff
Kansas City, MO
My System

I'm good…whew

Old 03-22-12, 12:30 PM   #10
Senior Shackster

bundini
Since: Aug 2008
BEAVER COUNTY, PITTS.
My System

Hello,
I checked mine and it says "We found your serial number, you are elligible for this receiver update program. I quess my 709 is defective, it has not exhibited any of this problems, but it is only two weeks old. I'm going to contact Onkyo at the number Tony posted to verify that it is indeed defective. This is not good!!!!
Jeff

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Receivers | Processors | Amps »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »