AVR for HT with Ext. amp for mains - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 08-29-12, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
AVR for HT with Ext. amp for mains

Hello all. I'm new here and excited to learn. I have spent a while going from Martin Logan Owners forum (never did become an owner though), to GR Research at Audiocircle, which I love, to also here!

I have a denon AVR1804. I'm happy with my HT experience. This is a 6.1 receiver with the rear center splittable into two. I have 7.1 speakers set up right now. I am more into two channel critical listening. Here is what I'm planning. To upgrade my AVR to get pre-outs. I will be building some GR research speakers and a tube amp kit for my two channel set up to be the mains in my HT as well.

What should I get? I am looking at the NAD T748, Marantz SR 5007, Marantz NR1603 and I'm open to an Onkyo with Preouts.

I know the preamp abilities of any receiver won't be as good as complete seperates, but I need to keep costs below around $900 for this portion of my upgrade. I have never owned any of these brands, but I hear Marantz sounds similar to Denon. Anyway, I basically assume I won't hear a huge difference among them.

BTW, those speakers I plan to build will have servo subs in them, and I won't use the sub out from the receiver. I am only critical of my music listening and the mains will be sufficient in the low frequency department.

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to spending more time here.

Hope i didn't forget anything.

I did forget to mention I went through the first ten pages of Home Theater Receivers/Processors/Amps and found info, but not everything I was looking for.

Last edited by rockdrummer; 08-29-12 at 11:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 Old 08-29-12, 11:26 AM
Elite Shackster
Re: AVR for HT with Ext. amp for mains

Welcome to HTS. I used to spend a decent amount of time at MLOC, but while I own a 5.2 ML setup the forum there never floated my boat. So to speak.

In addition to the AVR's listed, I would also consider the Onkyo TX-NR818. The 818 is notable as it offers Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and also offers fantastic Video Processing with HQV Vida and Marvell Qdeo. The NAD would be fine and indeed Denon and Marantz are quite similar these days as they share ownership.

Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #3 of 6 Old 08-29-12, 03:30 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

Welcome to HTS!!!

JJ stole my thunder a bit as I was going to point-out the Marantz-Denon connection, too.

Using an AVR with preouts is a very popular way of having "separates" as it is quite cost effective. It's been a while since I've done any "critical" music listening with Onkyo AVRs, but they get rave reviews around here. Both Marantz and Denon AVRs sound very good as preamps, but I believe that Onkyo offers better room correction $ for $.

Since you stated that you're fairly demanding of 2-channel, I might lean toward Marantz or Denon if it were me. That is, however, a pretty big "might," and-as I stated- I have NOT heard the new Onkyos in a critical music listening session. The room correction that Onkyo offers for the money is hard to beat and very important to HT.

Either way that you go, I agree that the AVR with preouts is a sound (sorry, I could not resist the obvious pun) investment. It offers a lot of bang-for-the-buck with the ability to add the tube amp that you mentioned.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-07-12, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Without that unlimited budget everyone wants, I'm glad people are happy, relative to money spent, with results from this receiver-as-a-preamp setup.

Not easy to choose becasue I find myself one minute thinking one way, and then completely different the next minute. Also, seems likely that I would struggle hearing a difference at this pricepoint anyway. But since I really want to build a tube amp kit, that's where I'm headed.

post #5 of 6 Old 09-07-12, 02:11 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

As mentioned above the Onkyo 818 offers stellar performance for a very good price. Hard to beat in that price range.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 6 Old 09-07-12, 02:24 PM
Elite Shackster
Silly Girl!

I agree with the others as far as brands, but I own Denon and am partial to it. Just make sure you purchase from an authorized dealer. It is rare for AVRs to fail these days, but you need that warranty protection just in case. Some third party warranties may be OK, but a factory warranty is hard to beat.

Hug your pet today!

amp , avr , ext , ht , mains

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page