Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

EP2500 Full Range Use

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bob1029 
#1 ·
It is strange that I did not consider using the ep2500 as a full-range amplifier until this morning. Before an hour ago, I was using the nr901 to power the mid/tweeter with the ep2500 driving the bottom only. I decided to perform a little experiment and hooked it up for full-range use on the speakers. I can honestly say that the onkyo has nothing on the ep2500 in any area. Even with full range use, everything sounds so much more "powerful" than before. Where the Onkyo could only go to about -6 db before clipping started, the ep2500 could go reference +2 with no problems. Im mad at myself for not trying this about 8 months sooner :rolleyesno: I was always concerned that with heavier bass that the highs could get distored with the amp, but this no longer an issue since i have a dedicated subwoofer and have since cut-off the mains at 50 hz vs 30.

#3 ·
Yeah... I could probably not tell the difference if someone switched it on me and I was listening at moderate volumes. You also need to take into consideration that the 2500 is not a class D, but infact class H topology which is much closer to a/b due to the modulated supply rails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.