Denon AVR-X4000: Lots of noise from rear speakers with Dolby Digital - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Receivers | Processors | Amps
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 1092 - Replies: 6  
Old 12-05-13, 01:29 AM   #1
Shackster

Since: Apr 2012
Bellevue, WA
My System
I started this thread.
Denon AVR-X4000: Lots of noise from rear speakers with Dolby Digital

Just received my AVR-X4000 last week and I absolutely love it except for the fact that it seems to produce lots of noise in the rear channels with Dolby Digital/Comcast cable as a source. The noise comes through the tweeters and is easily audible from 6-8 ft away.

My front channels are powered by separate amps at 360 watts per channel and the rears are powered by the receiver amp so Audyssey has attempted to balance the difference by attenuating the fronts by -8db and the rears are up +8db. Could this gain difference explain the noise? Or is this inherent to DD? I did not seem to have the same issue with my prior receiver, a Rotel RSX-1056. Any insight would be helpful, thanks!

Vizio XVT-553SV - Anthem MRX-500 - Vincent SAV-P200 - Xbox One - Xbox 360 - WD Live TV - Sony DVP-S7700 - RAW Acoustics Lambda Plus line arrays - RAW Acoustics HT4 towers (rear) - RAW Acoustics Apex C II center - Rythmik FV15HP

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-13, 02:14 PM   #2
Senior Shackster

RTS100x5
Since: Sep 2009
Arlington, Tx.
Re: Denon AVR-X4000: Lots of noise from rear speakers with Dolby Digital

I would suggest turning the gain in the rears down to 0 or +2 then see if the noise is still present...that much gain sounds too high to me...especially if your going to be listening at higher volume levels....

AVR - PIONEER SC 35 w PANGEA AC9 CORD
AC FILT - PANAMAX M5400
DISPLAY - PANASONIC TC-P54G10 54in 1080p PLASMA
MAINS + SURROUND - DIY w DAYTON PT2C-8 PLANAR MID/HIGHS + DAYTON 6.5 MIDBASS -
SUBS - (2) DAYTON 15" ULTIMAX
SUB AMP - ACURUS A250
HTPC - WIN7 ULT,INTEL I7 860,CORSAIR 800D,CORSAIR HX1000, 16 GIG CORSAIR,EVGA P55 MB, ATI 5970 VIDEO, ASUS HDAV DELUXE 1.3 w BURSON DISCREET OPAMPS,PIONEER BDRW, 3WARE 9650 w 4x CRUCIAL 64gb SSD's in RAID 0

Old 12-07-13, 07:27 AM   #3
Shackster

eyespy39
Since: Aug 2013
Germany
My System

If the problem really only occurs with the DolbyDigital/ComCast source, I'd guess that it stems from that source. Which way have you connected the receiver to the AVR? HDMI? TosLink?, analog stereo? Just to double check this, try to change the input port. If the noise vanishes then, the respective input might be defective (or the cable was just poorly protected). If the noise remains, it's either the output of your ComCast receiver or a problem with the broadcast dolbDigital signal.
Good luck and have fun with your AVR!

Old 12-07-13, 01:58 PM   #4
HTS Moderator

doug
Since: Dec 2009
Kansas City
My System

I had some overall static noise in my system. I added one of the cheap-o inline cable line filters from Parts-Express and problem solved.

Old 12-07-13, 02:21 PM   #5
Senior Shackster

RTS100x5
Since: Sep 2009
Arlington, Tx.

Quote:
dougc wrote: View Post
I had some overall static noise in my system. I added one of the cheap-o inline cable line filters from Parts-Express and problem solved.
your link only goes to PE home page

AVR - PIONEER SC 35 w PANGEA AC9 CORD
AC FILT - PANAMAX M5400
DISPLAY - PANASONIC TC-P54G10 54in 1080p PLASMA
MAINS + SURROUND - DIY w DAYTON PT2C-8 PLANAR MID/HIGHS + DAYTON 6.5 MIDBASS -
SUBS - (2) DAYTON 15" ULTIMAX
SUB AMP - ACURUS A250
HTPC - WIN7 ULT,INTEL I7 860,CORSAIR 800D,CORSAIR HX1000, 16 GIG CORSAIR,EVGA P55 MB, ATI 5970 VIDEO, ASUS HDAV DELUXE 1.3 w BURSON DISCREET OPAMPS,PIONEER BDRW, 3WARE 9650 w 4x CRUCIAL 64gb SSD's in RAID 0

Old 12-08-13, 02:52 AM   #6
Shackster

Bellevue, WA
My System
I started this thread.

Quote:
eyespy39 wrote: View Post
If the problem really only occurs with the DolbyDigital/ComCast source, I'd guess that it stems from that source. Which way have you connected the receiver to the AVR? HDMI? TosLink?, analog stereo? Just to double check this, try to change the input port. If the noise vanishes then, the respective input might be defective (or the cable was just poorly protected). If the noise remains, it's either the output of your ComCast receiver or a problem with the broadcast dolbDigital signal.
Good luck and have fun with your AVR!
I think this is the right explanation. It might even be only certain TV channels. Zero issues with DTS sources too and no issues with Bluray or my WD Live TV, even with DD content. Whew, glad it's not the Denon!

Vizio XVT-553SV - Anthem MRX-500 - Vincent SAV-P200 - Xbox One - Xbox 360 - WD Live TV - Sony DVP-S7700 - RAW Acoustics Lambda Plus line arrays - RAW Acoustics HT4 towers (rear) - RAW Acoustics Apex C II center - Rythmik FV15HP

Old 01-20-14, 07:37 PM   #7
Shackster

Bellevue, WA
My System
I started this thread.

So, it IS the Denon. I decided to connect my old Rotel RSX-1056 today and play some Dolby Digital sources that exhibited high noise floor from the rear speakers with the Denon. After matching levels (which needed a lot of gain for the rears since the Rotel has half the preamp voltage that the Denon has), there was still no noise floor. Even with gains turned way up on the Rotel! But this X4000 has been problematic with other issues even after a microprocessor reset so it is going back to the retailer.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Receivers | Processors | Amps »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »