Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Affordable Power amplifier ???

9K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  apilon 
#1 · (Edited)
I was Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good Power amplifier so that I can run 9 speakers.
I cannot buy it for a while later on this year..

maybe a Vintage stereo receiver would work but a Stand alone amp is probably much more powerful.
Receiver = Onkyo 818

I dont see options to run front speakers on the Pre-amplifier menu can you run front speakers with pre amp when using onkyo 818???
Klipsch Icon KF-26 towers are my fronts.

#2 ·
depends on what you call affordable, I have a few onkyo M 504 power amps( dual mono 165 WPC @8 ohms) and a kenwood basic M2( 220 WPC@ 8ohms) and a adcom GFA 5500(200 wpc @8, 350wpc@4 ohms)...all can be had for around $500 each, or less...all of these are considered vintage!

#3 ·
#5 ·
You can add an amp to any of the 9 channels through the pre outs if you choose.

#7 ·
No matter what amplifier you have it will still be playing through the same speakers which means it is going to sound exactly the same as it does now.
The only exception to that is if the current amplification is not capable of achieving the volume level desired.
If the AVR you are using has preamp outputs I think it is unlikely that the built in amplifiers are being over stressed.
If you want an amp because you just want one by all means go for it, it will be satisfying on many levels.
If you are trying to fix a sound quality problem let's talk about what that problem is and what might be done to address it.

#23 ·
Changed my mind...the thread has now been hijacked by a known argumentative audiophile and no further good will come of this.

Original poster, I absolutely do not agree with anything ajinfla is posting.
Look around the forum and decide for yourself what has merit and what does not.

#31 ·
I added an Emotiva UPA 7 to my 818 to run my four rear surrounds, center and high fronts, however, you will not be able to use the 12 volt trigger to automatically power on the extra amp. dang. selecting high fronts or wide fronts disable the zone 2 and 3 trigger outputs.
So I opted to run LRC with the 818 and the other 6 with the UPA 7.
I have found that for (most)music, the LRC and subs soundstage cranks ( in my room , anyway)
But for movies and games, A walk to the front of the room ,14 feet, is not a hardship and games like COD and a well mastered BD will just blow the room away.
Did I NEED! it. maybe not,
But . . .

#33 ·
Thanks for the reply and the info as i did not know running one of those settings would dissable the 12v triggers. As far as an amp goes thats above my budget. Im looking for a 2 channel amp and im even considering a kit and solder my own up. Id like to stay under $150 if at all possible.

l

#34 ·
Is the 80w / ch very powerfull for movies?? $500 is outa budget, sale is over to0o

The UPA 7 is used and rated at 125 or more /channel. Ebay was my source.
And I'm sure I have power just layin' around when its all going but that's want I wanted . . .
Why not check a pawn shop or try borrowing some relic somebody surely has and see how it comes together.

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...fordable-power-amplifier-4.html#ixzz2q3HJcGR2

#35 ·
You could look at pro amp like the behringer ep-2500 , the crown xls-1000 or the qsc rmx850

very affordable and plenty of power

Alain

#36 ·
Behringer is known to be a bit noisy and not a great idea for full range. They are great for subs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.