Got A New Toy Today! Onkyo 705 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 11 Old 11-16-07, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Jerm357

Got A New Toy Today! Onkyo 705

Just finished installing my new Onkyo 705 today and so far I love it. Had no problem with the auto setup and I do like its results better than with out Audyssey enabled. I cant belive how exact the measurements are. I actualy set the level and distances up manually first with my SPL meter and tape measure, than I ran the auto setup and all the speaker distances and levels were dead on to what I came up with. Im amazed. I cant wait till tomorrow when I can run REQ to finish the final tweaking of the system. I'll fill you guys in with later impressions when I get more listening in. So far this realy is a great receiver.

Last edited by Jerm357; 11-16-07 at 01:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-16-07, 02:10 AM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: Got A New Toy Today! Onkyo 705

Congrats...

Looking forward to your impressions.

Show us some before and after REW measurements with and without Audyssey if you can. You may want to smooth the response a little.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #3 of 11 Old 11-16-07, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Jerm357

Will do. Thats exactly what I want to see also.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-16-07, 01:03 PM
Senior Shackster

Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Crunch Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Crunch

I set mine up with the Audyssey and if differed from my measurements from my spl meter.
So I went with the spl measurements.
Let us know what you think!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-16-07, 06:26 PM
Shackster
chuck

Very nice receiver there! Congrats to you.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-16-07, 09:00 PM
Senior Shackster
Worm

Congrats! I bought mine about 2 months ago and love it!
post #7 of 11 Old 11-16-07, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Jerm357

Heres some REW graphs showing what Audyssey is capable of doing with sub's, its pretty amazing. These are the sub only and 80hz crossover.

Before

After

Before and After

Heres some full sweeps with the sub boosted 5 db from what Audyessy came up with. These are all with crossovers set to 80Hz and 1/3 smoothing. Im not sure if my targets are set right because after I saved them they went back to 75db. I know the sub target is right though.

Before

After

Before and After

Im wondering if I should keep my BFD since Audyessy doing such a good job with the sub.

Last edited by Jerm357; 11-16-07 at 10:51 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-18-07, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Jerm357

Im realy thinking about selling My BFD since my receiver is eqing my sub so good. What do you guys think? My sub graph is looking just like it did when I used my BFD to eq the sub the way I liked.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-18-07, 09:57 PM
Shackster

Lew

Great graphs, thanks. I did some measurments too, and I had a very similar conclusions regarding the sub output. I also have a BFD but I stll actually use it despite the Audyssey doing such great job. The reason is because I use 2 subs, and both are different desings. The sealed Tumult could use a little more boost below 30hz, so I assigned a couple of filters for that. My other sub is a SVS PB+12/2 this one runs entirelly on the Audyssey's "curve".
post #10 of 11 Old 11-19-07, 02:06 AM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Cool thanks for the comparison graphs. That look pretty amazing what the auto eq is doing for the subs. With it that flat I really see no need for the BFD unless you want to tweak things a bit yourself. What are your listening impressions before and after Audessey?