Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Home Theater Receivers | Processors | Amps (http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/)
-   -   Receiver Recommendation (details inside) (http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/66376-receiver-recommendation-details-inside.html)

yoda13 03-20-13 09:29 PM

Re: Receiver Recommendation (details inside)

Normally, I'm a Denon fanboy:D, but between the 2 you've listed, I'd go with the 809 as the 3310 has had a problematic history. The 3311 and up is a different story.

cheers

jfbar167 03-21-13 04:07 PM

As both a 809 and denon (avr-391) owner. I would definitely consider the onkyo for features sound quality and value. But the denon for reliability. Had mine (from afl) for a year and have quite a bit of (the common issues hashed out on other threads) like hdmi issues, loss of network connectivity, and occasional speaker output quits. The denon, while a low end model. Has had no issues what so ever. And I bought that open box (and damaged cosmetically) from best buy. Good luck on your choise. Accessories for less is an excellent vendor and great pricing. I live in Florida and got mine the next day.

ALMFamily 03-21-13 04:19 PM

Quote:

jfbar167 wrote: (Post 600319)
As both a 809 and denon (avr-391) owner. I would definitely consider the onkyo for features sound quality and value. But the denon for reliability. Had mine (from afl) for a year and have quite a bit of (the common issues hashed out on other threads) like hdmi issues, loss of network connectivity, and occasional speaker output quits. The denon, while a low end model. Has had no issues what so ever. And I bought that open box (and damaged cosmetically) from best buy. Good luck on your choise. Accessories for less is an excellent vendor and great pricing. I live in Florida and got mine the next day.

Ironically enough, I have had no issues with my 809 and had to send my 4520 back due to what appeared to be a malfunctioning HDMI board. Every manufacturer is going to have their issues, it really comes down to how good the support is. As long as you go through A4L, I think you would be pleased with either unit - they have top rate CS.

B- one 03-21-13 04:59 PM

I had a denon 4800 demo unit it lasted 7 years before any issues, then it was time to upgrade went with integra 40.3 has been working great for the last 2 years. Quality in decent products to me is in the shipping and handling of products.

steve1616 03-24-13 12:14 AM

One problem is that you can't even tell reliability from one model to the next, let alone past history of a way older model. Every piece of technology seems this way. One model might be gold while the next is horrible. I have even seen sometimes where the same model will have different production runs from 2 different factories and some people get good stuff while the others don't get so lucky.

rab-byte 03-24-13 09:33 AM

Quote:

steve1616 wrote: (Post 600843)
One problem is that you can't even tell reliability from one model to the next, let alone past history of a way older model. Every piece of technology seems this way. One model might be gold while the next is horrible. I have even seen sometimes where the same model will have different production runs from 2 different factories and some people get good stuff while the others don't get so lucky.

I think a good thing to remember is that even models that are "bad" most people will still never see a problem with performance.

Get something that has the power and features you want.

If you're worried about reliability just remember anything can break and most likely wont in the first 4-5 years. If you still worry then get the warranty from whoever you get the AVR from.

eyekode 03-24-13 12:31 PM

I will throw one more option out there: Pioneer SC-1222-K. 530-550 from newegg.
The amplification stage is quite nice. I also really like the iPad app. I is a 7.2 reciever but note that MACAA doesn't eq the two sub outputs separately. Also some complain that you cannot set the crossover differently for each channel. These issues don't bother me a bit as I use a BFD which is much more flexible then most any reciever can manage for sub eq.

I also really like how it handles hdmi passthrough. You can change inputs without turning it on. Also when the reciever is on it by default does not send audio via HDMI. When the reciever is off it does send audio. Very convenient as my wife doesn't really care about the audio or sub.

I have had mine for a month or so and I am quite happy.

Good luck!
Salem

steve1616 03-25-13 01:13 AM

I remember 15 years ago when I was reading about Bob Carvers technology, I thought that everyone was going to have super cheap power in 5 years, but I still don't see them in this list. They were suppose to be cheaper, and I thought it would only be a matter of time to get into big production. Then I saw that these new technology units had super high prices. I ended up getting one cheap because no one wanted them, and I got a discount on the TGR-3 by sunfire.

I wonder if any of these big manufacturers would be interested in this technology. Sorry to get so off on a tangent. I just wonder what all of these receivers on this list would be like with Bob Carver technology.

8086 03-25-13 10:36 AM

Quote:

tonyvdb wrote: (Post 599549)
Just for your info Denon now owns Marantz so not much difference between the two.
As far as the remote I would look into a Harmoney remote, they work well and a re easy to set up.

D&M holdings ownes Denon and Marantz as Well as McIntosh. And a McIntosh doesn't look or sound like a Marantz or a Denon. From how I understand It, the parent company holds the cash and the subsidiaries operate semi-autonomously of each other. My ears have heard some small difference between a Denon and Marantz, and I prefer the M over the D.

Also worth considering here over Denon or Onkyo are Yamaha Aventage :) and Harman-Kardon.

Sevenfeet 03-27-13 07:22 PM

D&M announced a little while ago they were selling McIntosh.

I would have to disagree on Denon and Marantz not sharing stuff. You can see design similarities between their products, especially if you crack them open.

Nevertheless, I'm still a Denon fanboy and I'm looking to replace my venerable 3805 soon. It's given me 10 years of faithful worry-free service. I did have problems with a 1708(?) some years ago...apparently all of them had a design flaw making them easy to blow. I replaced it with a 1610 and that one is performing nicely (it just doesn't have that much power).

I will look at the Onkyo. I have a friend who has had a couple of them over the last decade and I've always liked them.