Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Cinenova Grande refurbish or Acurus or Outlaw?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  8086 
#1 ·
Cinevova Grande has told me if I send in my 10 year old amp they will put in new Torridal transformer new transistors and completely make it new for $600, $400 for the job and shipping there and back. So far ALL IS GOOD (KNOCKING ON WOOD), but I know 10 years is pushing it. So do I get the job done or look at other amps? This amp delivers plenty of power and has a clean output, not sure what to consider, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.:scratch:

#2 ·
You know 10 years is pushing what??? You didn't mention anything wrong with your Cinenova Grande, so I'm assuming that it still works like it has for the last 10 years. Power amplifiers generally last a good long while and I'd say 10 years isn't pushing anything, if you want to keep it a good long while longer a fan setup drawing out the heat will help as heat is it's worst enemy. You have a nice power amplifier, keep using it, if it's not performing like it did when you first bought it, then I'd say there's nobody better at bringing it back up to specs than the original manufacturer.

#3 ·
Agreed, if its working good dont waist your money on a "rebuild" (im surprised Cinenova would even tell you that for a 10 year old amp) as thats garbage 10 years is still new amps built well should last 20 or more years.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I also assumed that a well built amp should perform for a good long while. It is working well except every now and then there is a loud hum coming from the amp. If I turn it off for 30 minutes or so it is not there when I turn it back on then it won't happen again for a while. Have not been able to put my finger on it. I don't think another amp short of spending 5k would compete so I'll hold on to it.:bigsmile:

#5 ·
I agree with everyone. If there is nothing wrong with it, keep it. If it's broken, then you could get a new emotiva for the price of the repair. The only down side I see here is: Emotiva is made in China and the LOCAL repair man will be out of a job.

If you feel the itch to upgrade or improve sound, consider buying some better speakers. Amps improve sound up to a point and then it hits a plateau of diminishing returns (spend way more, get way less back).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.