My Theater Room - Cinema 1858 - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

12Likes

post #11 of 33 Old 06-02-15, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: My Theater Room - Cinema 1858

Thanks! It's a great place to hunker down for a movie or two.
There is absolutely no audible difference in the sound when the screen is in place vs when it is not. I couldn't be happier with the screen. That's a lie. I would be happier if the room was wider and the screen was 2.39:1. But that's not the screen's fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 Old 06-02-15, 04:13 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
thrillcat wrote: View Post
I'm sure I COULD have years of enjoyment, but I'm already mentally planning my next theater. Once I hit the lottery I want to build a new room over my garage to give me more space - wider screen (2.39), more seating, just plain more flexibility.

It never ends. But this room is very cozy and enjoyable.

Looks great!
Move the cars outside, and convert the garage to a HT (that's what we did, and we build a car port for the cars), it will be much cheaper than building a new room over the garage.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #13 of 33 Old 06-02-15, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Yeah, but I live in Iowa. No way I'm giving up my garage in the winter.

post #14 of 33 Old 06-02-15, 04:18 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
Yeah, but I live in Iowa. No way I'm giving up my garage in the winter.

It might be cheaper to build a new garage then to build a new room over your garage...

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #15 of 33 Old 06-02-15, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
It might be cheaper to build a new garage then to build a new room over your garage...

I'll be finding out soon.

It's not going to be as big of a job as it sounds. The way my garage is built, it shares one of its walls with the kitchen, but the garage wall raises above the kitchen and the garage's roof is above the rest of the house at that point. So, in essence, I'm getting a quote on lifting the roof and adding another 10 feet of wall in there, then reattaching. Already have a staircase, but it only leads to storage.

post #16 of 33 Old 06-03-15, 12:18 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Quote:
There is absolutely no audible difference in the sound when the screen is in place vs when it is not.
Awesome. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I happened to stop in to browse one of the well known established B&M stores around here a little while ago, and mentioned my plans for an AT screen and the "experienced" guy seemed pretty intent on talking me out of it. I didn't really put much into what he said, but it did leave a few doubts, so hearing that response is perfect. Thanks!

- OJ -

post #17 of 33 Old 06-03-15, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

The old-school perforated screens have more of an effect on sound than the newer weaved materials.

post #18 of 33 Old 02-09-16, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Well, a few weeks ago I upgraded my projector. A friend down the street upgraded to a 4K Sony, so I bought his Panasonic AE-8000U to replace the Optoma. Very, very big improvement in image, plus it's quieter - almost silent.

The projector had been calibrated last year by Jeff Meier, too, so that's another big plus. Going from a black room to a black room, the only image adjustment that was made (besides zooming and focusing, of course), was a one notch drop in the brightness. Other than that, everything is still spot on. Very happy with this investment.

I guess another thing I did this past fall was to alter my screen aspect ratio. I bought a 4K TV for upstairs, and I've really shifted 95% of my TV watching to the upstairs, and I'm using the theater for only movies and bigger events, bigger games. So I added another velvet wrapped piece of lumber to the bottom of the frame, friction fit inside, effectively changing the aspect ratio to 2:1. I let 16x9 content shoot off the top and bottom. It doesn't really lose anything important, sports graphics are right at the top and bottom edges of the screen. I feel it makes everything a bit more cinematic, and Cinemascope content is shown with smaller letterbox at the top and bottom. If I had the room, I'd have a 2.39:1 screen, but I'm already from side wall to side wall, so this is a nice compromise. I like it, and if I change my mind all I have to do is pull the extra board out and I'm right back to a 16:9 screen.

Had 12 people in there comfortably for the Super Bowl this weekend, everyone thoroughly enjoyed it!

Now how to pay for the new room above the garage....
post #19 of 33 Old 09-08-16, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Well the room above the garage has still not happened...but I've been working on some more updates to my existing room.

In my first remodel, I had taken out the two side walls that consisted of cedar planks and replaced them with drywall. Over the last few weeks, I tore everything out except those two walls, and I've now drywalled the entire room 5/8"X, while filling some leaky spots with Roxul. I've mudded and taped, but will still be covering all seams with the cedar planking that came out to match the side walls, and to give the ceiling a nice, coffered look.

Carpet came out, too. The same friend down the street that I bought the projector from was replacing carpet in his theater, so I took a couple big chunks out of the virtually unused portion of his room and will put them in mine soon...definitely an upgrade over what was there.

I'm going to seal up one of my big windows so I can move the side surrounds to the walls instead of the ceiling. Not that they sounded bad on the ceiling, but I'd like to have them on the walls (future surround speaker upgrade planned to match my LCRs).

In addition to the drywall and soundproofing upgrades, I'm moving my seating forward...it was initially placed a bit far back to allow a workout space, or so I could put my bike in there and watch a movie while I ride on the trainer. Well, I'm not doing that enough to justify the sacrifice, so I'm moving both rows of seating up, and I'm going to extend the riser back and add a low bar & two or three chairs for more overflow seating back there.

I'm also moving my equipment rack to the back of the room, so the whole thing was rewired, too.

Hoping to wrap up soon... here's a couple progress pics.

Back of the room - the creepy blacked out window has been completely sealed over.

Front of the room, will need to build my screen wall in front of this again.
post #20 of 33 Old 09-11-16, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Today I was able to start trimming out the ceiling so I could install the lighting and wore it up, therefore being able to turn the power back on. Made good progress. All downhill from here.