Drummerboy1962 home theater - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

9Likes

post #11 of 22 Old 07-18-16, 08:33 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: Drummerboy1962 home theater

Is that where you position the mic during calibration, or just there for the picture? Ideally, you want the tip of the mic to be at ear level. That looks like it is quite a bit higher than that. Just inquiring! The theater looks great. What model it that Denon amp?
drummerboy1962 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 07-19-16, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Alan

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
Is that where you position the mic during calibration, or just there for the picture? Ideally, you want the tip of the mic to be at ear level. That looks like it is quite a bit higher than that. Just inquiring! The theater looks great. What model it that Denon amp?
That's a good question mate.In my situation I have to be aware of all my speakers placement, as the measurements are between speaker and listening position so my rear speakers are a fair way back from the main listening position so I have to keep that in mind. The backs of the chairs can interfere with the mic so it pays to bring the mic a foot away from the seating position as all these things need to be taken into account when measuring if not then the Audyssey pro will give errors.Thats how sensitive it is. As long as it's close enough then I am going to get great results as the choices I make after the calibration comes into play also.As long as my measurements are within the speakers width and length then that is the main thing in my room..My surrounds are a little higher than normal as they are bookshelf surrounds mounted to the wall so I mounted them a little higher as to not bump my head.But the good thing about it is that I have angled them at the main listening position.The results I am getting are fantastic and very atmospheric. Not atmos but pretty good.My main listening position is elevated off the floor on a riser.The Denon amp is the 10 channel POA-A1HD and the pre/pro is the matching AVP-A1HD with the DVD-A1UD universal disc player.Denon named them "The Imperial Death Star"
post #13 of 22 Old 07-19-16, 04:15 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

I can't see the reasoning behind measuring/tuning the system to where your head is not. But I capitulate not knowing anything about how the Audyssey Pro works. With REW, you want the mic where your ears are. The sound that changes because of where the seat back is needs to be addressed since that is where your head will be during the movie. Do you have the ability to analyze each way with REW & compare results?
post #14 of 22 Old 07-19-16, 04:41 PM

Ron

My System

When I ran my room tune... I put a blanket over the MLP seat so there would be no reflections, and I put the mic a few inches from the headrest (you can always recline the seats to help too). Our mic was then positioned just a bit above where my ears are. Our sides, and surrounds are high up on the walls and come with brackets that angle them downward...so I had some custom hinge brackets made that angle the speakers to where they are aimed at the MLP. The most important thing is to get the mic in the exact spot every time you run a tune, as if you don't your distances, and delays can be different. I struggled with this part until I made a separate mount for the 1st mic position...now I can get exactly the same measurement every time for the 1st mic position.

Previously I have run the MLP mic position halfway between the front row, and the 2nd row with excellent results. With my current setup, I will be doing a front row MLP for stereo, a 2nd row MLP for stereo, and a front row for surround tune. I am doing it this way in our setup, because the 2nd row has much more bass being over the rear sub, and the front row is more spacious. Now I will be able to listen in the front row with the MLP tune, or in the 2nd row with a MLP tune. Now I know that most people do not have the capability of having multiple MLP tunes, but I do, so I am taking advantage of it.

Everyone has different tastes, and room configs, so my advise is to try different MLP mic positions, and see what makes you happiest.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #15 of 22 Old 07-19-16, 06:28 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Agreed that if it sounds good to the owner, then that is perfect.

But if I put a blanket on the chair for tuning, & it made a difference, it would seem to me that you would have to leave the blanket there for watching the movie. Kinda like Wayne's' magic pillow.
ellisr63 and drummerboy1962 like this.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-19-16, 06:40 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
Agreed that if it sounds good to the owner, then that is perfect.

But if I put a blanket on the chair for tuning, & it made a difference, it would seem to me that you would have to leave the blanket there for watching the movie. Kinda like Wayne's' magic pillow.
Your body will be the blanket when you are sitting there.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #17 of 22 Old 07-19-16, 06:47 PM

Ron

My System

That Denon amp is beautiful! Why do they put 3 meters on a 10 channel amp?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #18 of 22 Old 07-19-16, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Alan

Quote:
I can't see the reasoning behind measuring/tuning the system to where your head is not. But I capitulate not knowing anything about how the Audyssey Pro works. With REW, you want the mic where your ears are. The sound that changes because of where the seat back is needs to be addressed since that is where your head will be during the movie. Do you have the ability to analyze each way with REW & compare results?
My head is only a foot or so away from Ear height and its that close that I can't see any reason why it would not give me good results. I have put the mike at ear height and when measuring the back speakers I have got errors with the pro kit. Standard Audyssey(mic that came with the AVP) was fine. The Audyssey pro kit picks up every detail as I had my right front speaker cable loose and it gave me an error but as soon as I tightened it up it was fine and I could continue. Different situations require different approaches.Audyssey is a standard and the rest is up to us.Thats the way I see it.
post #19 of 22 Old 07-19-16, 11:02 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

That's what important. I wish I could hear that amp. That has got to be the coolest looking amp I've seen. I would love to have one, but that thing is out of my price range. Oh well, one day!
post #20 of 22 Old 07-20-16, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Alan

I wish you could too mate.The amp is a beast and weighs in at 67kg and takes 2 to lift it.You can't buy them new in Australia anymore and i got mine second hand but having said that, the guy i bought it off is an ultra high end stereo enthusiast and when i say ultra high end i mean ULTRA. His gear is very expensive an puts mine to shame.Anyway he had this amp that was hardly being used and when it was delivered to my place it even had the blue plastic on the front of the amp(talk about white gloves).I got it for a little over 6 grand australian dollars which i thought was a great deal. It has never given me any problem in all the time i have had it.He even shipped it on a crate for me.Great guy to deal with.Thank god for these forums as you can get some great deals and make great friends.I hope you get something like this one day mate.But you are quite right it pays to place the mic at ear height as that is all part off the standard but it just did not work for me because of the back speakers and the backs of the chair.

Fame is a mask that eats into the face