My Man Cave - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 28 Old 02-15-11, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
My Man Cave

My first dedicated room

I spent very little, I did all the work myself. This is awesome to my liking, others here have spent 20X times what I spent. This suits me fine. Currently waiting for 2011 recievers to come out and upgrade with external emotiva amps. I need more power and a healthy sub system.

Older 5.1 Onkyo driving 8 speakers and no sub - need a new avr to switch video, and more power
who says min of 6ohms??

Athena Technologies Audition Series
AS-F2 - L & R
AS-C1 - Centers - Times 2
AS-B2 - surrounds
AS-B1 - surrounds

AE4000 projector
135" Fixed Frame Screen

HTPC
x64 Win 7
20HDD Disk 4U Server Case with only 8HDD installed
5.8TB - Full
4 TB of movies - 80% 720P or better
HDMI out
Gyration Music Remote via RF controling everything from anywhere in the house, and outside
Ir blasters, etc....
Leaning towards voice recognition, but have doubts

Xbox 360
Xbox
Wii

Before Furniture

After Furniture

Last edited by Nissan-SR20-Man; 02-18-11 at 07:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-15-11, 06:41 PM
Elite Shackster

engtaz

My System
Re: My Man Cave

Sweet setup. Congrats

Don't you like how music can make a bad day better.
post #3 of 28 Old 02-15-11, 07:16 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Nice room! I really need to get my theater going, seeing all these builds and helping a family member on theirs is starting to make me envious.
post #4 of 28 Old 02-15-11, 09:41 PM

Very nice room. Good work, now go enjoy some movies.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-15-11, 10:30 PM
Senior Shackster

Steffen

Very nice!!! Love the red/black. my two favorite colors!!! Definitely very cool.

Steffen Harris
www.steffenharris.com
"A photograph is like the recipe - a memory the finished dish"
post #6 of 28 Old 02-16-11, 12:53 PM
Senior Shackster

Scott

My System

Very nice indeed. You may think about bringing in the fronts a bit - from the side walls that is. Even a few inches may improve the imaging and bass response but just a thought. Can't tell what it sounds like from the picture. Best of luck. Very classy indeed!

I would have written less but I didn't have the time.
post #7 of 28 Old 02-16-11, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Quote:
smurphy522 wrote: View Post
You may think about bringing in the fronts a bit - from the side walls that is. Even a few inches may improve the imaging and bass response but just a thought. Can't tell what it sounds like from the picture. Best of luck.
I bought the F,L,C,SR L, and SR R brand new from Best Buy. Fell in love, my first real speakers and new. I have been operating on old Onkyo 90x5 (brochure, actually only 90x2 and like 35x5???)

I bought another center and rear surround pair from ebay - $60 total

I want a used onkyo 1007-3007 or newer 08' series when 2011's hit. An external emotiva for fronts + AVR for other sounds good. A new, not out yet Emotiva XPR-7 @350 RMS x 7 @8 ohms makes me weak in the knees. More power from an AVR and then possibly external amp would wake up the room.

The fronts really need more power. Manufacture 250 RMS rating and I've got no more than 90.

The room was a totally unfinished basement. I did everything in about 6-7 months and saved a ton of $$$.

13' x 45' room fully insulated and drywalled. 12ga in wall rated speaker wire with binding post plates in seven locations. Dual sub rca wall plate. Master plate with all speaker, sub and HDMI video connections to DIY rack. DIY flush mount wall rack with painted black wood shelves. 40A of dedicated power with 8 duplex outlets. Remote control dimmers.

NEVER PAINT RED! - 5 coats of sherwin williams top duration on the walls and it looks great. But it cost me...mental note - make the wife pick a different color.

The risers are just 2"x10" on edge, boxes with plywood (10" front, 20" rear) - total cost about $120. I covered them with scrap carpet and padding from the basement.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-16-11, 09:51 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Sherwin Williams and it took 5 coats? WOW. And I'm assuming you did a primer?

Nice setup. I wish my wife would have let me do 3 rows with risers.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-18-11, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

[QUOTE=HuskerOmaha;416150]Sherwin Williams and it took 5 coats? WOW. And I'm assuming you did a primer?\QUOTE]

I used the Sherwin Williams super duper color match primer technology.... Yeah the grey primer, and it didn't make it any easier.

Something like this, due to red having so much pigment, the ratio from pigment to base coat is way off. this only happens to reds I guess.

Either way 2 gallons per coat, 5 coats... do the math. I believe the new stuff from lowes with primer in it would have done better at half the cost of SW

I called SW and also submitted emails, not ripping them, but complaining that I believe the paint is inferior. They pretty much laughed at me and blamed the "painting technician" aka me. I bought their rollers, their primer, their paint, their tape..hmmmmm I have never heard so many excuses before.

I had about $450-500 in red, $120 in Grey for ceiling, and $75 in primer plus all of the other . Not happy, could have bought an AVR for that.

Oh Well
post #10 of 28 Old 02-18-11, 12:25 PM
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System

Cool setup! Curious, why are there (apparently) two pairs of side surrounds - two on the floor on stands, and two on brackets on the side walls?

My HT construction thread

XBox Live ID: Atomic Hamper