It's alive!!! - Page 14 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #131 of 194 Old 11-18-13, 03:40 PM
Shackster

My System
Re: It's alive!!!

Just caught up on the past 13 pages here. I really like everything you did. I'm thrilled to see someone post a theater build this nice that proves it doesn't have to look like a movie theater. I'm working on something similar right now.

Funny to see you move from the Yamaha to the Denon, I agonized over the decision for a long time, but I finally brought a few home and the Yamaha just sang to me. I haven't regretted it yet, but it is temporarily in my living room as I build the HT. Are you glad you moved to Audyssey?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 194 Old 11-18-13, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
rdcollns wrote: View Post
Just caught up on the past 13 pages here. I really like everything you did. I'm thrilled to see someone post a theater build this nice that proves it doesn't have to look like a movie theater. I'm working on something similar right now.

Funny to see you move from the Yamaha to the Denon, I agonized over the decision for a long time, but I finally brought a few home and the Yamaha just sang to me. I haven't regretted it yet, but it is temporarily in my living room as I build the HT. Are you glad you moved to Audyssey?
Thanks for the kind words on what I was able to achieve at my room and with the understanding it wasn't a traditional home theater room, but more like a multi-purpose room. If I can help you in any way sharing information on what I did at my room don't hesitate to hit me via PM and I'll do my best to provide information (including the mistakes that I made.......LOL).

About the Yammy, what an amazing AVR it was. The main reason I finally decided to exchange it for the Denon was due to Audyssey XT32 (as it can EQ two subwoofers). I didn't have that feature on my RX-A1010.

Actually, I was using a Velodyne SMS-1 to EQ my subwoofers. Only problem, it was measuring the two SVS Ultras and applying the same equalization to both of them (like they were just one)!

Now, after the addition of the Denon, I noticed the subs output was reduced (Audyssey was balancing the output of the subs with the rest of the speakers) it took me a while to get used to that. But, the whole sound integration was significantly improved. The surround speakers came to live immediately, as the fronts were not overpowering the other speakers, etc.

Center channel was still a big disappointment, but down the road I finally realized it wasn't the speaker or the AVR, it was my room the problem!!!

I recently added acoustic treatments and now I can enjoy my center channel without the need of increasing the level of that speaker.

So, not right away, but eventually you really need to consider to add acoustic treatments for your room. I went with solid colors on the fabrics. But, if you are interested there is a thread with DIY acoustic panels that look like movie posters. Let me know if you want to look at that and I'll share the link with you.

Cheers!
post #133 of 194 Old 11-18-13, 06:08 PM
Shackster

With regard to the center speaker - placing it inside the rack is not optimal. I had mine inside a rack too but it wasn't till we took it out of the rack and moved it forward onto a stand did it come alive, more open and natural. I would suggest you try this (as an experiment). Yes? Hope i haven't caused you any consternation; suggestions can do that us audio buffs.
post #134 of 194 Old 11-18-13, 06:22 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
cr136124 wrote: View Post
Thanks for the kind words on what I was able to achieve at my room and with the understanding it wasn't a traditional home theater room, but more like a multi-purpose room. If I can help you in any way sharing information on what I did at my room don't hesitate to hit me via PM and I'll do my best to provide information (including the mistakes that I made.......LOL).

About the Yammy, what an amazing AVR it was. The main reason I finally decided to exchange it for the Denon was due to Audyssey XT32 (as it can EQ two subwoofers). I didn't have that feature on my RX-A1010.

Actually, I was using a Velodyne SMS-1 to EQ my subwoofers. Only problem, it was measuring the two SVS Ultras and applying the same equalization to both of them (like they were just one)!

Now, after the addition of the Denon, I noticed the subs output was reduced (Audyssey was balancing the output of the subs with the rest of the speakers) it took me a while to get used to that. But, the whole sound integration was significantly improved. The surround speakers came to live immediately, as the fronts were not overpowering the other speakers, etc.

Center channel was still a big disappointment, but down the road I finally realized it wasn't the speaker or the AVR, it was my room the problem!!!

I recently added acoustic treatments and now I can enjoy my center channel without the need of increasing the level of that speaker.

So, not right away, but eventually you really need to consider to add acoustic treatments for your room. I went with solid colors on the fabrics. But, if you are interested there is a thread with DIY acoustic panels that look like movie posters. Let me know if you want to look at that and I'll share the link with you.

Cheers!
I actually demoed the 1020, but bought a 2000 on ebay. That being said, I am fairly certain that they still don't EQ the subwoofers at all, but I don't have one just yet, so that isn't an issue for me until probably a couple years after the basement is finished (basement, projector, then sub). I have a crazy space, and I won't put carpet in a basement, so I'm working on several ideas to try to keep it quiet. My biggest fear is that I have a wall inches from one speaker, and a pool table on the other side. There is absolutely no symmetry.
post #135 of 194 Old 11-18-13, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Orbitron wrote: View Post
With regard to the center speaker - placing it inside the rack is not optimal. I had mine inside a rack too but it wasn't till we took it out of the rack and moved it forward onto a stand did it come alive, more open and natural. I would suggest you try this (as an experiment). Yes? Hope i haven't caused you any consternation; suggestions can do that us audio buffs.
Yes, I tried that (center channel speaker) on top of the AV console (that was back then when I was sporting a 51" Plasma HDTV).

Of course, right after I installed the 120" fixed screen, I had to move the speaker back to its original location inside the AV Console. However, I made a change pulling the speaker a bit forward to reduce / avoid first reflections. It did help a bit, but once again the acoustic panels did the trick for me.

Time, experimentation and willingness to do it is very important in this hobby...........

All comments and recommendations are always welcomed............cheers!
post #136 of 194 Old 11-18-13, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
rdcollns wrote: View Post
I actually demoed the 1020, but bought a 2000 on ebay. That being said, I am fairly certain that they still don't EQ the subwoofers at all, but I don't have one just yet, so that isn't an issue for me until probably a couple years after the basement is finished (basement, projector, then sub). I have a crazy space, and I won't put carpet in a basement, so I'm working on several ideas to try to keep it quiet. My biggest fear is that I have a wall inches from one speaker, and a pool table on the other side. There is absolutely no symmetry.
I think you did well on pulling the trigger on the 2000 over the 1020. Hopefully to scored a good deal at eBay. I managed to score few pieces of my gear as second hand units still under warranty............

Cool thing is that you are not in a hurry, so your Yammy should be able to keep you happy until your basement is done and during that time perhaps you will be able to score a really nice subwoofer. How big is the room? There are other folks dealing with open rooms and they are able to get good results at them.

Hopefully, you will have some flexibility to locate / install your subwoofer. So, you can find the right spot for the sub that will yield on maximum performance and maximum output...............
post #137 of 194 Old 11-25-13, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Say hello to the new addition to my family............PlayStation family of course.........

PS1 to the left and PS4 to the far right.

Lights off........PS4 is the straight orange light to the right. Perfect match with the Emotiva amps!

post #138 of 194 Old 11-25-13, 08:43 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
I see 5 units sitting there don't I? What's the other unit? I only have a PS-2 and 2-NES and a Super NES. The newer games are not for me I don't like the controllers or the game play as much.
post #139 of 194 Old 11-25-13, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
B- one wrote: View Post
I see 5 units sitting there don't I? What's the other unit? I only have a PS-2 and 2-NES and a Super NES. The newer games are not for me I don't like the controllers or the game play as much.
From left to right:

Playstation
Playstation 2
PS3 (Launch unit)
PS3 Slim
PS4 (Launch unit)

I still enjoy playing video games a lot, but I have very limited time to do it. It is just amazing how things evolved from the very first consoles. Only thing I can say.............It has been a fun ride
post #140 of 194 Old 11-25-13, 09:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
Okay I have heard of the "slim" before thanks for filling the old guy in.