It's alive!!! - Page 15 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #141 of 194 Old 11-26-13, 12:34 AM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System
Re: It's alive!!!

Quote:
cr136124 wrote: View Post
Say hello to the new addition to my family............PlayStation family of course.........

PS1 to the left and PS4 to the far right.

I remember thinking how good gaming consoles were getting with the Intellivision. I imagine the PS4 is pretty spectacular. My son recently sold his PS3. He's mentioned a PS4 a few times - only a matter of time. If his PS2 hadn't been up to date, firmware-wise, I'd have it now - only way I know that one can rip SACDs (but only with an older firmware revision). I have a bunch of them that I'd love to have available as hi-res files for the media player.

Speaking of which, have you discovered whether or not the Denon player can transition files seamlessly?

That's a neat collection of consoles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 194 Old 12-08-13, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
kevin360 wrote: View Post
I remember thinking how good gaming consoles were getting with the Intellivision. I imagine the PS4 is pretty spectacular. My son recently sold his PS3. He's mentioned a PS4 a few times - only a matter of time. If his PS2 hadn't been up to date, firmware-wise, I'd have it now - only way I know that one can rip SACDs (but only with an older firmware revision). I have a bunch of them that I'd love to have available as hi-res files for the media player.

Speaking of which, have you discovered whether or not the Denon player can transition files seamlessly?

That's a neat collection of consoles.
I really like the PS4. However, they are few features that have not been released yet. Hopefully sooner than later Sony will put together a new firmware update to have all these features up and running in this machine.

One part that sucks about the PS4 is that is not backward compatible. In other words, you can't play your currently owned PS3 games. So, I hope your son was able to sell the PS3 + all games for that machine.

One of the reasons, I still have two PS3 consoles at home.............

About the Denon, I didn't have the chance to try the transition files yet. I don't have a disc to try that and a friend offered me one to try it, but I'm still waiting for that disc................

Thanks I do love my collection too. The really cool part is that all these consoles are still fully functional.........
post #143 of 194 Old 12-08-13, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Here we go again...................I'm putting together a 2.1 system for my home office (basement).

I'm using my old but trusty Onkyo TX-SR804 as pre/pro and a Marantz CC4300 CD Changer.

To drive the speakers, I recently scored a Carver TFM-35 at the Polk Audio Forum. Here few pics of the unit:

Here a couple of pics of these components:

Next item that I was able to add is a pair of Polk Audio LSi 7's - Ebony:

Now, here is the system in a temporary configuration:

Not pretty, but at least I know that everything works! Well, except for the lights on the Carver's meters. But, I already have the information needed to repair them (DIY project).

Next items to add:

Sealed subwoofer
Speaker stands

It never ends............
post #144 of 194 Old 12-08-13, 11:54 PM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System

Of all the possible times you could add to this thread, it had to be tonight. I sent my dealer an email and saw that you had responded. Your thread is titled, "It's alive!!!" The subject of my email was, "It's dead!!!" My projector took a dump this evening - pardon the phone pic, but here's its problem.

It's alive!!!-2013-12-08_22-02-04_629.jpg

Oh well, it'll get repaired, but I doubt I'll have it back in time for the college bowl games. I guess I'll have to watch them on a little 47" TV. On a brighter note, congrats on scoring the Carver TFM-35. Many moons ago, I had some Carver gear - a C-1 preamp (with sonic holography) and a pair of M-400t amps which I bought to drive a pair of Bose 901s (that I decided not to keep). Hey, we all make mistakes.

It's alive!!!-bose-carver.jpg

Don't sweat the info on the Marantz unit. It's really not a big deal. I was just curious. I don't need any more systems. I was thinking about the garage, but I just dropped a cable (coax, digital) from the BDP-1 upstairs to an old Acurus ACT-3 (upgraded to Aragon Stage One innards) which feeds an Acurus A200 that is driving a small pair of Klipsch loudspeakers (sorry, don't remember the model). I can control the player up in the cave from the garage with my phone. Isn't technology neat?

Last edited by kevin360; 12-08-13 at 11:59 PM.
post #145 of 194 Old 12-09-13, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

That sucks Kevin! Hopefully you will have your PJ repaired and back home in no time.

That Carver cube looks pretty cool! And good call on running the optical wire to your garage and control the system using your phone. Yes, tech now days is impressive and I can't wait for what is going to bring us in the next few years.

So, you have an Acurus too. I was planning on buying an Acurus amp originally, but I didn't find one available, in good shape and at the right price. But, the Carver is doing wonders for me.

Take care!
post #146 of 194 Old 12-09-13, 09:07 PM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System

Yeah, stuff like that happens, but it's nothing that can't be repaired. Still it's a bummer.

Those little Polks look really nice. I was curious, so I researched them a bit. They are really nice. Combined with a good, sealed sub, they should be terrific speakers for your office system. Isn't it great to re-purpose old gear like that Onkyo pre/pro? That's what I did with the Acurus stuff too. It's been languishing in a closet for a few years (along with a bunch of other gear); now it's in system #6 - music everywhere. It looks like you are in the same boat.

My son didn't buy the PS4 (at least, not yet). Instead, he's going to California with a videographer friend of his. They're going to cover a UFC event. His friend has been trying to get him into the loop as a photographer and one of the big wigs invited my son out there for a week. He's stoked! He feels a bit weird about spending Christmas with people he doesn't know (aside from his friend), but it's an opportunity he couldn't decline.

The progress of technology never ceases to amaze me. The first disk drive I repaired was a CDC 96MB that cost around $60K and was a huge device that ran on 208V, 3-phase power. It used screw-in, 10-platter disk packs. Now, I have a few 2TB disks that fit in my shirt pocket and cost a whopping $100 each. I've pretty much transferred my entire music collection to those things. The convenience of playing tunes these days was unimaginable when I was young. I may be ascending through my 50s, but I love modern technology.
post #147 of 194 Old 12-10-13, 06:28 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
cr136124 wrote: View Post
I think you did well on pulling the trigger on the 2000 over the 1020. Hopefully to scored a good deal at eBay. I managed to score few pieces of my gear as second hand units still under warranty............

Cool thing is that you are not in a hurry, so your Yammy should be able to keep you happy until your basement is done and during that time perhaps you will be able to score a really nice subwoofer. How big is the room? There are other folks dealing with open rooms and they are able to get good results at them.

Hopefully, you will have some flexibility to locate / install your subwoofer. So, you can find the right spot for the sub that will yield on maximum performance and maximum output...............
I have about 550 sqft with the theater in the middle of an L with a bar behind and a pool table to the side. I've been reading a lot about acoustics, and I'm doing a little with insulation in the walls and ceiling to help, but aside from that I just planned on playing around after the fact.
post #148 of 194 Old 12-16-13, 09:06 AM
Shackster

wow cool thread. I see you have changes the set a few times. tons of equipment and lots of amps. I need to go through the whole thread some time and see the evolution of what is now
post #149 of 194 Old 12-17-13, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
rdcollns wrote: View Post
I have about 550 sqft with the theater in the middle of an L with a bar behind and a pool table to the side. I've been reading a lot about acoustics, and I'm doing a little with insulation in the walls and ceiling to help, but aside from that I just planned on playing around after the fact.
That is cool, it took me more than a year to finally built and install my acoustic panels..............

So, there is no need to rush things up. Enjoy it!
post #150 of 194 Old 12-17-13, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
100pr00f wrote: View Post
wow cool thread. I see you have changes the set a few times. tons of equipment and lots of amps. I need to go through the whole thread some time and see the evolution of what is now
Thanks a lot for the kind words and yes, a lot of changes have been done to the room and to the gear (upgrades).

This is a very expensive hobby (at least for me) and therefore, I try to find the best deals available. Actually, I scored a Carver TFM-35 amp recently and the main issue was the meter lights weren't working. Few friends at a different forum were able to point me in the right direction, after some reading, guidance, a small investment (parts) and some free time here is the end result: