It's alive!!! - Page 16 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #151 of 194 Old 12-18-13, 08:13 PM
Banned!

Re: It's alive!!!

OP:

Your setup looks really familiar like we've talked before about it...were you on/are you on Blu-ray.com?

Lovin' your Polks as a Polk fan myself -- I'm running RTi12s in my HT and previously ran R20s in my two-channel system; right now, like you, I have Onkyo componentry (a TX-8555 stereo receiver) and Marantz CD changer (a CC4001 five-disc model) running in the stereo rig...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 194 Old 12-18-13, 08:15 PM
Banned!

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
Very clean looking setup. Not sure I would categorize 51" display as small
Neither would I, J, being the owner of a 50" SXRD...
post #153 of 194 Old 12-18-13, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Osage_Winter wrote: View Post
OP:

Your setup looks really familiar like we've talked before about it...were you on/are you on Blu-ray.com?

Lovin' your Polks as a Polk fan myself -- I'm running RTi12s in my HT and previously ran R20s in my two-channel system; right now, like you, I have Onkyo componentry (a TX-8555 stereo receiver) and Marantz CD changer (a CC4001 five-disc model) running in the stereo rig...
Yes, I have a gallery at the Blu-ray.com, and I go by cr136124 at that site too. So, perhaps we already exchange some comments in there.

Polk Audio has always been a very special brand to me. Probably because when I was just starting my career I look at their speakers thinking............someday, someday I'll be able to buy a nice set of these beauties.

The RTi 12's and RTi A9's are pretty much the same speakers, it is the cabinet which is different. But, other than that we are sporting the same speakers at our HT. And these babies rock!!!

Are you using external amp with them, or you are letting your AVR to drive them directly?

It is funny you also have a stereo rig with basically the same components I'm using on mine (Onkyo AVR, and a Marantz 5 discs CD changer).

So, any big Christmas present that you are giving to yourself next week? Tell us, we won't tell your wife......

Quote:
Neither would I, J, being the owner of a 50" SXRD...
LOL........I know, I know! But to be honest, after I built the AV Console the 51" HDTV just looked out of proportion. The Sammy 51" was relocated to my bedroom and oh boy, what a difference compared to the 42" that we were using there before. Wife was really happy with the upgrade!

post #154 of 194 Old 12-18-13, 08:41 PM
Banned!

Quote:
cr136124 wrote: View Post
Yes, I have a gallery at the Blu-ray.com, and I go by cr136124 at that site too. So, perhaps we already exchange some comments in there.
Indeed...I KNOW I have spoken to you about your setup...

The problem is they ban more people over there faster than Obama's care plan gets challenged by Congress on a daily basis...

Quote:
Polk Audio has always been a very special brand to me. Probably because when I was just starting my career I look at their speakers thinking............someday, someday I'll be able to buy a nice set of these beauties.
They're special to me too being that they were the first brand I've ever experienced first getting into the hobby -- and I still feel they are the "high end on a beer budget" brand that everyone could love...of course, many of their lines are NOT "beer budget" priced as if we didn't find our RTi12s on a closeout deal we never would have been able to afford them, but...

And then there's their more expensive LSi line...

Quote:
The RTi 12's and RTi A9's are pretty much the same speakers, it is the cabinet which is different. But, other than that we are sporting the same speakers at our HT. And these babies rock!!!
Right -- the only difference is, as I understand it, the rounded "more anti-resonant" (according to Polk) cabinets on the A9's as well as their slightly different "leveling feet"; otherwise, from all accounts, they're the same speakers...

Quote:
Are you using external amp with them, or you are letting your AVR to drive them directly?
My Onkyo 605, believe it or not, crossed over at 60Hz for the RTi12s, are running the whole show with no problems and loads of sound (though I am considering external amplification for possible increased headroom)...

Quote:
It is funny you also have a stereo rig with basically the same components I'm using on mine (Onkyo AVR, and a Marantz 5 discs CD changer).
Indeed; though you're running your two-channel system with a Carver external amp and I'm driving my Infinity 363 towers with an Onkyo 8555 stereo receiver (AWESOME receiver by the way with integrated amp-like qualities and feel)...how do you like your Marantz receiver? To be honest, mine has given me playback issues from day one...

Quote:
So, any big Christmas present that you are giving to yourself next week? Tell us, we won't tell your wife......
I WISH, I wish...money is ridiculously tight, as always...I don't make a whole lot being a professional freelance writer even for multiple publications and online portals...my wife's job makes up the rest. I do have two things I need to upgrade soon though: Our display and subwoofer. Looking at possibly an 80-inch Sharp LCD and an SVS sub...

Quote:
LOL........I know, I know! But to be honest, after I built the AV Console the 51" HDTV just looked out of proportion. The Sammy 51" was relocated to my bedroom and oh boy, what a difference compared to the 42" that we were using there before. Wife was really happy with the upgrade!
What are you runnin' in the main HT room now?

Our 50" SXRD is enclosed in a wall unit piece so it doesn't look "small" in our living room, even flanked by the RTi12s that sit on the outer sides of the entertainment center's left and right "cabinet tower" pieces...

Last edited by Osage_Winter; 12-18-13 at 08:49 PM.
post #155 of 194 Old 12-18-13, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Indeed...I KNOW I have spoken to you about your setup...

The problem is they ban more people over there faster than Obama's care plan gets challenged by Congress on a daily basis...
LOL........oh well, glad that we are back in touch!

Quote:
They're special to me too being that they were the first brand I've ever experienced first getting into the hobby -- and I still feel they are the "high end on a beer budget" brand that everyone could love...of course, many of their lines are NOT "beer budget" priced as if we didn't find our RTi12s on a closeout deal we never would have been able to afford them, but...
Same here, only reason I was able to score the A9's was because I waited a very long time until they were on sale. Yes, there are other folks with a different opinion, but until they buy me with their money a "better" speaker, then I'll be enjoying my system will all my Polk Audio speakers........

Quote:
And then there's their more expensive LSi line...
But, even on cases like that, you can still score few good deals online. Yes, they do not happen often, but they pop up from time to time. I'll report on that later............

Quote:
Right -- the only difference is, as I understand it, the rounded "more anti-resonant" (according to Polk) cabinets on the A9's as well as their slightly different "leveling feet"; otherwise, from all accounts, they're the same speakers...
Same speakers IMHO!

Quote:
My Onkyo 605, believe it or not, crossed over at 60Hz for the RTi12s, are running the whole show with no problems and loads of sound (though I am considering external amplification for possible increased headroom)...
I have a Denon and after Audyssey was completed the A9's were crossed over at 40 Hz! But, due to the subs that I have at my room I switched them back to 80 Hz.

Quote:
Indeed; though you're running your two-channel system with a Carver external amp and I'm driving my Infinity 363 towers with an Onkyo 8555 stereo receiver (AWESOME receiver by the way with integrated amp-like qualities and feel)...how do you like your Marantz receiver? To be honest, mine has given me playback issues from day one...
Actually the receiver is the Onkyo TX-SR804. The Marantz is the 5 disc CD Changer. I didn't have any issue with the Marantz unit. Other that is missing the remote control. I received this unit "free" when I purchased my first power conditioner locally. The lady that sold the Panamax wanted $10.00 for the Marantz, but I was not really interested on that unit. So, when I was about to leave, she just gave it to me (it was a relocation and I guess for her was just one item less to pack).

I was like "free", yeah why not....I'll take it. For several months it was at my closed without use. Oh boy, I have been using it a lot lately!

Quote:
I WISH, I wish...money is ridiculously tight, as always...I don't make a whole lot being a professional freelance writer even for multiple publications and online portals...my wife's job makes up the rest. I do have two things I need to upgrade soon though: Our display and subwoofer. Looking at possibly an 80-inch Sharp LCD and an SVS sub...
Yes, things are very tight. Hopefully, things will improve next year and you will be able to close few more deals. But, it is really nice you have a partner that is right with you. In my case I went crazy already buying the Carver and the speakers. But, oh well, I did score a good deal during blackfriday and I ended up with a nice credit from AT&T that I'm going to use it to balance the two toys that I purchased.

Quote:
What are you runnin' in the main HT room now?
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000
Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Amp - Emotiva XPA-2 (fronts)
Amp - Emotiva XPA-5 (front heights, center and wides)
Amp - Emotiva XPA-5 (surrounds and back surrounds)
Front speakers - RTi A9's
Center speaker - RTi CSi A6
Front Heights - 265-RT
Wides - 90-RT
Surround - RTi A9's
Back Surround - FXi A6
BR Player - Oppo 103
Video Game Console - PS4
Subwoofer Front - SVS PB13-Ultra X 2
Subwoofer Back - PSA XS30 American Cherry

Quote:
Our 50" SXRD is enclosed in a wall unit piece so it doesn't look "small" in our living room, even flanked by the RTi12s that sit on the outer sides of the entertainment center's left and right "cabinet tower" pieces...
Cool! You have to post a couple of pics of your setup.

Well now you know where I live, so please stop by anytime..........
post #156 of 194 Old 12-19-13, 09:03 PM
Banned!

Quote:
LOL........oh well, glad that we are back in touch!
Me as well.

Quote:
Same here, only reason I was able to score the A9's was because I waited a very long time until they were on sale. Yes, there are other folks with a different opinion, but until they buy me with their money a "better" speaker, then I'll be enjoying my system will all my Polk Audio speakers........
I totally agree -- there's NOTHING wrong with their speaker lines, from top to bottom as far as I'm concerned and when Shane Buettner, former editor of Home Theater Magazine, did a spotlight piece in one of the issues on the company when he visited their headquarters in Baltimore and raved about their speakers that "kick serious butt" (he used a different word there) I was even more convinced.

Quote:
But, even on cases like that, you can still score few good deals online. Yes, they do not happen often, but they pop up from time to time. I'll report on that later............
Sure, but I'm just saying that their LSi line is pretty premium for most folks...

Quote:
Same speakers IMHO!
They are indeed.

Quote:
I have a Denon and after Audyssey was completed the A9's were crossed over at 40 Hz! But, due to the subs that I have at my room I switched them back to 80 Hz.
What most people don't know is that Audyssey DOESN'T set the crossover points, the AVR is doing that based on tactical feedback from Audyssey's room/speaker measurement sweeps -- but yeah 40Hz is pretty low; I never experimented with frequencies lower than 60 for my RTi12s because I was advised that the 60Hz point would "allow the RTi12s to flex some of their muscle while still giving my sub a good workout with signals 60Hz and below..." which made sense to me.

Quote:
Actually the receiver is the Onkyo TX-SR804. The Marantz is the 5 disc CD Changer. I didn't have any issue with the Marantz unit. Other that is missing the remote control. I received this unit "free" when I purchased my first power conditioner locally. The lady that sold the Panamax wanted $10.00 for the Marantz, but I was not really interested on that unit. So, when I was about to leave, she just gave it to me (it was a relocation and I guess for her was just one item less to pack).

I was like "free", yeah why not....I'll take it. For several months it was at my closed without use. Oh boy, I have been using it a lot lately!
Nothing like free. But I have to say, I think Marantz's quality has gone downhill, at least in the company's audio/two-channel-specific gear...I have owned many pieces by them over the years in terms of musical gear including the world's first consumer-grade CD recorder (the DR700 I think it was) plus multiple audiophile-grade CD changers bought in boutique shops that were still around at the time. All of them ended crapping out on me and I took a chance with this newer CC4001, which has turned out to be nearly as unreliable with a very sensitive laser that skips on CDs with barely any scratches and a memory system for programming that refuses to remember the programming sequence of five discs when I punch it in. I really want to dump the Marantz and get Onkyo's six-disc unit as it looks like a beauty and would match my 8555 stereo receiver:

Quote:
Yes, things are very tight. Hopefully, things will improve next year and you will be able to close few more deals. But, it is really nice you have a partner that is right with you. In my case I went crazy already buying the Carver and the speakers. But, oh well, I did score a good deal during blackfriday and I ended up with a nice credit from AT&T that I'm going to use it to balance the two toys that I purchased.
I'm hoping to get something more full-time after the new year...

Quote:
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000
Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Amp - Emotiva XPA-2 (fronts)
Amp - Emotiva XPA-5 (front heights, center and wides)
Amp - Emotiva XPA-5 (surrounds and back surrounds)
Front speakers - RTi A9's
Center speaker - RTi CSi A6
Front Heights - 265-RT
Wides - 90-RT
Surround - RTi A9's
Back Surround - FXi A6
BR Player - Oppo 103
Video Game Console - PS4
Subwoofer Front - SVS PB13-Ultra X 2
Subwoofer Back - PSA XS30 American Cherry
Wow -- when did you switch out the 51" plasma for the projector screen...or are you running both?

Boy I wish I could afford that...

Quote:
Cool! You have to post a couple of pics of your setup.
I will work on it, my friend.

Quote:
Well now you know where I live
I do?
post #157 of 194 Old 01-02-14, 12:41 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Great thread. Read through it all and enjoyed watching the transition/upgrades. I have a similar setup as you. Just recently finished it off with two SVS subs.

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #158 of 194 Old 01-03-14, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:

I do?
Yeah, I live here at this thread............LOL!

Quote:
phillihp23 wrote: View Post
Great thread. Read through it all and enjoyed watching the transition/upgrades. I have a similar setup as you. Just recently finished it off with two SVS subs.
Hi Phillihp, welcome to this thread and thanks a lot for the kind words!

Congrats on the new subs? What do you think of them? C'mon tell us, don't be shy........
post #159 of 194 Old 01-04-14, 04:47 PM
Banned!

Quote:
Yeah, I live here at this thread............LOL!
Ahhh...I see. Very clever...
post #160 of 194 Old 01-09-14, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Ahhh...I see. Very clever...
So, new toys?

I'm seriously looking at the new SVS SB-2000.......................