It's alive!!! - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 194 Old 06-26-12, 02:53 PM
Inactive
Ty

Re: It's alive!!!

Quote:
cr136124 wrote: View Post
Of course, that is just one option. But, I'm also considering DIY acoustic treatments with specific fiber that should blend even better with my room (cosmetic point of view). So, I'm still looking for other options/alternatives for my room.

Cheers!

From what little I know about sound treatments, and it is very little mind you, I believe foam is by far the least effective. I would post your options and ask for opinions in the Home Audio Acoustics subforum before I pulled the trigger, just to be safe. But thats just me, you may know far more about nextacoustics ratings than myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 194 Old 06-26-12, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
TypeA wrote: View Post
From what little I know about sound treatments, and it is very little mind you, I believe foam is by far the least effective. I would post your options and ask for opinions in the Home Audio Acoustics subforum before I pulled the trigger, just to be safe. But thats just me, you may know far more about nextacoustics ratings than myself.
Thanks for the input. I will try to do that. Based on other information available at the net, people also use high density fiberglass to have better results and the cool thing about it, is that I can make my own frames and cover them later with fiber to match my decor or I can also print some artwork to cover them.

See, not easy to decide on this with all the options / possibilities available.........;o)
post #33 of 194 Old 07-06-13, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Ok. I'm glad to report that things changed a bit in my room in the last past months. I was able to purchase a projector and screen for my room. The PJ is a Panasonic PT-AE8000U and the screen is a Elite Screens ER120WH1 Sable Fixed Frame Projection Screen (120 inch 16:9 AR).

That was one of the main issues from my previous setup.........I mean the 51" plasma TV was way too small. Now, the 120" screen is in a complete new league. Of course, the fact the Panny is an amazing projector helps a lot.

Other changes were related with the AVR. I replaced the Yamaha RX-A1010 with a Denon 4311CI (mainly due to Audyssey MultEq XT32) and my Samsung 3D player for an Oppo 103 player (this thing is a beast!).

Next step, I upgraded from a 7.2 to 11.2. To achieve this, I sold one of my XPA-2s and purchased an extra XPA-5. So, pretty much I have one XPA-2 to drive the front speakers. One XPA-5 for the surround, back surround and center speakers. And one XPA-5 for the wide and height speakers.

Of course, I need to add more speakers to my room for the 11.2 configuration. So, I purchased a pair of Polk Audio 265-RT as height speakers:

And, a second pair of RTi A9's as surround speakers:

Yes, I had to run additional speaker wires and wall plates to achieve this (not fun, but I did it):

And here a couple of pics of the speaker wires that I built:

On the acoustic treatment side, I added a thick carpet and window treatments. Planning on adding a couple of acoustic treatments to the walls in the near future.

So, what do you guys think?

Last edited by cr136124; 07-06-13 at 05:37 PM.
post #34 of 194 Old 07-06-13, 06:09 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
Looks great the projector really finishes it off nicely. I hope to get a projector someday,but I think we will have to move first.
post #35 of 194 Old 07-06-13, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Thanks a lot! Yeah, the projector/fixed screen combo just made it the trick for my room. It was my first projector, so I was a bit concerned about how it is going to perform at my room. Specially, due to the fact of the two windows to the size of the room. During the day, I can switch picture mode to Dynamic in order to have a brighter image. But, my wife gave me the window treatments as a gift, so when I need to block the light I just need to close them and all is good.

Here are a couple of extra pics of the PJ on its shelf:

post #36 of 194 Old 07-06-13, 10:08 PM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

Very nice set up cr136124. How is the screen with 3D and hot spots. For sound treatments you can use owens corning fiberglass 703. That's what I did in my DIY project.
post #37 of 194 Old 07-07-13, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

@ robsong

No issue whatsoever on reproducing 3D material on this screen and thanks God no hotspot issues to report. I'm really happy on the performance of this screen. Yeah, is one of the entry level models, but I cannot tell you how impressive the picture quality is. Here a couple of pics, but still they are not making any justice to this PJ/Screen combo:

Oh, and thanks for the tip on the OC 703 material, that is exactly the product that I purchased. I built already 4 acoustic panels. I need to measure my room using REW before applying the treatments, so I can clearly see the improvement made after the panels are installed.

Cheers!
post #38 of 194 Old 07-07-13, 01:52 AM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

I see that your AVR is the Denon 4311ci and using Emotiva amp's to power your speakers. Did you notice an improvement in SQ vs AVR only powering your speakers. I'm using the Denon 4311ci to power my KEF Q900 center KEF Q600 for surrounds my using NHT for now. If you don't mine what part of the country do you live in.
post #39 of 194 Old 07-07-13, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

No change on the SQ, what you gain is headroom. In other words, you can play your movies/music louder, no distortion and without the risk on clipping/damaging your speakers.

I guess you noticed on my pics, that I'm using large floorstanding speakers as fronts and also as surrounds. So, the extra power on the external amps is helping me to drive all the speakers and at the same time I have the benefit on not forcing my Denon's internal amps at all. In other words, all the work is done by the Emotiva's amps. If you don't listen at high volume levels, then your AVR will do a fine job.

I'm in Georgia, like one hour north of Atlanta.
post #40 of 194 Old 07-07-13, 02:27 AM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

But to play that loud you will damage your ears. I understand the headroom but does it make that much difference vs AVR amp's. I'm just trying to understand if your need all that power to drive your speakers. Also someday I would like to try out REW and see what is happening in my room.