It's alive!!! - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 194 Old 07-07-13, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: It's alive!!!

I'm sorry, could you repeat that? I didn't hear you...........LOL!

You are right, listening for long periods of time at high levels will permanently damage your hearing. So, you need to be very careful about it. In my case, I don't tend to listen music all the time at high levels. But, there are some records that begs you to crank the volume a bit.

Personally, I think there is a difference. In "my" case (likes) and due to my current speakers. They actually perform much better when they are properly powered. These speakers can handle up to 500 watts, so you can definitely notice how things are more clear and detailed at lower levels. No need to crank the volume all the way up to hear all instruments or sounds (that was key for me!).

Others might disagree, and that is the trick. They might say is not worth it, but they will base the comment on their current system / room / taste.

I personally had the chance to try it myself and oh boy, I'm glad I did it. I'm not familiar with your speakers, so I really cannot tell you how they are going to perform if they are externally amplified.

However, if you have a chance to try it yourself. Just order an amp from one of those companies with risk free return policies, I would strongly recommend you to go ahead and do it. So, you will have first hand experience at your room and with your system. Worst case scenario, you just simple return the amp and everybody will be happy.

My two cents!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 194 Old 07-07-13, 11:04 AM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

Did you buy the screen from Amazon. Can I ask if you plan on painting to your walls and ceiling to a darker color to help with contrast . Also have you done the flashlight test?.
post #43 of 194 Old 07-07-13, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Good morning my friend! Yes, I did purchase the Elite Screens from Amazon. I do have a Premier account with them, so shipping was free. On top of that, it gave me peace of mind that if something was wrong with the screen I could return it without any hassle. And the price was just right for me.

As this is not a conventional dedicated HT room, I didn't contemplate the idea of painting walls or ceiling to a darker color. This for us, is a multi-purpose room, actually we have an extra guest room and full bath at the basement. So, we (my wife.....) don't want to change the look of the room.

But, for folks with dedicated HT rooms are indeed reporting improvement on the PQ by going with darker paint color on walls and ceiling. If you can do that at your room, I'm positive is going to help you.

In my case, well is a bit of compromise, with what I have now..........honestly I can complain.........

What is that flashlight test that you are referring to?

post #44 of 194 Old 07-07-13, 12:03 PM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

When we got my house I told my wife the family room is mine and the rest of the house is hers. My ceiling is dark grey and walls dark red. This is the info I got from another site. Stand at your screen with the lights out, and a nice powerful flashlight. Point the flashlight at different parts of the room, where light from the screen will reflect. Look at the screen, and see how much of that reflected light bounces off walls / ceilings / floor and carpet right back on your screen ( and washes out the picture ). Now you will know what needs to be darkened to improve your picture.
post #45 of 194 Old 07-07-13, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Sweet! So, you have license to kill at your family room........man, nothing beats that. Do you have a gallery her or pics to share?

Also, thanks for sharing the information on the flashlight test.......I Google it, but the flashlight test that I found was related with real or fake boobs.............

I'll give it a try just for fun, but I can tell you when there is a bright scene on a movie the Panny just illuminate the whole room. Yep, this PJ is a light cannon...........
post #46 of 194 Old 07-07-13, 12:31 PM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

My family room opens to my kitchen. I'm going to redo the room later this year or next. Looking at getting dark carpet and darker walls. Did you like the fake boobs.
Attached Thumbnails
It's alive!!!-img_0100.jpg  

post #47 of 194 Old 07-07-13, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Nice! Thanks for sharing it! Couple of questions (I hope you don't mind):

Did you paint the whole family room's ceiling on the dark grey? Or, just the area in which you identified light was reflected back to the screen? You mentioned your family room opens to the kitchen, so I'm wondering if you made a paint cut/transition to your kitchen or not.

What do you think of your HSU sub? That sub was on my top 3 list, but at the end I pulled the trigger on a SVS sub. But, I always wondered about how good is the VTF-15H.

Cheers!
post #48 of 194 Old 07-07-13, 12:56 PM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

The whole ceiling is dark grey and there is a transition between family room and kitchen. HSU is a very good sub but still the SVS is better.
post #49 of 194 Old 07-07-13, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Thanks! I was scratching my head here wondering if your wife was happily sporting a dark grey color in the ceiling of her kitchen..........but, I assumed the answer was no and you just confirmed that......LOL.

Yeah, I cannot think on a way to paint walls and ceiling on my basement without making the whole room looking darker. So, I'll have to deal with those reflections coming out of the ceiling for a while.

Hey, thanks also for the input on the sub. I never had the chance to demo a HSU subwoofer, so I was only able to read at reviews and comments from owners. But, the deal on the SVS PB12-Plus was really hard to pass and I purchased in a heartbeat. It was a second hand unit, but only used for few months and with a couple of years of warranty left:

But, eventually I found a PB13-Ultra and I decided to upgrade. You know how it is.........this thing never ends........
post #50 of 194 Old 07-07-13, 03:12 PM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

Just for your info Ricci is doing a full review on the HSU VTF15. He should have it up in a couple of weeks. A few of us chip in at AVS to have the HSU shipped to him for testing. This should end all the debate about the performance of the HSU I hope.