SUBmarine Home Theater - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

12Likes

post #11 of 109 Old 10-10-12, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
re: SUBmarine Home Theater

Thanks man! I'm glad I took the time to make the room blacked-out. It's amazing how much light gets soaked up. Even with the house lights on full, the room has a very dim feel. I had read about the ultra flat paints on a web blog written by home theater designer... they definitely aren't for everyone, especially for high traffic areas. But, if your dedicated room is pretty much low traffic (kid controlled, for those of you with little ones) you could definitely pull it off.

I figured if I were to go this far, might as well try to seal the deal the best I could. ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 109 Old 10-19-12, 04:57 PM
Shackster

The picture quality looks great. Good job. What other projectors did you consider or were on your short list? And if you do not mind, why the JVC? Thank you.
post #13 of 109 Old 10-23-12, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

My projector list was rather short... because I installed a cinemascope screen I really wanted a projector with lens memory. My budget was about $3500... and the two that were on my list were the Panasonic AE7000U and the JVC RS45/X30.

I actually ended up buying both. I originally bought the Panny... and once I had it in hand and was able to use it, I found that some of the comments in the reviews I read about began to make more sense (primarily reviews from projectorreviews.com and projectorcentral.com). So, I bought the JVC and did an in home comparison. I wrote up a review of my findings here. I was careful to list my priorities in that thread... I know everyone has something different they are looking for. But, this will give you a good idea as to why I chose the JVC.

I've really been able to put it through its paces... absolutely love it. It has been a fantastic addition to my HT. Over the years I've made lots of tweaks and upgrades. The biggest impact has been from the acoustic treatments, IMO... the projector and screen are a very close second (and everything else is a very - very close 3rd... really hard to rank order... but I think if I had to go back and do this all over again I would still look at room treatments first).
post #14 of 109 Old 10-23-12, 04:51 PM
Shackster

Thank you, 27dnast. This is very helpful. I enjoyed reading your very detailed review and comparison. I also liked your explanation of your priorities and why the JVC worked best for your situation. Thanks again.
post #15 of 109 Old 10-26-12, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Hey, no worries Sunless. Glad it was an interesting read for you... good luck!
post #16 of 109 Old 11-06-12, 10:00 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Very nice set up
post #17 of 109 Old 11-16-12, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quick photo update, with the A5's added in as mains...

post #18 of 109 Old 11-16-12, 11:02 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
27dnast wrote: View Post
Quick photo update, with the A5's added in as mains...

Looking good. Every man's goal for his mancave, which I think you soo close to achieving.
post #19 of 109 Old 11-16-12, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

It sounds great to my hurting ears

At this point, my next, and hopefully last, purchase (for a good while) will be one more HSU VTF2-MK4 sub. Right now I have one in the front left part of the room... and then an Energy s.10 on the right wall. The volume on the Energy is turned partially down... it's there because I found that including it in my system (volume about half of the HSU and phase slightly altered) helps to eliminate a null at the listening position. I used REW to get it dialed in. It's not the strongest sub, tho, and can't keep up with the HSU. But, with the volume limited, it still seems to have an effect on the null and it's not forced to bottom out while the HSU is still pumping away.

Overall, the bass sounds really solid right now and I could be content with it as is... but it is slightly unbalanced to the left side of the room. I know bass is supposedly non-directional... but I can hear a tilt to the side of the room with the HSU.

I'm a little concerned that adding a second HSU in the room might be too much for a small space, but I'm guessing that fear is just that: a fear. ;-)

Maybe next summer I can start looking into it...
post #20 of 109 Old 11-16-12, 01:02 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Quote:
27dnast wrote:
It sounds great to my hurting ears

At this point, my next, and hopefully last, purchase (for a good while) will be one more HSU VTF2-MK4 sub. Right now I have one in the front left part of the room... and then an Energy s.10 on the right wall. The volume on the Energy is turned partially down... it's there because I found that including it in my system (volume about half of the HSU and phase slightly altered) helps to eliminate a null at the listening position. I used REW to get it dialed in. It's not the strongest sub, tho, and can't keep up with the HSU. But, with the volume limited, it still seems to have an effect on the null and it's not forced to bottom out while the HSU is still pumping away.

Overall, the bass sounds really solid right now and I could be content with it as is... but it is slightly unbalanced to the left side of the room. I know bass is supposedly non-directional... but I can hear a tilt to the side of the room with the HSU.

I'm a little concerned that adding a second HSU in the room might be too much for a small space, but I'm guessing that fear is just that: a fear. ;-)

Maybe next summer I can start looking into it...
Have you considered building your own sub?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.