SUBmarine Home Theater - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

12Likes

post #1 of 109 Old 09-06-12, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
SUBmarine Home Theater

This thread has gone through quite a few revisions over the last 6 months or so. The mains and subs are new as of the end of 2012. And we've done a lot in recent months... new jet-black carpeting... new rears... added some tables for drinks and food... and given the theater a name. I've tacked the most recent new stuff to the end of this original post in the form of edits... some of the other additions were simply edited in to the original post. Also, you can check-out photos of the rest of the man cave in this part of the thread.

Original Post 9/26/12

It's taken me a while to get around to posting pictures of my home theater reboot. Here's a link to my old HT. Gone is the plasma... enter a little DILA action!

I was able to keep quite a few aspects of my old HT. I kept the acoustic treatments and was able to add more front wall absorption because of the new space available behind the movie screen (which was previously used to hang the old plasma TV)...My built-in equipment rack (to the right of the front viewing area) also remains however I increased the depth of it by 5 inches to allow me to make sure the gear could be pushed back a bit (I was concerned that the LED lights, etc, on the gear would be a problem, but the paint and the added depth soaks up all the light and it ended up being fine). I also kept our family favorite LoveSac Sactional Couch (with the bass shakers!) and was able to add a few more pieces to it to widen and give every seating position leg support (think ottomans) for supreme lounging! Unfortunately, my LoveSac movie bags did not make the cut --- their proximity to the screen was too close. So, out to the kids' playroom they went!

During this process I added some new equipment/gear:

- dual Power Sound Audio XS30 subs
- Polk RTiA5's for my mains (replacing RTiA3's)
- Oppo 93 BD Player
- JVC DILA RS45 Projector
- Carada 2:35:1 Screen
- More front absorption
- New wall-to-wall black carpeting
- New sofa tables for food and drink
- New rear channels (replaced the old RTi4's with RTiA3's)
- Black track lighting (which only is over the seating area) with smaller inconspicuous heads. The old lighting was white.

I installed heavy black suede velvet tightly tacked over my back window and finished with wood trim (Which really isn't visible because of the rear slat diffuser), and a custom black out curtain (made of the same window covering material) to black-out the entry into the room. Let's put it this way: The only light entering this room is at our choosing. And any light that does enter room dies!

The entire front 3/8s of the room was painted using a Benjamin Moore Ultra Flat black ceiling paint (which was tough to find... Benjamin Moore only had 3 gallons on hand in their stores in the DC northern suburbs). This paint soaks up light like a sponge, thus living up to its ULTRA flat billing. The only downside to the product is that you can't touch it... at all... or it will get white smudges that aren't cleanable. This isn't an issue for me because of the location of the painted surfaces and the fact that any wall portions painted with it that can be touched are covered with first reflection absorption (so there is some protection there). The transition in colors between the front half and the rear half was accomplished by adding in a screen door wood bead. It ended up working out great and tightly hugs the first reflection absorption on the walls and ceiling. Because the absorbers are black... they almost appear to be an extension of the black surfaces in the front of the room... bleeding into the back of the room (simply because the room itself has such low light, thus the illusion is created!). The rear part of the room is a very dark muddy brown (with some earthy green). In low light it looks black... with no light it looks super black! But, the camera shots made it appear a lighter brown! Ha! Who knew?

I also added in an 8X10 black wool rug in the front of the room (the carpeting in the room was a tannish-gray color during the reboot. It's now wall to wall black, but I've left the shag in there just because it gives the room some interest for the eyes).

I built a frame to hold the screen away from the wall so that it didn't sit back in the bump out (you'll see this in the pictures). I addition, I rebuilt the wall bracket holding the center channel.

At the end of the day, the room can be thrown into a total blackout mode and the picture quality is phenomenal. The whole renovation worked out great - we've had a ton of great movie experiences thus far. I wish I had the ability to capture it better on film... it really has a much warmer cozier feel than the images convey. But, it be what it be

Here's a shot during the early demo stages:

Building the screen bracket:

Adding on the support that holds the center channel mount. Also, you can see the wood transition on the right wall...

Adding in the ultra flat paint:

This gives a hint at the transition between room colors:

Here's a shot of the back of the room during renovation and when finished:

Here's a shot of the front, pre-screen and post screen installation:

A shot of the A5's added in...

And here is a photo of the XS30's added in...

A not-so-great photo of my equipment "cubby". I built this in myself, and made the rear of the cubby accessible via an easily removable panel (that also houses cooling fans). Makes cord/connection adjustments a breeze!

The star of the show:

Here are some in-movie shots. The image quality and black levels of the JVC unit live up to the hype - these pics demonstrate how the inky blacks on the screen bleed right out into the blackness of the surrounding front area of the room:

So, there she blows!

edit: 3/2/2013

Just a couple of quick updates. We've now installed all black carpeting throughout the room. It was a great move! Here's a pic of the underside of the seating (as I re-wire the bass shakers)... you can get a good idea of the jet black carpeting.

Front screen shots with black carpet. First is with some lighting and flash... second is a covered flash.

edit: 3/20/13

We've also added a few sofa tables behind the seating for food and drink....

and I switched out my old RTi4's (the rear channels) for my RTiA3's...

And, finally, we have given the theater a name: The SUBmarine Theater. Here is the sign I created (note, I take no credit for the actual artwork... but I do take credit for the sign/mount woodwork along with the decoupage to fuse the image to the wood). The sign hangs outside of the theater in our games room:

edit 7/26/16

Lots of discussion on HTS about integrating dual subs...where they should be placed. Here's a thread I created when I tested integrating subs into my HT: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ut-please.html

Last edited by Todd Anderson; 06-11-13 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 Old 09-06-12, 05:52 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
re: SUBmarine Home Theater

It looks great mate - nice job on the re-boot!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 109 Old 09-06-12, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
Thanks! ;-)

post #4 of 109 Old 09-07-12, 08:56 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Nice Job looks great!
post #5 of 109 Old 09-09-12, 09:15 PM
Senior Shackster
Andrew

Looks fantastic!
post #6 of 109 Old 10-09-12, 10:11 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

dnast, great job on the update. I still love that slat diffuser at the back, it looks phenomenal. Really adds some richness to the room I think (to say nothing of the acoustic benefits) and makes it seem more... technical? ...professional? ...I don't know what the word is, but "awesome" should cover it.

- OJ -

post #7 of 109 Old 10-09-12, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Thanks, Owen, for the compliment! That thing is a beast, for sure... definitely works. Wish I could go back in time and make it a tad bigger! Maybe build an entire back wall?
post #8 of 109 Old 10-09-12, 06:26 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

What an improvement!! Well done.. The screen shots look great!

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #9 of 109 Old 10-10-12, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Thanks Prof... it was a big leap in many regards. Really enjoying it, for sure.
post #10 of 109 Old 10-10-12, 12:22 PM
Senior Shackster

Brandon

My System

Wow! That's quite the revamp! I think muting the brightness in the room with the darker paint made a huge difference! I especially like the DIY screen mount; looks like a kit build. Nice job!