Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

My home theater project

21K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Prof. 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I just bought a house and started setting up my home theater in the basement.
I decided that going the paint on screen was my best option and that way I could get the 96" diagonal size I wanted without breaking the bank. Buying the exspencive screen paint was a no go so I did some research including looking at the info on this site and found it to be great. I went with the Bahr "silver screen" paint option. and am thrilled with the results.
This is how it looked at the beginning of the project just after moving in. I built a wall at the back for the projection screen that I would paint on.

Half way done.

Almost finished.

The ceiling is made up of 40 4'x4' "tectum" panels that are used to prevent sound transfer and the right wall is drywall on the lower half and carpet underlay on the top half with insulation behind the entire wall. The basement theater is 15' wide and 35' long and has a 9' ceiling.
I set up my Audio control 3rd octave eq's and ran a pink noise test signal using a 3rd octave spectrum annaliser with mic. and found the room to be very flat in response with just some very minor dips an peaks in the eq's after setting them up properly to flatten the rooms sound.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice room :T:T

What are you planning to do with the doorway in the left side of the screen??? ...:scratchhead::scratchhead:

I had the same in my room, but what I did is to paint it black so it match with the front wall and the light won't distract .... :yes::yes::yes:

Good luck .... hopefully you will start enjoying your HT soon ....:wave::wave::wave:

#3 ·
Nice room :T:T

What are you planning to do with the doorway in the left side of the screen???
Thanks,
It will be a door that when closed will be flush with the wall and wont be noticeable.

#5 ·
I'm using low pile carpet with two layers of underlay on the floor so its good and soft. On the wall I'm using black foam underlay available at The Home Depot, its a bit pricy at $35 for a 10' roll but looks really good as you can see in the photo.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Yes, I have already bought it but the link you sent looks like nice stuff. May have to get some later down the road. Thanks.

#10 · (Edited)
Well after a little break from renovating I have gotten my theater room to this point.

I still need to install some new track lighting and some recesed lighting as well as build a pony wall behind the two sofas but it sounds and looks farly good in my opinion.

The area behind the listening position is where we have the computers and play area for the kids.
There is a area the same size on the other side of the left wall that has been split up into a storage room, bedroom, full bathroom and laundry room.

Now I can relax for the Christmas season :jump:

#12 ·
Well, its September '08 and this is where we are with the home theater room. I will be building a riser sometime in the next few weeks and a half wall with counter on the back of the riser so people can sit behind it on stools and eat or drink and still enjoy the movie.

#13 ·
Well, its a long time since I updated this post, Here is a few more of the recent riser that I built and the 32" Viewsonic LCD TV that we placed in the corner next to the screen.

#15 · (Edited)
Nothing that I have noticed. The ceiling is made of a string and some sort of cement mixture that is a flat non reflective texture and has acoustic absorbing properties. The black is called quash and is a great lower mid bass frequeny trap.

#17 ·
I used REW a few weeks ago and its made the room really flat I was actually surprised how good it was.

#19 ·
Thanks Mech. I hoping to update my Projector to a Sanyo Z4 from a Z2 within the next week or so.

#20 ·
That is a great setup Tony! Thanks for the update. I'm also digging the "small" monitor off to the side, as well! I did something similar back when I had my projector set up. I like not having to use the projector ALL the time.

#21 ·
Thanks Jon, Our kids (5 Girls) watch TV and play N64 games on the 32" LCD so its a bit of a duel purpose room.

#24 ·
Well, after some recovery time after my wife's passing I finished the theatre room (or at least built the back wall so it looks finished) these projects never really are finished are they :)

The screen is soon to be replaced (this week) with a new fixed 110" 2,35:1 screen.

The rear wall really makes the room look finished and I added new wall sconces for lighting and the rear window makes it look like there is a rear projection room like in the theater. (yes maybe a bit tacky but I like it LOL)

#25 ·
these projects never really are finished are they :)
You got that right! :D

The screen is soon to be replaced (this week) with a new fixed 110" 2,35:1 screen.
Very nice!! That will make a BIG difference! :T

The rear wall really makes the room look finished and I added new wall sconces for lighting and the rear window makes it look like there is a rear projection room like in the theater. (yes maybe a bit tacky but I like it LOL)
Neat idea! :T

#27 ·
Thanks guys, insulation is now done in the wall cavities and drywall is going up as I type.
On a side note one bag of "safe n sound" does not go very far, good thing I bought two LOL

#30 ·
Here is another photo of todays work
There is still a 10ft section to the left that still has to come down and drywalled however it has a strange bulkhead that covers a vent stack for the furnace and I need to re rout that before I can do it and given its winter I will wait till it warms up outside as it will take a few hrs to do that vent correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.