Peterman's HT - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #31 of 106 Old 02-10-14, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Re: Peterman's HT

Hey folks, getting back into an HTS groove after a somewhat crazy Nov-Jan. I did manage to make some small progress on some changes to my home theater over the last few months. No functional changes, but some much needed cosmetic improvements.

First, the never ending wiring project. I changed my mind about how I wanted to route and conceal wiring when I decided to move my gear from below the TV into the closet. Unfortunately this meant disconnecting everything and having a mostly non-functional HT for a few months.

The effort worth it though, as my AV rack wiring no longer resembles a rat's nest, and there is no longer a big bundle of wires laying on the floor around the perimeter of the room. The room is now wired for up to 11.4 channel configuration. I opted against constructing my own hollow baseboard and chose instead to use some off-the-shelf wire ducts from Wiremold. The Cablemate series had just enough capacity to handle the big bundles going into either side of the AV closet, and were relatively easy to mount. They don't give quite the polished look I would have liked, but saved me the time and hassle of building something from scratch. One criteria of my overall build is to do things in a way that could be pretty easily reversed, in case it becomes essential for us to use this room for another purpose at some point. The Wiremold ducts are pretty easily removable, and would only leave behind some screw holes and a few spots for wires to enter the walls.

You can see a few "before" pictures in some of the posts above. Here are some shots of the finished product. As you can see, the joints look a little tacky but I doubt they'll be as noticeable to anyone else as they are to me. I could also paint them to match the wall color. Either way, it looks 100 times better than loose wires cluttering the floor. That along with finally painting the patches on the back wall has made a big difference for me.

I also upgraded my remote to the URC R40. It is pretty simple to program (no PC software required) and easy to use. I have a Lutron IR controlled light dimmer switch as well which the URC is programmed to control. I use a Monoprice IR repeater with the sensor mounted just above my TV. It works great and allows me to conceal all of my gear in the closet.

The photos don't show much change, but the wiring (re-wiring, I should say) took the bulk of the time. I'm glad to be done with it for now. Next on the list are bass traps (I plan to purchase a set of GIK tri-traps in the next month or so), and risers for the rear seating row. I have some other minor cosmetic upgrades in the works and will post photos of those when finished. Beyond that, I plan to upgrade my acoustic treatments on the side wall - from 2" to 4" thick, and with a 2" air gap between the wall and panels. Don't know if it will happen this year but I'm itching for a sub upgrade as well. Not sure yet what I'll get but I'll most likely go dual or quad to help with even response throughout the room (you can see in the photos that the rear corners of the room are wired for subs). A work in progress, as always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 106 Old 02-10-14, 10:36 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

That really makes a big difference Peter - cleans the room up beautifully. Well done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #33 of 106 Old 02-11-14, 04:28 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Doesn't it feel good when you have a nice clear floor space without messy wires everywhere!?

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #34 of 106 Old 02-11-14, 05:18 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
Looking good that remote looks sweet! I need to clean and reset my Harmony remote my daughter must have thought it was thirsty and gave it some coke.
post #35 of 106 Old 02-11-14, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Quote:
B- one wrote: View Post
Looking good that remote looks sweet! I need to clean and reset my Harmony remote my daughter must have thought it was thirsty and gave it some coke.
Water is a much better option for keeping your remote properly hydrated

Thanks guys, I definitely do NOT miss the tangled wires laying around.
post #36 of 106 Old 02-12-14, 06:23 PM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

I bought some black Wiremold about a year ago and it is still sitting in the garage, keeping absolutely nothing straightened out.

Hug your pet today!
post #37 of 106 Old 02-12-14, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Quote:
hjones4841 wrote: View Post
I bought some black Wiremold about a year ago and it is still sitting in the garage, keeping absolutely nothing straightened out.
My garage is full of stuff I'll probably never use. I think that's what they're for.
post #38 of 106 Old 02-13-14, 01:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Luther

My System

Looking good Peter. Wire management is something my HT is missing. Don't ever look behind the rack...be afraid, be very afraid.

~There are many roads to nirvana, while the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride~
post #39 of 106 Old 06-24-14, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

I decided to do another cosmetic update to the room. I started a few months ago, and it just took me a while to finish. The front wall is now covered with a heavy black curtain to hide the doors and give a more uniform look to the front stage. I also added some accent lighting under the valence of the curtain for fun, since I had an RGB LED strip laying around. I'm very pleased with the result, and glad I took the time to do it. Though I think it makes my TV look even smaller. In hindsight, it would have made more sense to flip the room so the doors were in the back and use a projector, but wiring would have been a little more difficult at the time. Live and learn. Here are a few pictures of the new look. I will try to add some with better lighting.

Again, a little dark but you can just make out the speakers up front. No more doors

Well, sort of...

Accent lighting

Seating - no changes here really. MLP is in the center of the front row. Next project is to elevate the 2nd row.

Right side: front wide and surround speaker

Left side: front wide and surround speakers

A little more on my speaker arrangement... I currently have the room wired for 11.1 (up to 4 subs if I ever get there). The speakers mounted on the side walls closest to the front wall are the front wides. Although they are not currently pointed toward the MLP like you would expect, this was the easiest way to mount them, and the MLP is actually not too far off axis. The effect is still very good. I have brackets to mount them at an angle... just need to put them up. My front height speakers are mounted a little over 7 feet above the floor, about two feet outside of the main left and right speakers (on the shelves in the corners above the curtain/valence). The layout looks a lot like Audyssey DSX with a slight deviation from the Dolby PLIIz and DTS NEO:X recommendations for height channel placement. In my opinion they still function perfectly fine as PLIIz/Neo:X heights. Having said that... Dolby Atmos may change things up a bit, as it uses ceiling mounted height speakers as opposed to front wall mounted. I am tentatively planning to keep the front heights and front wides in their current positions, and eventually add a pair of ceiling speakers for Atmos, like this. It will allow me to test pretty much any speaker configuration for my receiver reviews, and give me lots of flexibility in general, even though the first generation of Atmos home cinema can only process 11 channels at once. "only"...

post #40 of 106 Old 06-24-14, 05:50 AM
A/V
Shackster

That looks fantastic mate! I am particularly enthralled by home theaters that look super comfy!