Peterman's HT - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #51 of 106 Old 12-17-14, 04:09 PM
Shackster

Re: Peterman's HT

Nice room!! I love the look of big burly front speakers. Always looks nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 106 Old 04-07-15, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Lots of changes since my last update. Here's what's new or changed.

Speaker layout
  • Added in-ceiling speakers for Atmos (x6) (top front, top middle, and top rear)
  • Removed PLIIz height channels in favor of Atmos/DSU ceiling channels
  • Angled wide speakers (Neo:X, Audyssey DSX, etc.) toward listening position
  • Moved wides down closer to mains (tweeter is 6" above main tweeters)
  • Moved surrounds down slightly (tweeter is 6" above wides)
  • Moved rears up for to accommodate riser later (tweeter is 6" above surrounds)
  • Looks nice too, rising toward the back of the room like a cinema

Acoustic treatments
  • GIK 244 panels (x8)
  • GIK Tri-Traps (x4)
  • DIY cloud panels 2" thick (x3) - upgrading to 4" thick in progress

Surround speakers
  • Chase HT M1 monitors (x6) (trial period and review -> possible purchase)
  • Currently mounted in surround, back, and wide positions

Subs
  • PSA XS30se (x2) - one front, one rear (outstanding!!!)

Still planned
  • Rear seating riser (12"-14" height based on TV and front row clearance)
  • Cosmetic changes that will require minor construction/painting (won't effect speaker layout)
  • Recliners - at least front row (probably next year though)
  • Dolby Atmos receiver (probably late 2015/early 2016 - hoping for 9.1.4 support)

Some quick phone photos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #53 of 106 Old 04-07-15, 01:09 PM

Ron

My System

Is it 100% done yet? LOL

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.

post #54 of 106 Old 04-07-15, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Is it 100% done yet? LOL
100% functional but I fear not even close to being 100% done...

post #55 of 106 Old 11-03-15, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Quote:
Peter Loeser wrote: View Post
100% functional but I fear not even close to being 100% done...
Well, now it's neither...

I've decided to tear up the room and do things the way I should have from the beginning. I'm going from a TV to a projector, building a proper riser for the rear seating, building a baffle wall (to hopefully combat some persistent bass nulls from the mains), flipping the whole room 180º (so the doors are in the rear), adding carpet, installing cove lighting, and repainting.

No real changes to the audio configuration, just rearranging a bit for the new room layout. I'll re-run wiring through the cove/shelf that will run around the perimeter and remove the plastic wire duct currently running around the baseboards. The goal is a clean, comfortable, plush, proper looking cinema with top notch sound and a giant picture. Gonna cost me, but I don't have the feeling this will be an incremental change. Hopefully it will be the last update/remodel. Components may come in and out and I'd eventually like to upgrade to some nice recliners, but the layout and decor will be set.

The planned video setup is a Panasonic AE8000 and a 125" diagnoal 2.35:1 curved, acoustically transparent screen. This will accommodate about a 103" diagonal 16:9 picture. Screen size was limited by the maximum projector throw allowable in my room, but based on my mock-up I think it's going to be plenty big.

Heading home at lunch today to meet a friend who is a builder. He's going to quote me the framing, sheetrock, stage, baffle wall, etc. construction. Hoping to have a functional system by the end of 2015.

Pics to follow when the work gets started.

post #56 of 106 Old 11-03-15, 03:04 PM

Ron

My System

Sounds like you will have a great HT very soon (not that you don't already have a great one, but this should be even better). Why are you going with a curved screen...are you getting an anamorphic lens too?

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

post #57 of 106 Old 11-03-15, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Don't have my heart completely set on a curved screen but that's the plan since the front row will be pretty close ~ 7-8ft. I'm not planning to use an anamorphic lens, just a second zoom setting on the projector for 2.35:1 content. Image height will remain constant at ~50" for both formats, and I'll have ~10" wide black bars on the sides during 16:9 playback. I plan to do some testing with the projector before I finalize the screen purchase.

post #58 of 106 Old 11-03-15, 06:09 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
Peter Loeser wrote: View Post
Don't have my heart completely set on a curved screen but that's the plan since the front row will be pretty close ~ 7-8ft. I'm not planning to use an anamorphic lens, just a second zoom setting on the projector for 2.35:1 content. Image height will remain constant at ~50" for both formats, and I'll have ~10" wide black bars on the sides during 16:9 playback. I plan to do some testing with the projector before I finalize the screen purchase.
I have read somewhere that if you use a curved screen your convergence will be off, and that it is a good match with an Anamorphic lens. I will find out if using an Anamorphic lens with the 8000 will work as good or better with my flat screen this week.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #59 of 106 Old 11-03-15, 06:10 PM

Ron

My System

I forgot to ask you how you are hooking up 6 Atmos speakers to the Yamaha... I thought it could only handle 4 max.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #60 of 106 Old 11-04-15, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

None of the mainstream AVRs can handle more than 4 overhead speakers yet, that I know of. I installed six so I could run either a 9.1.2 or 7.1.4 configs. With the new room arrangement I may stick with 7.1.4. for simplicity. I assume 9.1.4 or 9.1.6 AVRs are on the horizon, but we're entering the realm of diminishing returns.