Peterman's HT - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #61 of 106 Old 11-04-15, 10:59 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Re: Peterman's HT

Well, this is exciting. I am hoping to be able to do something similar within a year from now myself (looking to move to a new house soon). Being prepared for 9.1.6 (at least wiring for it) is smart IMO. Personally I would wire for 11.1.8 (assuming new construction of course, which is not what you're doing). Who knows if I would ever go there (probably not), but wire is cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 106 Old 11-04-15, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Well, this is exciting. I am hoping to be able to do something similar within a year from now myself (looking to move to a new house soon). Being prepared for 9.1.6 (at least wiring for it) is smart IMO. Personally I would wire for 11.1.8 (assuming new construction of course, which is not what you're doing). Who knows if I would ever go there (probably not), but wire is cheap.
Why not just wire for 32.1.10?

In all seriousness though, I agree when it comes to new construction. It doesn't hurt to go overboard when it's convenient to make a bunch of extra runs. I'm wiring an existing room for a friend (7.1) and the only good option is via the attic. Half way through I discover there may be some existing speaker wiring and a sub cable. Only found one end of them so far though.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #63 of 106 Old 11-04-15, 12:11 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Heh, wire's not that cheap! Technically it would be 24.1.10 (that's where home Atmos maxes out). I cannot possibly see a significant advantage to going beyond, say, 13.1.8 in a home unless you're building a truly massive home theater with more than three rows of seats. Not to mention, affordable hardware to go beyond 9.1.6 may never be available. But I could see going to 11.1.6 or maybe 11.1.8 for a two-row theater.

post #64 of 106 Old 11-04-15, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Heh, wire's not that cheap! Technically it would be 24.1.10 (that's where home Atmos maxes out). I cannot possibly see a significant advantage to going beyond, say, 13.1.8 in a home unless you're building a truly massive home theater with more than three rows of seats. Not to mention, affordable hardware to go beyond 9.1.6 may never be available. But I could see going to 11.1.6 or maybe 11.1.8 for a two-row theater.
You're right, I did the math wrong (I'm only an engineer). I agree though, unless your HT is much longer than about 20ft or you have more than 2 rows of seating, the currently available AVRs will be enough for most people. I haven't heard an Atmos soundtrack yet that made me think "I need more than 4 overhead speakers". But again, I've got two rows, relatively close together in a 16ft deep room.

post #65 of 106 Old 11-04-15, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

A few pics I meant to post yesterday. We'll call these the "before" photos. In the first one you can see the mockup of the screen size and location. The baffle wall will probably go straight up to the ceiling. I'll have cove running around the perimeter of the room between the top of the sconces and the bottom of the angled section of the ceiling. Basically just waiting for for the construction now. I'd do it myself but I know it would take me months. I'd rather have it done quickly and professionally.

post #66 of 106 Old 11-20-15, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Mostly framed and almost ready to paint. The baffle wall will be covered with some acoustic material and black curtains will eventually surround the screen. Rope lighting will go above the tray along the perimeter of the room. Drapes will also be used to soften the side walls and back wall, and partially camouflage the acoustic panels. The ceiling and tray/cove will all be painted the (new) wall color. The floor and platform will all be carpeted next week. Surrounds, rear, and wide speakers will all be in roughly the same locations as before. The projector will most likely sit in the little space between the upper supports of the rear overhang. If that doesn't work there's just enough space to mount it below. The room will definitely be much more cozy, but that's the look and feel I'm going for. The vast majority of the time it's just me in there, so the arrangement is fitted to the main listening position. Back row will probably be slightly better for movie viewing and front row is ideal for 2-channel soundstage/imaging.

post #67 of 106 Old 11-21-15, 10:58 AM

Ron

My System

Looks great!

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #68 of 106 Old 11-23-15, 08:33 AM
Senior Shackster

Brandon

My System

That room is looking awesome! What are the vertical shelves/framing for in the back on the sides of the riser?
post #69 of 106 Old 11-23-15, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Quote:
BD55 wrote: View Post
That room is looking awesome! What are the vertical shelves/framing for in the back on the sides of the riser?
There is a little half wall on either side of the rear seat for drinks, remotes, gadgets, etc. and to provide a sort of short little corridor for the entrance, like a large scale cinema would have. The one next to the entrance is enclosed and the one next to the closet has shelving for DVDs/Blu-Rays/CDs on the outer side. The inner side of that one is enclosed now, so you can't see the shelves from that angle. Framing and mud is all finished now, and carpet is being installed today. I've got a little wiring to do but I'll post some updated photos tonight or tomorrow. It's coming together nicely. Hoping to find a black friday deal on a projector this week.

post #70 of 106 Old 11-23-15, 08:53 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Looks awesome! Can't wait to see final pics!