Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Fourth and Final

Tags
final fourth
21K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  Audioguy 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Looks great! Could you give us some more info about the room... Maybe dimensions, equipment, construction info?

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the very nice comments.

More details:

Room size is 22 x 19.3 x 8; The room was originally 27 feet long but took off 5 feet to get better room dimensions and to find a place to put my equipment and the center channel behind the AT screen. The room is a converted loft. Added a another layer of drywall with Green Glue, floor underlayment.

VIDEO EQUIPMENT: Sony 600ES 4K PJ w/ Panamorph Anamorphic Lens and powered sled; Screen Masking System by Carada; Seymour Acoustically Transparent 2:35 120 x 51 inch screen (1.0 Gain); Lumagen XD Video Processor (currently not in use);

SPEAKERS: LCR: Seaton Catalysts Powered Speakers on sand-filled Seaton Stands; SUBS: Seaton SubMersive HP (4); Surrounds: Seaton Sparks (4) Powered Speakers

ELECTRONICS: Integra 80.2 SSP (with Audyssey Pro); APS 1050 Power Conditioner; APS 2000 Power Conditioner; Emotiva XDA-2 -- USB D to A Converter;

SOURCES: Music Vault Diamond Music Server (J River and J Remote for controlling my music server); Dirac Live room correction software running on MusicVault; Oppo BD103D Bluray Player which includes DARBEE DARBLET High-Defintion Image Enhancer; DirecTV DVR

ROOM STUFF: Theater chairs by Berkline; Room design and all acoustic treatment by GIK

MISCELLANEOUS: BlueJeans and Monopric Interconnect Cables (XLR and Single Ended)

#15 ·
Thank you so much for your very kind words. I really gave a lot of thought to covering up all of the acoustic treatment so that I could make the room look more like a theater and less like a recording studio.

But I decided that I really liked the look of the treatments so left as is (and saved a lot of money in the process).

Function is far more important than form and this theater sounds the best of any I have owned.

Thanks again.

Chuck

#18 ·
I have made a number of important changes. The Seaton speakers have all been replaced with Triads --- Platinum LCR's for the front and In Room Silvers for the surrounds. Subs are now a combination of DIY (SI HST18's) and Seaton SubMersive and Surround Processor is now Datasat RS20i.

The addiction continues !!!

#20 ·
Not ready yet. I have been listening to the new speakers for a long time and they are VERY nice (much better midrange/tweeter presentation) but the RS20i has yet to be fully integrated. I had one in my room about a year ago and the improvement over the Marantz (actually 90% of the improvement was Dirac over Audyssey)was incredible. Better everything: bass, midrange, envelopment. I have learned a lot about the Datasat since that time and by the time I get all of that functionality operational, it should be quite stunning.

Thank you for your kind words and my wife and I both agree with you: the environment is quite soothing.

#22 ·
Dirac is worth your investigation. If you don't have an Atmos system, then Emotiva has a piece that supports 7.1 with Dirac for about $2000. Another option is to add the miniDSP device that provides 8 channels of Dirac and is added to your existing SSP and it is about $1000.

If you are looking for a piece that supports Dirac and a lot of channels, the price for a single piece goes way up but a number of folks just buy two of the miniDSP boxes and that gets them to 16 channels for about $2000.

Even before the Datasat, I have been running Dirac for 2 channels from my music server. It is FAR superior to Audyssey - which has not been updated in about 6 years.

Check it out. You won't be dissappointed and no, I don't work for Dirac !!!!

#24 ·
Some people are just using the Dirac (like I do) on the lower 8 channels, and either not touching the Atmos channels or EQing them separately.:T

#27 ·
Hehe, that means crocs and sharks missed you last time. November, yes best time to visit as humidity is not in full swing (depends where you are going) and no shocking temeperature hit for visitors from Norther hemisphere.
Welcome and have a nice stay.

Cheers
Zoran

#29 ·
I have now replaced the last two DIY subs with 4 Seaton F18's (Master and 3 Slaves) and have hidden them in the front two corners which also serve as corner bass traps. I also have ordered the JVC RS500 to replace my Sony 600ES to gain access to (Faux) 4K HDR at much less than the Sony equivalent. After having seen a side by side comparison of the JVC RS600 and the Sony 675 ES at CEDIA, it was a no brainer. If they were the same price, I would have gone the Sony route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.