Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

My Butt is Sick & Tired!!

Tags
butt sick tired
6K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  Lumen 
#1 ·
That's it. No more sitting on the floor when a guest or wife watches movies with me. Time to replace the oversize, overstuffed chair in my HT with dual seating! I've been shopping around and found that there are two classes of chairs (to the best of my knowledge): your standard HT seats one one hand, and your basic recliner with cupholder and storage bin on the other.

What I'd like to know is, "What's the difference?" The HT seats I've come across have large rectangular arms and cost a small fortune (upwards of $1k). Pseudo-HT, side-by-side recliners can be had in the $500 to $700 range. Are the bona-fide HT seats that much more comfortable, or are they just made better to withstand a lot of wear and tear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I am shrugging right now, I am not sure if you can see me do that though.

I think it is kind of important in home theater seating to make sure the back of the chain is a tad lower than your ears so you can clearly hear the back and side surrounds. Just sayin..

#4 ·
I think it is kind of important in home theater seating to make sure the back of the chain is a tad lower than your ears so you can clearly hear the back and side surrounds.
Sound advice (heh-heh)! I've heard of placing a blanket between your head and seat to help kill reflections.
  • Bad News: My wife needs full neck support.
  • Good News: My AVR has Dirac Live to help correct reflections.

I found them on CL, then went to a local store, and they matched the price.
Now that's a great store with great service!

I've done a lot more research since the original post, and think I should have done more research before asking the question. There's no real distinction between HT recliners and HT seats except in terms of quality, features, and price. After visiting some local retailers to test-drive their inventory, I'm sorry to say I'm not impressed. Call it sticker-shock if you will, as it's been over 10 years since I've bought any furniture. But my goodness, some of these $1k seats have imprecise reclining mechanisms and most I've tried had very poor lumbar support.
Maybe it's my hump. :rant: Thanks for listening.

I found out the cheaper seats are upholstered in cloth, have no creature-features, and are generally unattractive. No big surprise there. But when I found expensive seats with roughly the same profile, I had to ask myself again: "Why the difference?" Digging a little deeper told the full story. More money will sometimes get you detachable backrests making for easier installation. More money will sometimes get you wall-hugging designs. More money will sometimes get you better quality backed by generously long warranties on the order of 5 years to life. That sounds like a prison sentence and, in a sense, it is. Trying to save a little is okay as long as comfort isn't sacrificed, I always say! And I think most people who shell out that kind of dough expect their seats to last a long, long time. I certainly do.

So here are a couple of choices I labored over. Please feel free to rip into them. I know that you know that seating can be highly subjective, but anything you may have to add would be highly appreciated.

This cheaper one comes highly rated by a wide consumer cross-section:
Furniture Black Chair Recliner Leather

And this more expensive one is offered by a very reputable company:
Massage chair Furniture Recliner Chair Comfort

#3 ·
#8 ·
Every so often Costco has some nice home theater seating. Have you been there yet?

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.