Manual or Automatic - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 15 Old 04-13-10, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
mriordan

Manual or Automatic

Looking at the Berkline home theatre chairs. Talked to Roman this morning who was very helpful and gave some good guidance.

I just had one question, is it a major no brainer to do the power seats? How hard are they to fix once/if they break? That is the concern to me. I obviously would love them over manual as long as they worked.

Anyone have experience with these? Does anyone locally even know how to fix these type of seats outside of Berkline itself (which you obviously wouldn't be sending the seats back three years out).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-13-10, 03:39 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Re: Manual or Automatic

My personal preference is manual. I don't like the idea of my chair not working properly if a wire shorts. It is a cool idea, but I would rather spend the extra money on a better system, wall treatments, etc. Now if money is no issue and you can fix the chairs as soon as they break and you don't mind the inconvenience of it all, I'd say go for it. Just my two cents.

matteo
post #3 of 15 Old 04-13-10, 04:11 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Consider if you have kids that will play with the power chairs, if you dont or the room is for movies only under supervision the power ones should last many many years as long as the moving parts are kept lubricated.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 15 Old 04-13-10, 04:20 PM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

If any chair users have back trouble or arthritis power recline is a godsend. Got mine from Roman a year ago and love them.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #5 of 15 Old 04-13-10, 04:21 PM
RSH
Senior Shackster
Roman

Folks,

Please understand that this is only my opinion and I am not suggesting it just to sell you more expensive product. As a matter of fact we have over 1200 recliners in our warehouse, and not even one is manual.

1. Does power recliner break? Yes, it does like anything else - your dishwasher, refrigerator, TV, car, etc... Does that mean you should not buy it? The power recline failure rate is 2%. Most of the failures (if they occur at all) happen within first months or so (this is from my experience). You would get a replacement part quite quickly, and it would take no more then 5 minutes to replace it...
2. The manual recliners only have 3 fixed positions. You WILL NOT be able to hold the chair in any position you want. The chair must be in one of those predefined positions. It is really frustrating when you need to balance the chair with your body if it is not a fixed position.
3. If you have kids or older people sitting in the chairs, they may not have enough strength to press with their legs on the footrest in order to bring the chair into an upright position. This means that every time they need to get up and run to the bathroom you would need to close the manual recliner for them.

FYI: I have the Berkline recliners for over 7 years, and never had a problem with the power recline. And I use them every single day.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-13-10, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
mriordan

I got electric on my support poles just in case!
post #7 of 15 Old 04-20-10, 08:18 AM
Senior Shackster
usrsld

Electric recline is the ONLY way to go. Spend the extra few bucks, you won't regret it.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-24-10, 11:39 AM
Senior Shackster
usrsld

I have powered Berline 12000 seating (from Roman) and would not want to do without power. The ability to adjust the chairs in increments is a MUST have freature for long movie nights. Go power and you won't go back!
post #9 of 15 Old 02-01-11, 08:46 PM
Shackster

If you have multiple power chairs do they all need seperate outlets or is there a feature where they can plug into each other and just one plugs into an outlet?

Just curious, never had a power seat but would LOVE to get some. Are there any specifics I need to know when designing my HT room?
post #10 of 15 Old 02-01-11, 09:30 PM
Senior Shackster
Stew

I've had Manual now for 5 years. If I had to do it over again, I would get automatic for all of the reasons that Roman mentioned (especially #2 & #3)