Manual or Automatic - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Standout Design DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater Installation | Systems > Home Theater Seating and Accessories
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 6152 - Replies: 14  
Old 04-13-10, 01:13 PM   #1

mriordan
Since: Apr 2010
I started this thread.
Manual or Automatic

Looking at the Berkline home theatre chairs. Talked to Roman this morning who was very helpful and gave some good guidance.

I just had one question, is it a major no brainer to do the power seats? How hard are they to fix once/if they break? That is the concern to me. I obviously would love them over manual as long as they worked.

Anyone have experience with these? Does anyone locally even know how to fix these type of seats outside of Berkline itself (which you obviously wouldn't be sending the seats back three years out).

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-10, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior Shackster

Matt
Since: Jul 2006
Utah
Re: Manual or Automatic

My personal preference is manual. I don't like the idea of my chair not working properly if a wire shorts. It is a cool idea, but I would rather spend the extra money on a better system, wall treatments, etc. Now if money is no issue and you can fix the chairs as soon as they break and you don't mind the inconvenience of it all, I'd say go for it. Just my two cents.

matteo

Old 04-13-10, 05:11 PM   #3
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
Since: Sep 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My System

Consider if you have kids that will play with the power chairs, if you dont or the room is for movies only under supervision the power ones should last many many years as long as the moving parts are kept lubricated.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Old 04-13-10, 05:20 PM   #4
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Silly Girl!
Since: Jan 2009
Central AL

If any chair users have back trouble or arthritis power recline is a godsend. Got mine from Roman a year ago and love them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 04-13-10, 05:21 PM   #5
RSH
Senior Shackster

Roman
Since: Jul 2006
NJ

Folks,

Please understand that this is only my opinion and I am not suggesting it just to sell you more expensive product. As a matter of fact we have over 1200 recliners in our warehouse, and not even one is manual.

1. Does power recliner break? Yes, it does like anything else - your dishwasher, refrigerator, TV, car, etc... Does that mean you should not buy it? The power recline failure rate is 2%. Most of the failures (if they occur at all) happen within first months or so (this is from my experience). You would get a replacement part quite quickly, and it would take no more then 5 minutes to replace it...
2. The manual recliners only have 3 fixed positions. You WILL NOT be able to hold the chair in any position you want. The chair must be in one of those predefined positions. It is really frustrating when you need to balance the chair with your body if it is not a fixed position.
3. If you have kids or older people sitting in the chairs, they may not have enough strength to press with their legs on the footrest in order to bring the chair into an upright position. This means that every time they need to get up and run to the bathroom you would need to close the manual recliner for them.

FYI: I have the Berkline recliners for over 7 years, and never had a problem with the power recline. And I use them every single day.

Old 04-13-10, 08:18 PM   #6

mriordan
Since: Apr 2010
I started this thread.

I got electric on my support poles just in case!

Old 04-20-10, 09:18 AM   #7
Senior Shackster

usrsld
Since: Feb 2009
South Carolina

Electric recline is the ONLY way to go. Spend the extra few bucks, you won't regret it.

Old 06-24-10, 12:39 PM   #8
Senior Shackster

usrsld
Since: Feb 2009
South Carolina

I have powered Berline 12000 seating (from Roman) and would not want to do without power. The ability to adjust the chairs in increments is a MUST have freature for long movie nights. Go power and you won't go back!

Old 02-01-11, 09:46 PM   #9
Shackster

Since: Feb 2011
Pittsburgh

If you have multiple power chairs do they all need seperate outlets or is there a feature where they can plug into each other and just one plugs into an outlet?

Just curious, never had a power seat but would LOVE to get some. Are there any specifics I need to know when designing my HT room?

Old 02-01-11, 10:30 PM   #10
Senior Shackster

Stew
Since: May 2009

I've had Manual now for 5 years. If I had to do it over again, I would get automatic for all of the reasons that Roman mentioned (especially #2 & #3)

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater Installation | Systems > Home Theater Seating and Accessories »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »