The Popcorn Thread - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 80 Old 03-27-14, 08:21 PM
Shackster
Scott

Re: The Popcorn Thread

Quote:
dtprkr wrote: View Post
Glad to find this discussion going on. I have a Paragon popcorn machine that I would highly recommend
to anyone searching for a popper. We have been using the pre-measured packets from paragon to use with it.
I'm always curious to try something different or perhaps better,, as of late, I've heard a lot of talk about Black
Jewel popcorn. Has anyone heard of it or tried it??? If so, please share some info.

Thanks
Dtprkr
I don't think I've tried that kind, but it looks like one of the small, white types. Typically, the kernels pop up smaller and crisper than the yellow type. Reviews on Amazon are mostly positive, with one person claiming it uses more oil.

You've got a good popper, go ahead and try some of the Black Jewel. You may like it better than the standard yellow. It will have a different flavor and texture.

If you do try it, be sure to post back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 80 Old 03-27-14, 08:27 PM
Shackster
Scott

Quote:
Bob in St. Louis wrote: View Post
I've never heard of that one. News to me.

It's fun bouncing from the various typed of oils from night to night, but I'd have to say coconut is my favorite.
Wifey isn't convinced there's much difference, so it's going to hard for me to talk her into spending the extra cash for (what I think is) the good stuff.

The Flavacol continues to be amazing!

Bob
Yeah, coconut is the best, isn't it?

Have you checked out the price of the nine pound Snappy brand container? You may be able to find it locally, and it's only $22 on Amazon. Nine pounds should last a long time.

Scott
post #23 of 80 Old 04-03-14, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Bob

That's a fantastic price. That nine pounds is just a bit higher than the 1.5 pound container I bought.
For anybody interested, >> HERE << is the link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #24 of 80 Old 06-12-14, 02:27 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

We have a Paragon popper which we love. Actually just used it for the first time in months last night (too scared of waking the baby with all the popping). I have been buying the packs, but would like to try out some bulk coconut oil and corn to see if I can do things cheaper. I also have a container of flavacol, so seasoning shouldn't be a problem.

- OJ -

post #25 of 80 Old 06-13-14, 08:15 AM
J&D
Senior Shackster

My System

Looked at poppers for many years since I finished the HT in 06' but just have not purchased one. Primarily because popping on the gas cook top is so fast and easy. Cleanup consists of throwing the 5qt. kettle I use in the dishwasher.

We have tried many types of corn from the typical stuff found in every grocery store to boutique brands found in specialty stores to online brands, to bulk brands. The best we have found is the bulk white carried by an Amish grocery store near my parents farm. After finding this we ditched any and all of the yellow stuff we had on the shelf. Sorry, no phone or internet at this store!
post #26 of 80 Old 06-13-14, 09:59 AM
Senior Shackster

Finally a thread I can contribute to! LOL.

I have used a Whirly Pop for a few yeas now and swear by it. After trying a bunch of different brands of popcorn I now cook Snappy white. I usually cook the popcorn in olive oil, and sometimes put dehydrated cheddar cheese from Amazon on it. Although... I've found that as much as I love the cheese flavor it kind of overpowers the delicious simple flavor of the popcorn.

I will definitely get some coconut oil...I pretty much love everything coconut.
post #27 of 80 Old 06-13-14, 09:41 PM
Shackster
Scott

I've been using the Snappy brand coconut oil for over a month now, and am quite happy with it. There's no sweet aftertaste like the Carrington Farms brand I had purchased at Costco.

There's a fantastic deal on Amazon right now for Great Northern coconut oil - just $15 for a gallon. I don't need it, but bought it anyway. Coconut oil has a great shelf life.

Here's a link, not sure how long the price will last:

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern...A/ref=pd_ybh_3

I can't vouch for the brand, but the price is too good to pass up.

Scott
post #28 of 80 Old 06-14-14, 07:44 AM
Senior Shackster

I just might give this a try. It seems to be highly rated, and claims to be real movie theater popcorn salt.

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Medal-Pro...y+popcorn+salt

Anybody used it? Or maybe a different suggestion for plain popcorn salt?
post #29 of 80 Old 08-07-14, 10:52 PM
Senior Shackster

I did buy that flavacol salt and love it. It gives a good movie theater popcorn taste. It's a very fine powder, I bought a dredge to shake it on the popcorn.

Flavacol salt is a winner.
post #30 of 80 Old 08-08-14, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Bob

Yes indeed, it's good stuff!
The wife and I have popcorn almost every night, and that container of Flavacol is half gone. It's been many months since we bought it, I can't recall exactly.
But the way I use it, is I pour a tsp in the oil at the beginning of the 'cook' and let the stirring arm disperse the spice.

Bob