The Popcorn Thread - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 80 Old 10-25-15, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Bob

Re: The Popcorn Thread

Indeed. You can't beat coconut oil. I think our tubs are 9# each?
Yea, much better than any other oil I've tried.

I've got a 1# tub that I refill from the 9# one.
When the little one gets low, I fill the sink in the HT room with hot water and put the big tub in it while we watch a movie. By the time the movie is over, I'll pour the oil into the little tub. Since the melting point of coconut oil is just under 80 degrees, it doesn't take much to get it liquid. I do this because it's MUCH easier to spoon out of the little one pound tub that sticking half my arm down in the big tub.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Old 11-02-15, 04:03 PM
Shackster

Love this thread ( infact I made an account because of it). I'm surprised that no one has any dedicated countertop popcorn makers in their HT rooms. I plan on putting in a theater style one...

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern...dp/B000QWE6S4/

I've recently been on a bend to make movie theater popcorn at home. I tried coconut oil, but ...well it tastes like coconut. The theaters used to use refined coconut oil, which has little coconut taste. Also getting butter flavored oil gets it pretty close to what it tastes like at the movies.

My wife likes layered, "butter" on her popcorn. Application was an issue so I got a spray bottle and it works pretty well but it can be a hassle to get an even coat while tossing and not losing half of the popcorn. I bought a gallon sized bottle of the flavored oil topping and a bottle pump (also like what I've seen at theaters). It's much faster, a couple of squirts and toss the popcorn to coat. Then sprinkle some Flavacol on top and toss again.

Anyway to summarize, I've found three things give popcorn that dead on movie theater taste.

1) Cook in butter flavored refined coconut oil (1Tbs per 1/4 cup)
2) Toss with butter flavored oil topping (if desired)
3) Toss with Flavacol butter flavored salt
4*) "Gourmet popcorn", it doesn't taste any different but it pops larger; similar to movie theater popcorn.

From reviews I've read, I'd recommend the Westbend Stir Crazy (http://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-8230...dp/B00004RC6R/) for a popcorn popper, the countertop versus air poppers seem to have a better taste. The best taste I've found was from a stovetop popper. (Yes, I bought three for testing, but not at the same time ok )

Anyway, I'll post some links to the stuff I've found if you're interested in trying it. Most of it is Great Northern because it's usually the cheapest, but there's similar products linked on each page if you don't like Great Northern for some reason.

(Note: All of the butters and oil are colored with beta carotene like what colors carrots, it's nothing harmful like Yellow 5 or something.)
Butter flavored coconut oil small: amazon.com/Wabash-Valley-Farms-Popping-Oil/dp/B002EITVVA/
Large: amazon.com/Snappy-Popcorn-Colored-Coconut-Gallon/dp/B003C4UDEY/

Butter flavored oil topping: http://www.amazon.com/Snappy-Popcorn...dp/B00AXK9ROC/

Flavacol butter flavored salt: http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Medal-Pro...dp/B004W8LT10/

Stovetop popcorn popper: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern...dp/B00608D66G/

Popcorn bags: http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Duro-...dp/B003XZGXCS/

This is the best one if you have a countertop/stovetop popcorn maker (not an air popper)

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern...dp/B009YGQ9CO/

This adds everything together and it's actually cheaper than buying it separately (someone check my math), except for the oil topping if you want extra, or the salt if you want extra.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone who is trying to get that full movie theater taste at home like I was. Though I've noticed different theaters use different brands with a slightly different butter flavors, so if you're trying to replicate your favorite theater flavor, ask them what brand oil they use, or if they wont tell you, try a few different ones like Paragon, Snappy, Great Northern...etc.

Last edited by Rolkin; 11-03-15 at 04:29 AM.
post #63 of 80 Old 11-02-15, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Bob

Quote:
Rolkin wrote: View Post
Love this thread ( infact I made an account because of it).
Wow, I'm impressed! Welcome to The Shack!
That's a great first post, and very helpful. A lot of good information in there. Thank you for that!

My popper is nearing the end of its life and I'll be in the market for a new one soon. It's served us well and was very reasonably priced. But that unit you linked to seems like a pretty nice one and priced cheaper than I've seen similar units priced at.
Might have to run that one past the "Director of Financial Expenditures".

Bob

post #64 of 80 Old 11-03-15, 04:33 AM
Shackster

Yeah, I actually have a "Kettle Krazy" right now, which is a beefier version of the stir crazy. I went this route because when I get the Great Northern unit setup, the Kettle Crazy will become my dedicated coffee roaster.

Which reminds me I'm almost out of coffee, I should go roast some more.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot they have this one in black,
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QWCAB4/

Last edited by Rolkin; 11-03-15 at 05:59 AM.
post #65 of 80 Old 11-03-15, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Bob

Quote:
Rolkin wrote: View Post
Oh yeah, I almost forgot they have this one in black,
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QWCAB4/
Yea, that's a nice looking unit for sure. Will definitely keep that one in mind. Thanks!

post #66 of 80 Old 12-25-15, 04:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

So, my current Cuisnart popcorn maker top has bit the dust (fell off the counter and broke) so I'm looking at getting the Great Northern mentioned above as for the price it will make a lot more popcorn. Any comments on how well it's working for any of you that have ones like it?

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #67 of 80 Old 12-25-15, 08:26 PM
Shackster

I still haven't bought one yet. Unfortunately or fortunately rather, we had some heavy rains in Texas a while ago and we found out that our property we were closing on, floods; severely. So, I never got to build my theater room and thus don't have room for this popcorn machine. The Amazon reviews are good though.
post #68 of 80 Old 12-26-15, 02:41 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System
Just a quick popcorn note for me since this thread popped up. I have a 4oz Paragon machine which works well. I wish I had gone for the 6oz, just to have the larger kettle, but this one is still good.

Lately I've been experimenting with bulk corn and oil. My current recipe is 1tbsp coconut oil, 1tbsp canola oil, 1/2 cup kernels, and some Flavacol sprinkled in with the corn. Tastes almost as good as the premixed packs and is much cheaper.

- OJ -

post #69 of 80 Old 12-26-15, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Bob

Never tried mixing the oils. Hmmmm..... Sounds interesting!

post #70 of 80 Old 01-19-16, 11:19 AM
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Yay, it's national popcorn day!!
Find and follow posts here

Yumm! Enjoy!!

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am