Help with small theater 13' x 16'. - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 24 Old 10-23-08, 09:00 AM
Kuro
Inactive

Re: Help with small theater 13' x 16'.

I have an 80" Carada Screen (definatley recommended if not going the DIY route) in a 11 x 12 room (best I got) with a BenQ W5000 1080p. I sit between 6'- 8' (rolling, reclining chair) and have a couch at 10'. At 10' i'd say its to small. at the 6' i'd say 16x9 content is pefect however 2.35:1 is a tad on the small size.
Oh and as for people who recommend resolution based on screen size that is just misinformation. You resolution should be based of you seated distance to said screen size, if you are with the recommended seating distance (to closer obviously) then 1080p will definitaley be noticable and if it isn't its time for an eye exam. If you don't believe me think of it this way does a screen resolution of 1920x1200 on 24" sound ridiculous? Go ook at your computer monitor (or similiar). I believe this should explain why a set screen size cut off for 1080p should be abolished in the HT world.
I use towers for my fronts (Polk Monitor 50, - I'm not rich) and if the towers that sound nice to your ear fit under you needed screen height, then wham get three and use one as a center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 11-03-08, 06:21 PM
j12ramse
Inactive

Update: With the economy the way it is I have decieded to go with a much cheaper budget. I am going to use my Onkyo 605 reciever that I already own, and my PS3 for blueray. I chose the SVS SCS-01 7.1 package with their 12" sub ($2000), the Panasonic AE2000u for ($2000), and an 84" 16:9 Fixed Matte White Elite screen for ($399). I am also having a free floating riser constructed for ($1000).

Question: For that projector and an 84" screen and a 9ft ceiling, what mount should I buy? (Model suggestions, and flush or extended)
Panasonic has a high and a low mount and they are both about $450. Wow, more than I expected.

All I need now is the above mount, the wall sconces, and the mounting and calibration of the system. I am going to atempt to do most of this myself, and see where I need help as I work. Any advise on this is appreciated.

Last edited by j12ramse; 11-03-08 at 07:17 PM.
post #13 of 24 Old 11-03-08, 07:53 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
j12ramse wrote: View Post
... I am also having a free floating riser constructed for ($1000)...
Why don't you DIY??? ... it will be a lot cheaper, and is not hard to make one
post #14 of 24 Old 11-03-08, 08:41 PM
j12ramse
Inactive

Quote:
salvasol wrote: View Post
Why don't you DIY??? ... it will be a lot cheaper, and is not hard to make one
Your probably right. But I have no tools and am not much of a carpenter. For 1000 dollars I get to keep my fingers lol.
I do still need advice on the projector mount. Anyone have any thought?
Posted via Mobile Device
post #15 of 24 Old 11-04-08, 12:44 AM
Senior Shackster
Chris

Any decent universal mount should work. You should look at the manual for the PJ and determine how high it should be mounted for your desired screen height, and buy one that will allow you to mount at that height. Some have adjustment vertically, but that likely adds cost.
post #16 of 24 Old 11-04-08, 08:03 AM
Senior Shackster

Matt

that projector has lens shift capability of one full picture height, so I believe you could use a flush projector mout or one with very little extension. It is a very versitile projector, so just download the manual and look at the diagrams/tables for placement.
post #17 of 24 Old 11-08-08, 04:02 PM
j12ramse
Inactive

Any suggestions on a specific good flush mount universal mount. The Panisonic one is 459 dollars, and that seems high.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #18 of 24 Old 11-08-08, 11:47 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

I'd buy something from www.monoprice.com
post #19 of 24 Old 11-10-08, 09:33 PM
Senior Shackster
anthony

No need for a CD Jukebox either.....Pick up a Squeezebox Duet and rip your CD collection to your PC. The Duet remote gives you full control like a cd player but also displays album art and track info on a 2.4 lcd screen right on the remote. With a 500gb hard drive you can have a 1000cd jukebox. I like all of your choices exept the screen. A 96" DIY screen would have been the way i'd have gone for less than 1/4 what you will be getting. Like someone else said, check the DIY screen section. A piece of 4x8 wilsonart laminate mounted to a simple frame and hung on the wall is a pretty common option but with the Panny, painting it with a reflective gray mix like Black Widow would produce better results.
post #20 of 24 Old 11-11-08, 04:26 PM
j12ramse
Inactive

I decieded to go with a 2000 series Perfectmount $100. Seemed like a good option compared to the factory mount at $459.

I agree on the CD Changer. Although it's a little bit of a pain to rip them, it isn't that hard. I will check out the Squeeze box, had not hear of that.

On the screen. Just not much of a DIY, so thought $399 would get me going and the room is totally light controlled. If I'm not satisfied I can always explore the DIY option and not be out that much. (Just for curiosity would you recomend the reflective gray mix for a totally light controlled room?)