Simple Home theater system in the basement. Recommendations needed plz - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 9 Old 04-10-16, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Simple Home theater system in the basement. Recommendations needed plz

Hello everyone. First time poster here.
first of all, i must say, reading some of these threads, i'm very impressed by your civility! lol definitely not what i'm used to seeing being on forums in general.

Ok, so here's what i've got:

a basement that's about 30ft long by 17 ft wide (roughly). I'm installing this equipment:

- BenQ MW526 WXGA 3200 Lumens 3D Ready Projector with HDMI 1.4A
- QualGear PRB-717-BLK Universal Ceiling Mount Projector Accessory
- Elite Screens Spectrum, 100-inch 16:9, 4K Home Theater Electric Motorized Drop Down Projection Projector Screen, ELECTRIC100H
- Vizio SB4051-C0 40" 5.1 Bluetooth Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer (already installed as of yesterday)

I'm not really looking to change the items above, unless you tell me that there's something i've compeltely overlooked, or one of the products is absolutely junk.
I initially had bought a 65 dollar 120" pull down screen that happened to be 4:3 ratio...and also a sonicview projector that ended up needing about 15 ft distance (couldn't do that due to room config issues), hence the new equipment that was ordered above.

Any thoughts on the projector screen?
Any thoughts on the projector?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 9 Old 04-10-16, 11:09 PM
Senior Shackster
My System
Re: Simple Home theater system in the basement. Recommendations needed plz

Can't say much about the screen, other than it is priced low enough to make me consider buying one to replace my DIY screen.

If the BenQ MW526 gives you the Happy/$ quotient my BenQ W700 gives me, you'll be good.

QualGear mounts are a favorite for LCD TVs at my job (and we have a lot of them), and they seem to do the job nicely without being too expensive.

I'd think with a screen/PJ, and a room as large as yours, that the soundbar/sub combo will be the first thing you'll upgrade. Lots of room for improvement there, depending on budget. I'm not saying this due to any lack of quality in this particular product... but with ~4000cu ft of room to fill, the hardware that system brings to the table is a little thin. If all you're after is the ability to hear the audio track, I'm sure it will do that job. But if you want to experience it with an appreciable amount of depth, don't be surprised if you find yourself underwhelmed.

Last edited by DqMcClain; 04-10-16 at 11:50 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-12-16, 01:45 PM
My System

I'd say the screen size overshadows the audio significantly, but if it looks and sounds good to you you're all set.

ED Cinema 6 cabinet package for sale
post #4 of 9 Old 04-12-16, 07:41 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

DqMcClain more eloquently said what I was going to. A soundbar on a 100" screen is like the factory speakers in a 52" lcd TV. Movies will look amazing, but the sound may even take away from the experience, and I agree you will likely be upgrading soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 04-12-16, 09:32 PM
To put it simple, yes you indeed have overlooked on the sound system.
Having a dedicated HT room with with a sound bar greatly undermines the total experience.And by looking at your video set up,you should seriously look into investing in more in your sound system.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-13-16, 08:50 AM
Senior Shackster
My System

If I had a 30 x 17 room at my disposal and a little extra money, I would go for a good sound ht system 5.1 or 5.2 at least . With this space, so many choices to place 5 speakers and 2 subs that could give you a fantastic Sound Stage and image.
My personnal opinion only.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-16-16, 08:22 AM
Senior Shackster
I would agree completely with the other posters regarding sound. Tests have been done that conclusively demonstrate that sound quality is actually more important to people than picture quality, which is the opposite of what I would have thought. Soundbars are mainly for space challenged rooms, and a dedicated space such as yours should have high quality speakers to go along with a good projected image.

post #8 of 9 Old 04-18-16, 10:33 AM
Senior Shackster
My System

Count me in the fold that's saying.. Your scrimping too much on your sound system and I think you may regret the decision later.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-18-16, 08:58 PM
Elite Shackster
Mr. Rabbit
I'll join the bandwagon here in saying audio matters.

basement , home , needed , plz , recommendations , simple , system , theater

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page