Rule of thumb? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 20 Old 08-18-16, 08:45 AM
Senior Shackster

Greg

My System
Re: Rule of thumb?

I have to say, I am very impressed with B&W speakers. A great British speaker manufacturer with a long list of speaker design patents and technology firsts. If I had $40,000 I'd buy the 800 Diamond pair.., ah , but then I'd have to upgrade my cables and invest in seperate electronics etc etc. Luckily though some of the technology does trickle down into the more affordable HT/Music speakers.
In the past I have read reviews describing speakers as being better at music repro or preferred for movie repro but for the most part these days good speakers will reproduce either/or sound program input IMHO and that it is the speaker array and numbers of speakers and speaker placement and matched electronics etc etc that have the greatest impact.
About your choice of Denon AVR - I recently bought the Denon AVR X4200 and I'm very happy with sound thru my 5.1 B&W 303's and Focal sub. I upgraded to the newer Denon receiver because of its Dolby Atmos electronics. However the next day I learned Denon's newer AVR X6200 came with the new and improved DTS-X surround sound programming. Seems to me I read somewhere I can buy the DTS-X module to update the X4200..., oh well. I'm not even sure how many new movie releases are using the DTS-X programming format in any case until I build new front speakers I'm only using 5.1 speakers...

The only other thought I would offer - I believe 120 watts per channel is plenty of power for most speakers but for some of the larger more demanding three-way designs etc I would want 150-200watts this removes all doubt especially with most newer solid-state electronics, 150watts get the job done. Its not very often you find newer speakers with efficiency SPL ratings much below 90db and with 150watts sound has a consistently effortless quality at any volume.

Happy listening

We believe everything we tell ourselves..., don't we??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 08-18-16, 08:59 AM
Senior Shackster

Greg

My System

Oh yeah, I just want to add - the ELAC speakers mentioned above are recently reviewed here at HTS. Also, Stereophile mag's recent review of ELAC speakers made many impressive comments about the ELAC B6 review pair and a CEShow pair setup. It seems everyone who listened/heard them stopped for a little critical listening and sounded very happy they did.
Just a few more to consider..., hope your enjoying the process

Peace thru Compassion and Education

post #13 of 20 Old 08-18-16, 10:34 AM
Senior Shackster

Greg

My System

Oh, FYI - the actual "Rule of Thumb" was an unwritten law stating a parent, husband, etc could not cut a stick bigger around than his thumb to discipline his children/orphan, wife, slave or occupants of early psychiatric facilities etc etc. Unfortunately it wasn't until the 1940's that states began to write laws protecting children from parental abuse and not until the 60's states wrote laws specifically protecting women from spousal abuse. Even after women won the right to vote in 1920 it still took 40 years to convince state gov lawmakers physical abuse was not the best response/solution to controversy. To this day, around the world, police and the courts are reluctant to interfere "family matters."
Communication and education is the answer - somehow education is still not the popular answer.

post #14 of 20 Old 08-18-16, 11:24 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Gregr wrote: View Post
Oh yeah, I just want to add - the ELAC speakers mentioned above are recently reviewed here at HTS.
HTS has not had the opportunity to review the ELAC speakers, so perhaps you're thinking of some other website?

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #15 of 20 Old 08-18-16, 01:36 PM
Senior Shackster

Greg

My System

Your kind of right - It was an AXPONA 2016 review by tesseract - here's the link

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ml#post1434714

Some nice adjectives are being used to describe a $279 speaker...

post #16 of 20 Old 08-18-16, 01:57 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

4 or 5 small paragraphs from a drive-by at a show are not a review, more like a quick mention. Hopefully we can arrange to get a pair though, and that way one of us can actually do a review.

-Jim

post #17 of 20 Old 08-18-16, 02:02 PM
Old Splice

My System

I definitely agree that you should make speakers a priority. But if you are going to use self-powered subs, you can probably afford to scrimp on the AVR. I have been very happy with a Denon AVR-S510BT at $229 (70w/ch into 8 ohms) that automatically adjusts the output to your acoustic environment. I found that 100w/ch was more than adequate to drive my previous room, which was somewhat larger than yours. Also, bear in mind that the most important factor determining how well speakers sound is the room you put them in. So spend some time on acoustical design. This site will afford plenty of suggestions.

Good luck!
post #18 of 20 Old 08-18-16, 03:53 PM
Senior Shackster

Greg

My System

OK, OK a few passing thoughts in retrospect. A brief impression. A snapshot observation with quick assessment, like my first comment. Yeah I don't think he lived with the speakers long enough to allow for a brief break-in and with no meters/measurements..., but the ELAC name has been mentioned on more than one occasion along with some interesting impressions of musical character. I hope you do get a pair for review. Stereophile reviewed the B6's I believe and the reviewer made references to the smaller B4 or B5 he had listened to briefly. Might be helpful to review one of the other smaller speaker pairs for actual comp with Stereophile' B6 review although for $50 more the B6 is probable the one we are all more interested in learning about.

I was going to suggest Chase Home Theater for the subwoofers but none of his web pages would load this morning. Do you know, has Chas ended this business venture. I don't know of anyone more knowledgeable about engineering and building high quality speakers at amazingly affordable prices.

Happy Listening

post #19 of 20 Old 08-19-16, 08:25 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Gregr wrote: View Post
I was going to suggest Chase Home Theater for the subwoofers but none of his web pages would load this morning. Do you know, has Chas ended this business venture. I don't know of anyone more knowledgeable about engineering and building high quality speakers at amazingly affordable prices.
Craig Chase closed his operation and merged with The Audio Insider several years ago. That merger was dissolved at least a year ago, and at that time Craig decided to get out of the audio business entirely.

-Jim

post #20 of 20 Old 10-20-16, 09:37 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Look for a receiver that has some weight to it as this is usually a good indication it has a beefier amplification section. (If less than 30lbs don't even go there unless it uses a class D amp section)
Tony, Are you saying under 30 it is no good? I took the plunge on the X4200 that is roughly 26 pounds and not a D amp. Most of todays middle line receivers are not as hefty like they used to be. Does this mean I should send it back because my 805 weights almost twice the amount?
This is what worries me about todays receivers you sacrifice amp for more features.

ALSO my apologies for the hijack here just had to ask