6 Zone System - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 20 Old 10-04-16, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: 6 Zone System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
If you are just going to be using it for background listening it is fine IMO...You can always hookup a bigger amp for the rooms you want more power for though. I would look at the less expensive Russound I linked, and check to see if it can also handle external amps as it seems to be a very good price. The expensive part is the keypads.
I don't mind background music but I'd like the ability to push 40 or 60 RMS since it's just one speaker per room and I have young friends who care more about dB than quality.

I don't mind a basic turn volume knob over a fancy keypad, so if there are savings there, I'd take them. I was thinking most multi zone amps do 40 RMS or 60 RMS, maybe I was only looking at multi 'channel' and not multi zone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 10-04-16, 06:26 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
CTSNicholas wrote: View Post
I have heard of the 70 volt system, but the volume is normally adjusted on that transformer that goes with the speaker instead of a volume knob. I'm afraid the knob would impede with the transformer.
Actually itís the wattage thatís adjusted at the transformer, which of course affects the volume. However, you can use outboard volume controls with 70-volt.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #13 of 20 Old 10-04-16, 07:40 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
That's a decent price. Question though, since I don't have Left and Right 'channels'...what is the 12 channel going to play out to be like? See, I ran wire for 1 speaker centrally located in each room. Office, Master Bath, Main Bath, Living Room, Kitchen, and Patio. Do I just run the set of wire to 1 side (L or R)
Most receivers have a mono setting but I'm not sure if that would play on all channels or just across the front.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #14 of 20 Old 10-05-16, 09:32 AM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

If sound volume is an issue (decibels) you should look more at the size of the speaker then that of the amp. You may find it counterintuitive but a 100watt amp pushing a 5" speaker may not end up sounding as good as an 8" with a 40 watt amp. Also how securely the speaker is mounted may make a difference.

post #15 of 20 Old 10-05-16, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

Actually itís the wattage thatís adjusted at the transformer, which of course affects the volume. However, you can use outboard volume controls with 70-volt.

Regards,
Wayne

Right, that's what I meant by adjusted at the transformer...the system I played with had a standard 8ohm speaker, forgot the rms, and then the transformer with a range of .5W to 10W with about 5 different choices. To adjust the volume of the individual speaker I had to unwire and wire back to a different lead. I want to avoid that, but also have something for a long time, so I want something that won't slowly cause the transformer to fail. I have had to replace 2 on some speakers only after a year but that may be the amp's fault not the transformer. Do you suggest using a volume knob *as* the transformer? (sounds pricey, but easier to replace than pulling a speaker once installed) or do you recommend a certain transformer for my situation that I just leave on the max wattage selection and run a standard volume knob to adjust the level?

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Most receivers have a mono setting but I'm not sure if that would play on all channels or just across the front.
Not sure what you mean by front, since this isn't a multi channel room such as Front left, front right, center, rear etc...each room will be it's own zone. All playing the same source audio, but with a single speaker in mono instead of a single speaker in stereo as I didn't run 4 conductor wire like I probably could have easily done at the time! I know some amps can bridge left and right audio, so I'm guessing that's what I need to find.

Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
If sound volume is an issue (decibels) you should look more at the size of the speaker then that of the amp. You may find it counterintuitive but a 100watt amp pushing a 5" speaker may not end up sounding as good as an 8" with a 40 watt amp. Also how securely the speaker is mounted may make a difference.
True, I'm probably going for 5 to 8 inch speakers that can be installed from inside the house without crawling in the attic to install mounting brackets. My attic is a nightmare with all the web trusses.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-05-16, 10:35 AM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

Because you currently only have wiring for mono going to each location this article my be of interest to you.
http://www.currentaudio.com/tektips/...es/AP_S101.pdf

Since you have not pre planned the size of speaker you will be installing I take it you did not pre install any type of bracket for you speakers and the plan is to suspend them from the ceiling drywall. Hopefully you don't have loose fill insulation or your hole cutting will make a mess... Anyway, if you are mounting the speaker on the drywall (i.e. some type of tab flips out when you tighten a screw on the front of the speaker) I will suggests that if its not already there get some foam tape for around the edge that sits against the drywall, this will help with the woofer vibrating the drywall.

post #17 of 20 Old 10-05-16, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Because you currently only have wiring for mono going to each location this article my be of interest to you.
http://www.currentaudio.com/tektips/...es/AP_S101.pdf

Since you have not pre planned the size of speaker you will be installing I take it you did not pre install any type of bracket for you speakers and the plan is to suspend them from the ceiling drywall. Hopefully you don't have loose fill insulation or your hole cutting will make a mess... Anyway, if you are mounting the speaker on the drywall (i.e. some type of tab flips out when you tighten a screw on the front of the speaker) I will suggests that if its not already there get some foam tape for around the edge that sits against the drywall, this will help with the woofer vibrating the drywall.
I just ran wire to a center location between my trusses so any speaker size could be added. I taped the wire to my fiberglass insulation batting, and measured before hanging the ceiling 5/8" rock. The idea is to come in now, or when ready, measure to that taped wire location, cut a small diameter hole to find the wire, and then adjust the hole to the size I want for a speaker. I will then more than likely cut out some of the fiberglass insulation to fit a speaker without the speaker compressing into the fiberglass, since the kraft paper is facing down, it would dome my insulation causing a less R value in the whole general area since the insulation would not lay flat anymore.

I have installed speakers before that only required metal tabs to be bent over once the speaker is installed from the bottom, and screws through the rock to mount it. Yes, I plan on the 5/8" rock supporting my speaker. The foam is a good idea, I will probably look into 1/4" thick maybe 3/8" thick? If I got the wild hair......to blow an attic door in where I framed out for one, as I have sealed the attic for the time being since I do not need any access to it....then I may decide to then run 4 conductor wire...maybe ... hopefully I could just tape to the old wire, and gently pull it out from all the locations...wasting that $200 worth of 2 conductor wire...lol. At the same time I'd probably run some romex for desired can lights that did not fit the budget Besides the horrible positions it would take to monkey through the atttic, I know I would never get the same R-Value I currently have since I diligently poofed each piece of insulation to maximum efficiency thinking it would never have to be walked on!
post #18 of 20 Old 10-05-16, 12:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

Hindsight is always 20/20

post #19 of 20 Old 10-05-16, 12:19 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
I don't mind background music but I'd like the ability to push 40 or 60 RMS since it's just one speaker per room and I have young friends who care more about dB than quality.

I don't mind a basic turn volume knob over a fancy keypad, so if there are savings there, I'd take them. I was thinking most multi zone amps do 40 RMS or 60 RMS, maybe I was only looking at multi 'channel' and not multi zone.
The keypads also allow you to switch sources, and the difference between 20 and 40 is only 3db...barely noticeable.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

post #20 of 20 Old 10-05-16, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Hindsight is always 20/20
You're telling me. I planned for several months, albeit alone not with outside sources giving input. My biggest crutch was not willing to go over budget on my build, and not realizing I would *really* want those extra things later on...costing more headache and money later.
Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
The keypads also allow you to switch sources, and the difference between 20 and 40 is only 3db...barely noticeable.
Ah, I didn't look into that very far. And true, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of 20 rms vs 60 rms, but I'm sure it's not too noticeable either. More so than 20 to 40, though.