6 Zone System - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 09-30-16, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Arrow 6 Zone System

Hey All,

I built my home and at the time of building could not afford an audio system to save my life. So, I just ran 14 gauge CL3 wire in the attic to desired speaker locations for ceiling mount, and also ran to and from wires to 3 designated in-wall volume control locations for each bathroom & the main living area. A couple speakers are just home runs to the speaker. Hindsight is 20-20, and for the extra work to make all speakers their own volume control would have been negligible. At the time I figured "Hey the amp will have each independent zone control so I don't need to spend the extra $ for wire and the future knob.

Anywho, I am now looking into a system. At least something I can start saving up for. I have 6 speaker locations total, 1 will be outdoor on the deck when the deck is...built.

I'd like to have a 6 zone system at least with independent volume adjustment for each zone. I confused myself a little with the livingroom/kitchen area because if I remember right, I ran independent wires to each speaker to the desired volume knob...but I think I could have just ran one feed to the knob and then run each feed to the speaker. This would mean maybe a 5 zone would work, but I assume they come in even numbers. I don't know where to start on brand and price range. I want a good system that lasts me many years, and has enough volume that I can really jam out to. I know a lot of that depends on my speakers, but I want the amp/receiver (not sure the proper term in this case) to push a decent amount of RMS Watts per zone and not just a small amount shared across all zones.

Thanks for input. I'll answer anything I can to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-30-16, 02:18 PM

Ron

My System
Re: 6 Zone System

I had a Russound CAV6 in my last house and loved it, but they have gotten pretty expensive now. Monoprice has their own one now that appears to be less expensive than the Russound unit used with out control panels.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...B21NSR2TREARV1

I haven't tried it, but I have been happy with other Monoprice products...for the price it is worth trying out IMO.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-30-16, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I had a Russound CAV6 in my last house and loved it, but they have gotten pretty expensive now. Monoprice has their own one now that appears to be less expensive than the Russound unit used with out control panels.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...B21NSR2TREARV1

I haven't tried it, but I have been happy with other Monoprice products...for the price it is worth trying out IMO.
Does Russound still produce new units? I'll have to look at the pricing. The monoprice looks nice, but it seems with only 6 reviews it has 2.5 stars out of 5. Seems a bit shabby for such a price if it's not very good.

post #4 of 20 Old 10-01-16, 11:02 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

How about this Dayton audio 12 channel unit. It has independent volume for each channel
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ifier--300-815

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 20 Old 10-01-16, 11:37 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
CTSNicholas wrote: View Post
Does Russound still produce new units? I'll have to look at the pricing. The monoprice looks nice, but it seems with only 6 reviews it has 2.5 stars out of 5. Seems a bit shabby for such a price if it's not very good.
Yes they are still available new, but the CAV is a lot more expensive than when I bought mine...
https://www.amazon.com/Russound-CAV-...ssound+cav+6.6

Here is a lower end model...which is closer to what I paid for my CAV new when i bought it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...JHD65KKM3CD9HY

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #6 of 20 Old 10-01-16, 01:09 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Might want to check out Home Theater Direct – they specialize in whole-house audio.

That said, the commercial audio world long ago figured out the best and cheapest way to accomplish multiple ceiling speaker installation – 70 volt systems.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #7 of 20 Old 10-04-16, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
How about this Dayton audio 12 channel unit. It has independent volume for each channel
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ifier--300-815
That's a decent price. Question though, since I don't have Left and Right 'channels'...what is the 12 channel going to play out to be like? See, I ran wire for 1 speaker centrally located in each room. Office, Master Bath, Main Bath, Living Room, Kitchen, and Patio. Do I just run the set of wire to 1 side (L or R) ?

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Yes they are still available new, but the CAV is a lot more expensive than when I bought mine...
https://www.amazon.com/Russound-CAV-...ssound+cav+6.6

Here is a lower end model...which is closer to what I paid for my CAV new when i bought it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...JHD65KKM3CD9HY
Wow, that Russound Cav 6 sure is pricey now :P
The CAA66K looks like a nice set for 6 zones. I see it only says 20 RMS per zone. Does that seem low?

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

Might want to check out Home Theater Direct they specialize in whole-house audio.

That said, the commercial audio world long ago figured out the best and cheapest way to accomplish multiple ceiling speaker installation 70 volt systems.

Regards,
Wayne
I will look there, too. I have heard of the 70 volt system, but the volume is normally adjusted on that transformer that goes with the speaker instead of a volume knob. I'm afraid the knob would impede with the transformer.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-04-16, 02:00 PM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

By your description it looks like you have three zone control locations, one at each volume control. However, you have two zones for each of those control locations. IF that is the case you will need to get a control similar to this
https://www.amazon.com/PyleHome-PVCD.../dp/B007A99ICA
However this one would only work if you are running a mono signal to each location.

Since you have only one speaker in each location this should help you a bit
http://www.htd.com/s.nl/ctype.KB/it.I/id.2623/KB.37/.f

I would probably call HTD and explain to them your wiring and get their input

post #9 of 20 Old 10-04-16, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
By your description it looks like you have three zone control locations, one at each volume control. However, you have two zones for each of those control locations. IF that is the case you will need to get a control similar to this
https://www.amazon.com/PyleHome-PVCD.../dp/B007A99ICA
However this one would only work if you are running a mono signal to each location.

Since you have only one speaker in each location this should help you a bit
http://www.htd.com/s.nl/ctype.KB/it.I/id.2623/KB.37/.f

I would probably call HTD and explain to them your wiring and get their input
I'll look into it.

I can't fathom what I was thinking back when I ran wire. I had just helped install a 70 volt system for a family member where we ran 2 strand wire. I should have definitely ran 4 strand wire, shouldn't I? One speaker in each location is fine, but it's probably a lot better if it's a 'Stereo' speaker with dual input on the back, requiring 4 wires instead of the 2 I ran!
post #10 of 20 Old 10-04-16, 04:03 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
CTSNicholas wrote: View Post

Wow, that Russound Cav 6 sure is pricey now :P
The CAA66K looks like a nice set for 6 zones. I see it only says 20 RMS per zone. Does that seem low?

If you are just going to be using it for background listening it is fine IMO...You can always hookup a bigger amp for the rooms you want more power for though. I would look at the less expensive Russound I linked, and check to see if it can also handle external amps as it seems to be a very good price. The expensive part is the keypads.

Ron

My Home Theater