Help me decide on first surround system - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater System Recommendations
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 3411 - Replies: 40  
Old 02-16-09, 03:01 PM   #11
Elite Shackster

David
Since: Oct 2006
Fontana, CA
Re: Help me decide on first surround system

Quote:
stifler wrote: View Post
opinions on denon SYS-76HT speakers to compliment AV reciever
I think it will be a better option to get an Onkyo system (6100, 7100, etc.), their speakers have a better frequency response than most HTIB.

What other brands can you get where you live??? ...JBL, Polk, etc.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-09, 03:09 PM   #12
Shackster

stiflerMT
Since: Feb 2009
I started this thread.

Il phone a couple of retailers in the morning and post the outcome.

Old 02-16-09, 03:21 PM   #13
Elite Shackster

Jay
Since: Dec 2006
Western Wisconsin

It is likely you can get what you need in Europe. What country and city are you in?

My recommendation for buying something unheard would be the underrated Infinity Primus line. Person after person, review after review places these speakers squarely in the "Best for the Money" class. The tower, bookshelf and center speakers listed below all use the same drivers and are extremely well matched.

Infinity Primus P252 towers - $295/pair
Infinity Primus P152 bookshelves - $155/pair
Infinity Primus PC250 center - $134
Infinity PS210 subwoofer - $295
TOTAL - $879 or €688
International shipping available.
If you need 7.1 just add another pair of P152s.

Matched with the Onkyo TX-SR576 for €350 and you are in for under €1500 with shipping.

Last edited by jackfish; 02-16-09 at 03:56 PM..

Old 02-16-09, 11:25 PM   #14
Shackster

stiflerMT
I started this thread.

Im from Malta within the EU, what retailer sells the above speakers?

Old 02-16-09, 11:50 PM   #15
Shackster

stiflerMT
I started this thread.

Is placing the center speaker behind the TV a issue with surround systems as the way the room is furnished this is the only option (it cant rest on the TV) as its a plasma hence paper thin in construction

Old 02-17-09, 12:06 AM   #16

Kevin
Garland Texas

I have to agree with "Jackfish" in recommending the Infinity Primus speakers. My first system was the Infinity Interlude speakers, and at that time I had a Denon avr-2802. If your comfortable buying on ebay or Audiogon, you could probably find a mint condition Denon avr-3802 or 03 for around $300 american dollars. This is a great starter system, and the infinity's mix well with any high current Denon receiver. This system will blow away most HTIB systems. For what it's worth, in my opinion I'd stay away from Bose no matter what the cost. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Old 02-17-09, 09:18 AM   #17
Elite Shackster

Jay
Since: Dec 2006
Western Wisconsin

Quote:
Im from Malta within the EU, what retailer sells the above speakers?
International shipping more than doubles the cost of these items. You'ld be better off buying within the EU even if the prices are a bit higher. Call these establishments and ask about the Infinity Primus line; you have the model numbers from above.

EU Infinity Home Audio dealers:
Cutajar Ltd. Birkirkara, Malta Phone +356 21441720/21445603 Fax +356 21498632 Email cutajar@vol.net.mt
Kenwood Electronics Italia S.P.A. Milano, Italia Phone +39-02 204 821 Fax +39-02 2295 16281 Email info@kenwood.it
Harman France S.A. Paris, France Phone 33-1 55 78 54 00 Fax 33-1 55 78 54 01 Email hci_contact_france@harman.com
Lyric Ae Athens, Greece Phone 30-182 10 263 Fax 30-182 19 193 Email lyric@otenet.gr
Amacom 11633 Athens, Greece Phone 210 701 5259 Email theo@amacom.nu
Amacom - Greek Showroom GALATSIOU 41 3rd Floor GR-111.41 Athens, Greece Phone 0030-210 2232621 Fax 0030-210 2232621
Media Audio Split, Croatia Phone 00-385-21-343-161 Fax 00-385-21-315-220 Email info@mediaaudio.hr
BOFEX d.o.o. Ljubljana, Slovenia Phone +386 1 309 38 22 Fax +386 1 524 54 78 Email gregor.klancnik@bigbang.si
Harman Consumer UK St. Albans, Hertfordshire UK Phone +44 1707 278100 Fax +44 1707 278129 Email info.uk@harman.com

There are over 100 dealers that handle Infinity Home Audio in Germany. "http://www.infinity.de/home/where_to_buy/international_where_to_buy.aspx" Copy the text between the quotes and paste into your browser and select Germany.

You can place your Plasma TV on top of the center channel speaker.

Last edited by jackfish; 02-17-09 at 09:25 AM..

Old 02-18-09, 05:59 AM   #18
Shackster

MasterGuns
Okinawa

stifler,
There are obviously a lot of ideas out there. IMHO you have two choices.
1. stck with your current budget and get a HTIB ( I also recommend the Onkyo as I have owned several, and put them in my kids rooms when I am ready for an upgrade.)

2. Save more money and get a custom system that you will meet your needs over time. (you end up saving more in the long run) Tons of choices here. Read posts and they can give you a million ideas.

I know it is hard to wait, but you will definately notice a difference.

Best of luck to you.

Old 02-18-09, 08:11 PM   #19
Elite Shackster

David
Since: Oct 2006
Fontana, CA

Quote:
Is placing the center speaker behind the TV a issue with surround systems as the way the room is furnished this is the only option (it cant rest on the TV) as its a plasma hence paper thin in construction
If the TV will block or reflect the speaker audio...yes is an issue.

Can you use a shelf above/below TV??? ...Can you post a picture of your setup???

Old 02-19-09, 03:05 AM   #20
Shackster

stiflerMT
I started this thread.

Hi guys, thanks for all the posts. I have narrowed down my A/V choice to a TX-SR806 or 876 box as I have read that the 806 has some serious issues with 1080p direct feed (blue pixles etc) can someone confirm that the 876 is free of such issues and can pass a 1080p signal untouched?

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater System Recommendations »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »