Buying a sound surround sound system. - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater System Recommendations
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 3024 - Replies: 47  
Old 10-23-09, 01:20 PM   #11
Shackster

TheBuzzer
Since: Oct 2009
I started this thread.
Re: Buying a sound surround sound system.

Quote:
eugovector wrote: View Post
Banana Plugs at monoprice are about a buck a piece. $20 will get you 16 plugs, shipping included.

However, bare wire provides the least number of points for potential failure and, while not aesthetically pleasing, is usually the best quality connection. Unless you'll be looking at the back of your equipment often, or regularly switching out components, stick with bare wire.
thanks, i guess i will just run the wire. At monoprice there is bunch of different banana plug and non banana plug. Which one is good to use?

Also, how many plugs are there for a 5.1

it looks like there are 7? so I would need 14?

sub look like there are two?

Last edited by TheBuzzer; 10-23-09 at 01:34 PM..

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-09, 02:21 PM   #12
Banned!

Since: Sep 2006

Well, if you're just using wire, you won't need banana plugs.

However, if you did want to purchase banana plugs, I would recommend the closed screw type if you are using 18-12awg wire. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I recommend single plugs as opposed to those that are joined in a pair by a plastic piece (some AVR have non-standard spacing and these plugs won't fit).

Each speaker has two terminals, 1 red/positive and 1 black/negative. 5.1 is 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer so you need 10 plugs or 5 pairs.

You sub should be connected by a co-axial cable with RCA connectors (subwoofer cable). You do not need to use the speaker level connectors on the sub amp unless your AVR does not have a Pre-out (every surround capable AVR should).

Old 10-23-09, 03:05 PM   #13
Shackster

TheBuzzer
I started this thread.

When i look at the TX-SR876 receiver back, I dont see where the sub connection is.

i am thinking it might be the zone 1 and zone 2 but those r not rca or xlr connectors but speaker connectors?

Old 10-23-09, 03:08 PM   #14
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
Since: Sep 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My System

Its there, trust me. All HTR's have the sub line rca out.
Its the purple rca connector located in the pre out section.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Old 10-23-09, 03:22 PM   #15
Shackster

TheBuzzer
I started this thread.

Quote:
eugovector wrote: View Post
Well, if you're just using wire, you won't need banana plugs.

However, if you did want to purchase banana plugs, I would recommend the closed screw type if you are using 18-12awg wire. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I recommend single plugs as opposed to those that are joined in a pair by a plastic piece (some AVR have non-standard spacing and these plugs won't fit).

Each speaker has two terminals, 1 red/positive and 1 black/negative. 5.1 is 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer so you need 10 plugs or 5 pairs.

You sub should be connected by a co-axial cable with RCA connectors (subwoofer cable). You do not need to use the speaker level connectors on the sub amp unless your AVR does not have a Pre-out (every surround capable AVR should).

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-...nsd.cfm#driver

I don't see a rca connection for the sub itself though. only a speaker type connection.

Old 10-23-09, 03:26 PM   #16
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
My System

Its the Low level rca inputs (red/white) located top right, you only need to use one of them.

Home theater:
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

Old 10-23-09, 03:29 PM   #17
Shackster

TheBuzzer
I started this thread.

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Its the Low level rca inputs (red/white) located top right, you only need to use one of them.

K, I was confused because it is labeled R and L which should mean left or right?

I was thinking the sub wanted divided signals of sub sounds from left and right?

Are you sure I don't need to split the rca into two cables for the sub input from the reciever?

Last edited by TheBuzzer; 10-23-09 at 03:34 PM..

Old 10-23-09, 03:37 PM   #18
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
My System

Quote:
TheBuzzer wrote: View Post

Are you sure I don't need to split the rca into two cables for the sub input from the reciever?
No, it is not necessary, The signal from the receiver is a dedicated mono signal. The reason there is two inputs is in the case where the user is using the sub on a two channel music setup. You can use a "Y" splitter at the sub but it wont really make any audible difference.

Home theater:

Living room system:

Old 10-23-09, 03:43 PM   #19
Shackster

TheBuzzer
I started this thread.

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
No, it is not necessary, The signal from the receiver is a dedicated mono signal. The reason there is two inputs is in the case where the user is using the sub on a two channel music setup. You can use a "Y" splitter at the sub but it wont really make any audible difference.
k thanks, I ordered the svs complete system, receiver, and need to get the cables.

I really hope I made a smart buy and really hope I could hear a difference from this compared to a all in one kit. Shipping cost 200+ dollars from svs :/

Monoprice I can pick up and the receiver had free shipping .

Old 10-23-09, 03:53 PM   #20
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
My System

Oh dont worry you will have a fantastic system! For the price you payed for all of these there is nothing that can come close. You will be the envy of the neighborhood.

Home theater:

Living room system:

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater System Recommendations »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »