Proper TV size for room? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater System Recommendations
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 9458 - Replies: 13  
Old 03-22-10, 04:21 PM   #1
Shackster

sgtwarpig
Since: Mar 2010
Chicago
I started this thread.
Proper TV size for room?

The room size is 18 x 13. Viewing distance would be closest 8 ft farthest around 18 ft.

Thanks

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-10, 05:14 PM   #2
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Since: Jul 2009
Siesta Key, Florida
Re: Proper TV size for room?

Hello,
Welcome to HomeTheaterShack. The most important question I have in terms of Screen Size is how far away are the primary seating positions going to be. If your main position is 8 feet, you can get away with a much smaller Display, but if closer to 12-15 feet you will need a much bigger Display for the best HT experience.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer) Martin Logan Depth (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93, OPPO BDP-83 Pioneer BDP-05FD, Pioneer BDP-51FD, OPPO DV-980H, Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS3 60 gb, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910

Old 03-22-10, 06:26 PM   #3
Shackster

sgtwarpig
Chicago
I started this thread.

The main seating postitions will be between 8ft and around 12ft I want to get one big enough to cover both seating positions I was told it better to get something too big then too small. I have read between 50 and 55 inches

Old 03-22-10, 06:47 PM   #4
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Siesta Key, Florida

Hello,
I would actually recommend 60" or larger. Especially if the 12ft Seating Position is going to be a Primary one. What is the budget you are thinking for this?

THX recommends much larger than most people can possible accommodate or afford for the best HT experience. They recommend a 60" Display for no further than 8-9 feet away.
Here is THX's link:http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...r/hdtv-set-up/

With 3D Capable Panels about to hit the Market, it is actually a great time to get a 2D Panel if 3D is not something you are interested in. There are some great deals on 60-63" Plasma's right now.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer) Martin Logan Depth (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93, OPPO BDP-83 Pioneer BDP-05FD, Pioneer BDP-51FD, OPPO DV-980H, Panasonic DMP-BDT220

Old 03-22-10, 07:59 PM   #5

Evan
Since: Feb 2010
California

Widthwise subtended angle formed at left & right screen edges at viewer's head for the largest image should be:

30 degrees for standard definition
35 degrees for high definintion from cable or satellite
40 degrees for high definition from BluRay

Screen should produce between 16 - 25 Foot Lambert of brightness. That is total (calibrated) projector lumens of light divided by the square footage of image area. Less than 16 looks dull. More than 25 causes visible flicker from frame rate.

You should look upward no more than 15 deg. from a horizontal line to the height-center of video image.

You should have clear sight lines over heads of multiple rows.

Image should be located at least 8" down from the ceiling plane or it just looks lame (not a tech item here).

For such a wide range of distances you could consider using a masking screen with mulitple stops and a zooming projector. But projector will be expensive for one that returns to motorized zooms! Then you can resize image based on what rows are populated.

Old 03-22-10, 08:17 PM   #6
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Siesta Key, Florida

Hello,
Evan, excellent info. However, I do not believe this is an application where a Front Projector is in the cards. My first impulse was to recommend a PJ, but it sounds like he is looking for a TV.
Cheers,
JJ

HT

Old 03-22-10, 09:17 PM   #7
Senior Shackster

Stew
Since: May 2009

If you're looking for a TV (and not a projector), I wouldn't go smaller than the 82" Mits DLP.

Old 03-22-10, 09:26 PM   #8
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Siesta Key, Florida

Hello,
That is a good call Spartan Stew. If people can get past the form factor and not being able to hang on the Wall, RPTV's offer unbeatable values in large screen sizes. I use one myself and could not be happier. I really wish Sony would have kept making SXRD RPTV's. I absolutely love mine.
Cheers,
JJ

HT

Old 03-22-10, 09:50 PM   #9
Shackster

sgtwarpig
Chicago
I started this thread.

Thanks for all the responses but I must admit most went right over my head. Actually I have a rectangular living room the seating is along the sides so actually there are no seats where they should be in the middle of the room for optimum home theatre sound. My main concern about going too big would be and I am sure I am wrong is that in the 8 foot range if the TV is too big would it be almost like sitting in the front rows of a theater? I was thinking of getting an LED just because its the newest and probably within my budget. Was thinking about spending somewhere in the area of 2000.00 for the TV and really would like to hang it on the wall. Its my understanding that DLP TVs are a type of projection TV and are on a pedestal. I am sure I will be barraged once again but please keep it in layman's terms I am on the low end of the home theater spectrum.

thanks

Old 03-22-10, 11:09 PM   #10
Elite Shackster

Tony
Since: Nov 2009
Chicago
My System

I will just offer you some scale here in term of size, the room that I use currently for HT is way smaller than yours 14'x7' and I have a 46" Toshiba lcd main seating is about 5'-6' feet away. Now if you are using a TV that can do 1080p the closer you can sit, for your room if it was me I would do 55"-65" screen for your room,also are you looking to buy online or locally?

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater System Recommendations »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »