Are soundbars worth the money? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 12 Old 04-19-10, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Are soundbars worth the money?

I'm thinking of getting a soundbar for my bedroom for the simplicity, does anyone have experience with them? Are they have way decent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-19-10, 11:45 PM
Banned!

Re: Are soundbars worth the money?

Quote:
dannieboiz wrote: View Post
I'm thinking of getting a soundbar for my bedroom for the simplicity, does anyone have experience with them? Are they have way decent?
I don't have any experience of them but Yamaha are supposed to be the best ones to use, and also gets the best feedback.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-19-10, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Maybe I should go demo one or even buy one and test it out. If they suck I'll return it. Thanks for the response.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-19-10, 11:47 PM
Banned!

Here's a whole thread answering (or trying to answer) the question you pose: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...nd-system.html
post #5 of 12 Old 04-21-10, 07:49 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I definitely think auditioning a Soundbar is the way to go. Let us know what you think.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #6 of 12 Old 04-21-10, 11:54 PM
Banned!

I have never heard a soundbar in action although I know it will never replace the real thing, but it would be nice to be surprised if it perform as it says on the tin
post #7 of 12 Old 04-22-10, 12:53 PM
Senior Shackster

Toby

If you are looking for the ultimate "all-in-one" soundbar system the Yamaha YHT-S400 is a great solution. It features a slim sound bar to fit in those tight spaces under your flat panel television and the subwoofer is combined in the receiver/amplifier unit! I was skeptical for a while but judging by the reviews, people seem very satisfied. I think this was a very clever move for Yamaha.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-22-10, 01:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Another option for people interested in sound bars is something like a Budget AVR (which offers improved connectivity) and the go 3.1 by using something like the MA RoneHD and add in a sub somewhere you can fit it. Not quite as compact as just a sound bar, but improves sq and wont take up that much more room as well as increasing option in the system.

Jut something else to throw in the mix, and you could even add surrounds at a later date if you wanted that way, again choosing very compact speakers and wall mounting them.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-24-10, 08:18 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

I have a soundbar in my bedroom. I did it for aesthetic reasons and lack of space. I don't watch a ton of TV or movies in there, but when I do, the soundbar is very adequate. I also have a set of surrounds in the ceiling which I don't have hooked up yet. The sound bar could use a subwoofer too, but just one more thing on my list to do. I think the bar looks cool and has great sound.

matteo
post #10 of 12 Old 04-25-10, 04:53 AM
Banned!

For bedroom set ups and people who are very minimalistic they are the perfect choice apart from in walls, but that includes running cabling through walls, the new Pioneer Soundbar even has bluetooth for it's connection to the sub so no cables required, pretty cool in fact, I did hear it in the shop and it did not sound too bad at all !