New to the Game - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 12 Old 05-05-10, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
New to the Game

Hey Gang,

Let me briefly explain how I got here. My Wife came up with a great idea to buy me/us some speakers to compliment our newer Sammy 46” plasma (720p) located upstairs in our standard living area. She is a smart and sweet lady. Knowing how I can be in situations like this she showed me what she was intending to purchase before actually buying it (she’s starting to catch on). Well, it’s clear that see pays attention to what the general public thinks about audio and home theater equipment. She was looking to buy me the BOSE Cinemate III. I immediately told her that we could spend our money else ware and in turn get a better product.

So at 600 bones for the BOSE stuff she was going to buy, I am looking for some suggestions on speakers. I am only looking at a smaller towers or bookshelves with a stand. Like many others situations, she is concerned about bulkiness and it has to look nice. I have an Onkyo TX-SR573 to power the speakers. I know nothing impressive but will need to work for now. I would like to upgrade it too soon so I can utilize HDMI for all of my components (PS3, HD Cable Box, and Plasma TV)

Now, yesterday I did go to a local store and listen to a pair of Klipsch RF-52’s and the RB-51’s. They are in my price range and it was a local store. Both were very crisp and seem to carry the highs really well. However, that is the first sets that I have been able to listen to in this price range. Is there a general opinion on the RF-5 of speaker?

I also notice many of you pushing the SVS line of speakers. How would those compare to the Klipsch’s I listen to? It’s a real disadvantage that I can’t listen to those before purchasing…

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 12 Old 05-05-10, 03:15 PM
Elite Shackster
My System
Re: New to the Game

Hey Mike, The Klipsch's are a nice speaker and for the money are a good buy. SVS in my opinion makes a fantastic speaker and because your not paying a middleman you get a better product for the same money. Their speakers design uses top quality drivers, crossovers and tweeters and are a decent size bookshelf assuming your talking about the SBS-01s.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 12 Old 05-05-10, 04:49 PM
Elite Shackster

Klipsch's, by virtue of being a Horn Loaded Design, are far more efficient than most Speakers on the market. That is they will play louder with less AVR or Amplifier power than conventional Speakers.

That being said, some find the Klipsch's to be too upfront in its presentation. However, there are many fans of Klipsch. If they sound good to you, they really offer a great deal. Especially if not using a very powerful AVR.

I do think SVS makes excellent Speakers. Especially for the money. Much of this is owed to them being Internet Direct. However, they have been Professionally Reviewed and Bench Tested to great acclaim.
They are not nearly as efficient as the Klipsch's are, but some find them to have a smoother treble or top end. I would definitely advocate an AVR with a decent Amplifier Section if going with the SVS's.

Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #4 of 12 Old 05-05-10, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback! I do appreciate your input.

On my way home I talked a store owner that was in the process of changing locations so he had nothing for me to listen to. However, he did proceed to tell me about a set of Paradigm Monitor 9 towers. Bummer is I can’t go listen to them.

After getting home from work, the wife and I stopped at another local Hi-Fi stereo shop. While there I listen to a pair of Monitor Audio BR5’s. All I can say is WOW! I enjoyed that immensely. I think the price was round $620 out the door. I found those sounding much better than the Kilpsch RF-52’s

Question is will my Onkyo TX-SR573 be sufficiently power these speakers and produce the quality sound I was hearing at the store?

I have shown my wife the SVS speakers online, but she is not convinced that spending that much money online is the right thing to do, not being able to listen. It’s actually her money we are spending; it’s a b-day gift.

I have goose bumps after listening to those BR5’s!

post #5 of 12 Old 05-05-10, 05:59 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

The 573 will be okay.

Frequency Response +/- 3dB: 36 Hz - 30 KHz

Sensitivity (1W@1M): 90 dB

Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms

Power Handling (RMS): 120 W

Recommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS): 30 - 120 W

Cabinet Design: Dual chamber bass reflex – Ported front and rear Drive Unit Complement: 1 x 5.5" MMP®II Bass 1 x 5.5" MMP®II Bass mid-range, 1 x 1" (25 mm) gold dome C-CAM® tweeter External

(H x W x D) 850 x 165 x 247 mm
33 7/16 x 6 1/2 x 9 3/4 inch

Weight (Individual): 11.5 Kg (25.3 lb)

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #6 of 12 Old 05-06-10, 05:41 AM

The guys here gave you some good advice.

Remember that an A/V receiver is really a switch - an audio/video traffic cop that sends sound to the speakers and picture to the TV. It's the "brain" of the system.

Easiest and best connection:

By using the HDMI pipeline you can simplify the number of wires you need to connect everything. The HDMI pipeline sends sound and picture down the same wire rather than running seperate "sound" wires and "picture" wires. This is the best and easiest pathway for HD cable, Bluray etc...

Once you've landed on the receiver that fits your needs and budget- ask yourself - who is going to be using this system? You're going to need a remote for: The cable/sat box, the TV, the receiver, the Bluray and whatever else you've got hooked up. Each time you want to watch/listen to a different source you're going to have to switch inputs . Are others in the house willing/able to do this? You may consider a universal remote for ease of operation.

Last edited by JBL Fan; 05-06-10 at 05:54 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-07-10, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Again, I greatly appreciate your expert advice...

I am still on my quest for new speakers. With my current receiver specifications listed below, should I be looking at 6Ω or 8Ω rated speakers. Also how do these numbers relate back to performance (in simple terms please)

The Monitor Audio BR5's are rated at 6Ω, does that mean the RX would be delivering 100W in the stereo mode? Inversely, if I purchase a 8Ω rated speaker, does that mean the RX would be delivering 75W in Stereo mode? Sorry for the silly questions, but I can't seem to get my arms around all of the specs...

Power Output
2 channels driven: 75 W + 75 W (8Ω, 20 Hz–20 kHz, FTC)
100 W + 100 W (6Ω, 1 kHz, FTC)

Dynamic Power: 180 W + 180 W (3Ω, Front)
140 W + 140 W (4Ω, Front)
95 W + 95 W (8Ω, Front)

THD (Total HarmonicDistortion): 0.08% (Power Rated)

Damping Factor: 60 (Front, 1 kHz, 8Ω)

Input Sensitivity and Impedance: 200 mV/ 47 kΩ (LINE)

Output Level and Impedance: 200 mV/ 470Ω(REC OUT)

Frequency Response: 10 Hz–100 kHz/ +1 dB, –3 dB (Direct mode)

Tone Control: ±10 dB, 50 Hz (BASS)
±10 dB, 20 kHz (TREBLE)

Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 dB (LINE, IHF-A)

Speaker Impedance: 6Ω–
post #8 of 12 Old 05-07-10, 09:22 AM
Elite Shackster

Get the speakers that sound best to you and don't worry so much about their impedance, it is an insignificant issue. That receiver has enough power to drive the Monitor Audio BR5s to satisifying levels.

It is likely that receiver will deliver something between 75 and 100 watts per channel into 6 Ohms at 20Hz-20kHz and 0.08% THD. Notice the 8 Ohm rating is at 20Hz-20kHz and the 6 Ohm rating is at 1kHz; the amplifier has to work harder to deliver the full human audible spectrum than just a 1kHz tone.

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, iTunes/BitPerfect
MacBook Air SuperDrive
Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD
Schiit Bifrost USB DAC
Emotiva ERC-1, USP-1 and 2 x UPA-1
Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa
Grado SR80i
Magnepan MMG Magnestand
Rythmik Audio F12
post #9 of 12 Old 05-11-10, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Well, I hit a HUGE road block last night...

After much deliberation, I was ready to walk out the door to purchase the Monitor Audio BR6’s. I made the decision to upgrade to the 6’s over the 5’s, with the intention of eventually upgrading my RX (TX-SR573) soon. At that point I thought to myself, “Self, you better measure the RX depth and compare it to the TV stand”. HECK… it was too shallow. Now I am in a position where becoming very creative is a necessity. I snapped some pics this morning of the area. I have a towel closet just behind/around the corner from the TV that has great potential. I know that putting the some of the components in an “AV closet” isn’t new or odd, but it does lead me to a few questions.

How do you manage the settings and control of the RX when it’s located in a non-viewable environment?

I think you can buy a gadget that will allow the use of a remote control while the source is in a different location. IR diverter, if you will. Where can I get one of those?

Do any of the newer RX’s utilize On Screen Display (OSD), and would this feature be helpful in displaying the different RX’s modes or settings?

How long is too long when it comes to cables? At this point I am going to be forced to use RGB or component cables and optical cables. As mentioned above, I would like to upgrade to HDMI soon in the way of a new RX.

post #10 of 12 Old 05-11-10, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Opps, I forgot my pictures... With the first picture you can see the hallway on the right. As you enter the hallway, immediately on the left is the closet. The wall behind the TV is the same wall that is on the inside of the closet… Make sense?

Read more: Home Theater Forum and Systems - - Reply to Topic
New to the Game-tv-area-001.jpg

New to the Game-tv-area-003.jpg

New to the Game-tv-area-004.jpg

New to the Game-tv-area-002.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page