No room for center speaker - options? Thx! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #11 of 27 Old 06-26-10, 02:53 PM
Elite Shackster
Re: No room for center speaker - options? Thx!

Matteo wrote: View Post
I agree with all of the above, but I wanted to throw a FYI into the mix for informational purposes. I listened in on a Sherwood Newcastle R-972 demonstration and one of the features is that you can move your "center" of sound to where you like. In the demonstration, they had a typical setup with front, center on the mantel, and right speakers. The TV wasn't able to be put on the mantle, for demonstration purposes, so they placed the TV in the corner, near the right speaker. After setup, the sound adjusted and it really did a good job of shifting all the speakers so you still had sound from left/right/center but it was all centered on the TV. Just a heads up in case someone ever had a situation where they needed something like this. It really was pretty cool. It was done by aiming the microphone in the direction you wanted to center channel to shift to.
Just information. Your phantom speaker setup will work great.

Indeed. The Trinnov EQ in the R-972 really is impressive. Trinnov EQ's used to be almost solely in the hands of Movie Studio's and the like. And the prices for the standalone Trinnov EQ's were in the tens of thousands of Dollars. Now it is available scaled down on an IC. Great news. Everything I have read about Trinnov has been quite impressive.

Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 27 Old 06-26-10, 04:46 PM
Senior Shackster

hi! is it not possible to mount the Ctr speaker on top of the display panel angled towards your listening position? or other option is reposition your sitting arrangment not facing the fireplace so get place to put your center speaker...
post #13 of 27 Old 06-27-10, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the replies and info. I think the only way I could arrange for a center speaker above the fireplace would be to use in-wall or in-ceiling speakers firing downward from above the TV. There is a chimney pipe that I have to worry about, among other considerations, so at this point I feel good about going with a phantom center. However, maybe I will consider putting speaker wire in place behind the wall in case I ever change my mind . . .

I also think I may seriously consider wiring the room for another TV location just in case, or at least put some wires in a conduit. Does that sound like a good idea?

The next big issue is wiring the house while everything is open during the renovation. I have been reading about wiring here and other places and my head is spinning a bit., I only have a few days to figure this out, so I think I'll be posting a few questions in the other forum and I hope you guys will respond there as well.

Thanks again, Mike
post #14 of 27 Old 06-27-10, 11:02 AM

If the walls are open, I'd definitely wire a 2nd location. Different strokes for different folks, but I'd never settle for a TV above a fireplace. I'd board up the fireplace before that happened.
post #15 of 27 Old 06-27-10, 03:10 PM
Elite Shackster

I'd take out the fire place, but we are in Texas and I still don't understand why we have fireplaces.
post #16 of 27 Old 06-27-10, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

The fireplace in question is in our new family room that we're renovating. We removed a back staircase between the kitchen and attached garage and are making the garage into our family room. My wife really wants to include a gas fireplace, so we are. She wants it for extra warmth in the colder months. I was, however, able to prevail on the issue of vented vs. ventless. We had a ventless gas fireplace before, and I never liked that the place always smelled like we had our kitchen burners on high. Also, I'm sure we were sucking all of the oxygen out of the house.

In any event, I'm already a bit worried (1) that the TV placement above the fireplace will be too high, (2) that it will interfere with the ability to configure seating, since the TV will stick a foot or more into the room, and the viewing area is across the narrow part of the room, and (3) that the heat will be a problem.

What are the main critiques other folks have about locating TVs above the fireplace? Same or similar as above?

Thx, Mike
post #17 of 27 Old 06-28-10, 10:44 AM

#1 critique is one often cited and if your TV is too high, you sound is likely too high, or disjointed from the video. Spend two hour staring at the place where you TV would be. Odds are, you're going to get a stiff neck.
post #18 of 27 Old 06-28-10, 12:30 PM
Joe Gaydosh

Does the TV absolutely have to be in the same location as the fireplace? You can usually have the fireplace on one wall with the TV on another, with no conflicts...

Joseph Gaydosh
First Run Home Cinema
post #19 of 27 Old 06-28-10, 01:04 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

I have not seen anyone suggest this so I will throw it out there. I know it not matching speakers however it may be possible to use the displays speakers as the center channel. All you would need to do is use the receivers center pre out and put a splitter on it and send the signal to the left and right input on the display.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #20 of 27 Old 06-28-10, 02:38 PM

As flat panel television get thinner, so do the speakers in them. I haven't heard built in speakers that I would trust dialog to since the days of CRT Rear Projection, and there's a reason why soundbars are all the rage these days. Phantom Center might not give you pinpoint positioning, but the overall quality of sound will more than make up for it.

center , options? , room , speaker , thx!

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page