No room for center speaker - options? Thx! - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #21 of 27 Old 06-28-10, 02:49 PM
Elite Shackster
My System
Re: No room for center speaker - options? Thx!

eugovector wrote: View Post
Phantom Center might not give you pinpoint positioning, but the overall quality of sound will more than make up for it.
Agreed I think thats really the only option left.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
post #22 of 27 Old 06-30-10, 12:57 PM
Senior Shackster

Phantom Center is OK, but a center channel speaker helps a lot. Don't give up entirely on looking for ways to put a center speaker just above or below your TV. Maybe you could have the center on a stand on the floor beside your TV and pull it in front of your fireplace when you turn off the lights and want the sound to be at its best. Or, if only you could mount it above your TV pointing toward the listeners and have it not look too bad. Or, as you noted, maybe move the TV.

It would need to be a speaker that matches or is close to a match of your L and R main speakers, but apparently you have that in your AV123 set. I agree with all the other posters here who say phantom center is preferable to something mounted in your ceiling. I used a phantom center for some months when I didn't have a center speaker good enough to match my new mains, but boy do I like it better now that I built one.

Last edited by Trick McKaha; 06-30-10 at 01:06 PM.
post #23 of 27 Old 06-30-10, 01:16 PM
Elite Shackster

Not trying to thread-steal, but I'm a bit perplexed on how to achieve a nice 'line of sight' for a center channel when using a larger tv or projection screen for multiple row seating. Must one mount a speaker at the ceiling/wall above the screen? If a center channel is mounted below the screen, then it would seem to be ideal for the front row for imaging and sound, however, the rear row can't even see it, so therefore those listeners must be at a disadvantage sound-wise, no?
post #24 of 27 Old 06-30-10, 01:20 PM

With 2 rows, You'll need to go above the screen for best sound with the 2nd row, but try to keep it out of the point where the wall meet the ceiling, if at all possible. Angle it down as well.
post #25 of 27 Old 06-30-10, 05:59 PM
Senior Shackster

I have an old TV above our fireplace, built into it, with nice finished wood doors to cover it up when we are not using it. It is high, about 7", and only about 36". I never watch TV on this unless I am just turning on the news while cooking or something. My kids use it all the time and don't seem to mind it, and my father-in-law watches sports while waiting for dinner. The fireplace is gas, and the duct runs out of the wall to the outside, below the TV, so heat isn't really a problem. It never seems to get very hot. I only listen to the built in speakers on the TV. I do have the room wired for speakers on that wall, and another wall in case I ever change my setup, and also in the ceiling, in case I choose that option. I could use a soundbar on the mantle, but the wife doesn't like the looks of that and since I don't use the TV much, I don't care to argue.
Not sure of my point. I wouldn't want to use this as my main TV. I have seen many TV's on mantle's that seem okay to me, but not great. I would definitely wire a few options into the room, you just never know. In-ceilings are getting better, but good ones cost some $$$.
If it were me, I'd say wire for everything, try the phantom and see how you like it, and keep the in-ceiling in mind. It sounds like you can't change the location of it, or don't want to, so you are limited in options. Good luck.

post #26 of 27 Old 06-30-10, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I am definitely going to wire for at least one other location option in the room. Also, I'm having my contractor finish the area above the fireplace with woodwork panels that match the house and will allow me to unmount and move the TV and then cover the wiring/mounting location with the center woodwork paneled square. I appreciate the input.
post #27 of 27 Old 07-13-10, 12:14 PM
Senior Shackster

Hey Music fan. Here is a good idea I just remembered...
You wire the center channel to each of the left/right and I believe it gives you a monoaural sound, basically splitting the center channel exactly and increasing the chance you will get a good center response. I know you can find some at a descent price (under $800/pair new) if not, let me know and I can give you some ideas. I think they retail for over $1000. Just a thought. You might look on ebay as well.

center , options? , room , speaker , thx!

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page