First ever theater build! Feedback needed! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 34 Old 10-30-10, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: First ever theater build! Feedback needed!

Quote:
nholmes1 wrote: View Post
Sounds like re-inventing the wheel as far as control goes, there are a few options out there for controlling MCE such as Autonomic Home Controls, MCE Controller, Crestron SMW, and I believe control4 also has an option

Or why not just enable concurrent session on Windows 7 as its the best permeation of Windows Media Center yet and that would give you full acceleration of GUI which MCE needs to look right, even on a LAN VNC isnt the snappiest interface.

Let me take a stab and say you were the IT guy for this client and he asked? Nothing wrong with it as thats kind of how I got my start in the CE industry but there are alot of things that are different with CE versus IT. People expect problems with computers, but they also expect the TV to just work. Expectation level is the hardest thing to manage.
I'm opened to talking to you more about what you suggested above. Feel free to PM me your ideas on how to control the projector, A/V receiver and Media center from the computer i'd love to hear you're ideas on that matter if you are willing to share.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 Old 10-30-10, 04:44 PM
Senior Shackster

Here is a good screen option from a forum advertiser/sponsor

http://www.elitescreens.com/index.ph...mid=19&lang=en
post #13 of 34 Old 10-30-10, 04:48 PM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

A few things

-I'd spring for the M22s over the M3s. For a dedicated theater I'd personally go Seaton, RBH, or JTR though :P
-I'd consider two subs, the rythmik is an excellent choice though!
-Seymour AV makes some of the best A/T projection screens
-any reason for an LED over a plasma? It sounds like a dedicated, dim room!
-budget in tons of sound treatment - at reflection points and corners especially! Underneath raised seating is always a nice spot as well.
-SR7005 is nice, but how about an AV7005 paired with an EMotiva UPA-7!

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-30-10 at 04:56 PM.
post #14 of 34 Old 10-30-10, 04:52 PM
Inactive
Ty

Quote:
StealthRT wrote: View Post
I'm mainly look at the Lumens output of the projectors as i am told that its the most important part of finding a projector to meet your rooms needs. The higher the Lumens, the better the chances are that, even with a some-what dark room, you will still get a great picture.

Having said that, the JVC is only 900 and the 800? And also the contrast is 50000:1/120000:1 respectively compared to the 1600/200000:1 of the PowerLite Home Cinema 8700 UB?

David
Have you asked the client if they understand the principles behind a front projection system? Unless you spend big money on a screen that rejects ambient light in the room the lack of image brightness will be an issue in any room thats illuminated, regardless of the listed brightness of your projector of choice. While its true that your LCD choice will be brighter, its also true that it will pale in contrast and black level performance in comparison to a D-ILA or LCOS based tech. Also, assuming they close doors, the room you show in the pictures will be easy to control light in, from what I see theres only one window. BTW, take manufactures published performance numbers with a grain of salt, read REVIEWS instead.
post #15 of 34 Old 10-30-10, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
nholmes1 wrote: View Post
Here is a good screen option from a forum advertiser/sponsor

http://www.elitescreens.com/index.ph...mid=19&lang=en
That is a pretty good looking screen. However, i am confused as to which i should get:
CineWhite
CineGray
PowerGain

And does it fix the "known problem" with the blacks being AT (or whatever the problem is with first gen AT screens bleeding through too much or whatnot)?

David
post #16 of 34 Old 10-30-10, 05:07 PM
Senior Shackster

Why not do a separate box that is entirely for control? I'm not a big fan of trying to do everything with the PC as it never seems to work out perfectly, not that it can't just past experiences with homebrew thru 10K+ Media servers from Inteset and others have proven its not reliable enough for me to put it in a customers house. Then again thats why they pay me so well because my systems do work...

There are ways like Charmed Quark that turn the PC into full fledged automation platform or LifeWare as well.

Send me a PM with any questions you have but keeping it out in the open forum may help others later
post #17 of 34 Old 10-30-10, 05:13 PM
Senior Shackster

"Sound transparent models with AcousticPro1080 also available" thats from the page I posted, and you are talking about Moire problems which with most recent screens shouldn't be a problem but I haven't seen it in person so I can't confirm.
post #18 of 34 Old 10-30-10, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
GranteedEV wrote: View Post
A few things

-I'd spring for the M22s over the M3s. For a dedicated theater I'd personally go Seaton, RBH, or JTR though :P
-I'd consider two subs, the rythmik is an excellent choice though!
-Seymour AV makes some of the best A/T projection screens
-any reason for an LED over a plasma? It sounds like a dedicated, dim room!
-budget in tons of sound treatment - at reflection points and corners especially! Underneath raised seating is always a nice spot as well.
-SR7005 is nice, but how about an AV7005 paired with an EMotiva UPA-7!
The AV7005 does look nice... but those speaker connections on it scare me I dont know how those 3-prong connectors hook up as i never used anything like that before (although they do look like the type a guitar amp would have, etc). The speakers i have listed do not have any type of connection like that so how would those connect up? Or does the EMotiva UPA-7 convert those into standard +/- connections? I'm new to this type of connection

Yes, i thing going with 2 rythmik subs would be a way to even up the whole field . One in the corner and the other to the right of the TV.

The reason why i choose the M3's over the M22s is, one they are newer and two they are on-wall. Sorry, i think i need to correct my OP to say on-wall.

Wow! those Seymour AV screen do look nice. But what are the prices on the 120???

The LED will last a million times longer than a plasma. It also has a better picture (color and contrasts (in my opionion)) than a plasma has. Oh, most importantly, its skinny as ! Only problem with that LG screen is that i am hearing mixed reviews on the RS232 port being a "service only" and not "communcations" port

David
post #19 of 34 Old 10-30-10, 05:23 PM
Inactive
Ty

Yes, thats definitely your opinion. However most everyone else considers plasma superior to LCD in picture quality, and in every way except maybe brightness. Life span will be fine for most, except those that keep their tv for 20 years. Much more skinny, yeah, got me there, LCD wins
post #20 of 34 Old 10-30-10, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
TypeA wrote: View Post
Have you asked the client if they understand the principles behind a front projection system? Unless you spend big money on a screen that rejects ambient light in the room the lack of image brightness will be an issue in any room thats illuminated, regardless of the listed brightness of your projector of choice. While its true that your LCD choice will be brighter, its also true that it will pale in contrast and black level performance in comparison to a D-ILA or LCOS based tech. Also, assuming they close doors, the room you show in the pictures will be easy to control light in, from what I see theres only one window. BTW, take manufactures published performance numbers with a grain of salt, read REVIEWS instead.
Alright. I think i will change to the JVC DLA-RS25U as it seems to be THX certified so i know it HAS to look great in picture quality to have a stamp like that.

David