Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Home Theater In A Box or Buy Speakers and Receiver Seperately

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  gdstupak 
#1 ·
I was looking at getting the Onkyo HT-S9300THX and I was wondering if you all thought this was a good buy. I found it for $779 on a few sites.

I was going to put the link for easy access but I can't because I am new to the forum, sorry.

If you don't think this is a good choice could you direct me to another theater in a box or a set of speakers and receiver to put together to make a set. I don't want to spend to much more then $800. I want something that is a step above the basics but definitely not ready to do anything crazy like buy the Klipsch Palladium P-39F Home Theater System, haha.

Thanks for your time

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S9300THX&class=Systems&p=i

Edit: Link added.

Mike P.

#4 ·
I agree that separates is a better route but for $800 your not going to get a full system like the Onkyo offers and the quality is actually quite good.

#6 ·
The other consideration is to start with an excellent 2.0 or 2.1 system then add surrounds and a center and a sub as funds allow.

#7 ·
yes! I agree to everyone's suggestions to go separate amp and speakers or 2.1 for starter. + Sub will do the job for now then add center for better movies viewing. Then get later get a FS to complete the set-up. but first have a complete 5 speakers in the list so you'll have same brand all around and sub can any that suits your requirement and ofcourse pocket... :bigsmile:

#8 ·
I have had a really good experience with having a home theater in a box as a starter system. I bought a yamaha system very similar to that several years ago. Now that I am building a dedicated room, the HTIB system will gladly surve the needs of my livingroom and I'll buy a much better system for the dedicated room. I'll tell you the one place that onkyo and my yamaha system fall short. The subwoofer! I remember specifically watching the last superman movie when the planet exploded in the beginning and I was SOOO let down by the anemic response. I built a DIY sub and that went a VERY long way to making my HTIB sound and perform like a much more expensive setup.

So my recommendation is... buy this HTIB and upgrade the sub ASAP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.