Is an Oppo BR worth the money? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater System Recommendations
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 5086 - Replies: 41  
Old 03-01-12, 08:57 AM   #1
Senior Shackster

Scott
Since: Dec 2011
Troy Al
My System
I started this thread.
Is an Oppo BR worth the money?

What are the advantages to the Oppo player and is it worth spending the money to buy one? Is it sound quality?Picture? I want one I'm just trying to justify the reasoning in my head.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-12, 10:23 AM   #2
SAC
Banned!

SAC
Since: Dec 2009
CST
Re: Is an Oppo BR worth the money?

Many like them.

That said, if you primary use is solely for the Blu-Ray (and possibly streaming) capability, the only platform that has been able to be updated through the multiple version mods without having to buy a new unit has been the PS3.

So if this is you primary concern and you don't need features like multi-format (SACD, DVD-Audio, etc.), readability, the PS3 just may be the best ROI as a suitable 'Blu-Ray player with additional features'.

Old 03-01-12, 10:31 AM   #3
Senior Shackster

Scott
Troy Al
My System
I started this thread.

And it offers gaming as well....it may be the right choice...so my picture and sound quality will not be any diffrent

Old 03-01-12, 11:04 AM   #4
Senior Shackster

koyaan
Since: Mar 2010
Sanford , NC
My System

If your intrested in analog audio quality, I think th Oppo is certainly worth the cost. For video and digital audio, the Oppo is as good as any, but not haed and shoulders above cheaper units as I see it.

Old 03-01-12, 12:14 PM   #5
Elite Shackster

Mike
Since: Nov 2007
San Dimas, CA
My System

The PS3 is a great BD player but if your not much of a gamer I would rather have the Oppo. I started off with a PS3 but when Oppo released the BDP-83 I found I used it a lot more than the PS3 so I eventually sold the PS3 and have never regretted it. The Xbox is a better gaming machine than the PS3 IMO and Kinect kills the ice cream cone you have to use with the PS3 so it's a much better social gaming machine.

Old 03-01-12, 12:21 PM   #6
Elite Shackster

Mike
Since: Nov 2007
San Dimas, CA
My System

As far as other BD players I have a Panasonic BD player in my second system which is only about 6 months old. I have run into 2 BD's that had trouble running on the Panasonic in the short time I have had it but ran perfectly on the older Oppo 83. My Oppo is one of the beta BDP-83's that I got a few weeks prior to it's release to the general public and in that time I think I have only had about 2 BD's that I had trouble with.

Oppo make such good BD players that company's like Ayre acoustics, Theta, Lexicon and I think nearly every high end mfg uses as a platform for there own BD player. Lexicon didn't even bother to change anything on the Oppo 83 other than the case, that's how good it is.

Old 03-01-12, 12:29 PM   #7
Senior Shackster

Scott
Troy Al
My System
I started this thread.

I am a gamer and use my xbox all the time I am torn between the oppo and the playstation now.....I do like the fact that i have the gaming ability if I want it....I play live almost every day on Xbox COD

Old 03-01-12, 12:31 PM   #8
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
Since: Sep 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My System

I think for the money the Oppo is the best out there. They are built like tanks and last. If I had the money I would also be an owner of one myself. That said I think Panasonic also makes a great player however it wont last as long as an oppo and Oppo still does regular firmware updates to all their players where any of the other brands stop after the next model year is released.
The PS3 is a gaming platform first and BluRay player second. It does not fit in an A/V rack very well and tends to be noisy. The remote control has to be purchased after the fact so the price starts to get close to what you would pay for an Oppo.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Old 03-01-12, 12:59 PM   #9
Senior Shackster

Scott
Troy Al
My System
I started this thread.

I agree with you on all points...I have a vizio br now and I like the internet apps that come with it...I would probaby keep it for that even if I buy the oppo

Old 03-01-12, 05:33 PM   #10
Inactive

Ty
Since: Aug 2010
Panama City Fl

I noticed a pretty big difference in color accuracy and sound quality going from a cheap samsung to an Oppo. Its also a better looking player and goes better with my other gear, which is all brushed aluminum. The initial disk spin-up is much quieter and the drive movement is of much greater quality. However the Oppo is slower to load and menus are more sluggish than my cheap samsung. Wouldnt be surprised if that changes over time as the firmware is tweaked.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater System Recommendations »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »