Best AV Receiver for Under $2,500 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 27 Old 04-27-13, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

MLGamer

Question Best AV Receiver for Under $2,500

All,

I have decided to upgrade my equipment and need your help. What is the best AV receiver I can buy for under $2,500? I have looked at the Marantz SR7007 and some others but have not come across any clear winners.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-27-13, 07:29 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Best AV Receiver for Under $2,500

$2500 is a really high budget.
The Denon 4520ci is getting some good reviews although some members on here and other sites have had some serious issues with it so not so sure.
The Onkyo 5009/5010 is an amazing receiver as well. It uses top of the line amps video processor and a toroidal power supply. Also has Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and sub EQ and THX Ultra2 Plus.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 27 Old 04-27-13, 07:33 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I bought the Denon 4520CI refurbished from AC4LESS. Its been great no problems so far.

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ter-build.html
post #4 of 27 Old 04-27-13, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

MLGamer

I was just reading up on the Denon 4520CI both on the Home Theater Shack website and via Google. It looks like a great choice. tonyvdb, I will also check out the Onkyo you recommended as well. Any other takers?
post #5 of 27 Old 04-27-13, 07:59 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

The Yamaha RX-A1020 would also be in the running.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 27 Old 04-27-13, 08:15 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
That's a great budget maybe if you can tell everyone what your previous one was and what you are looking to improve power wise and features that you must have they may have better suggestions and the savings could go to your next upgrade. You may want to mention the speakers you are using or would like to use in the future if you are looking to change them as well.
post #7 of 27 Old 04-27-13, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

MLGamer

Guys,

Thanks B-1. I am really excited about my speaker selection for my upgrade: B&W CM9(4), CM Centre 2 for the center channel and the ASW12CM subwoofer. I auditioned them today and was thoroughly impressed! It seems like a system that will last a good long time.
post #8 of 27 Old 04-27-13, 08:45 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
I use to have a denon 4800 back in the day it was a demo unit it lasted along time currently have an integra 40.3 has been great for the last couple of years both have had no issues and have worked for me I'm sure others with more knowledge will have great ideas to spend your money on glad you had fun listening to your future purchase.
post #9 of 27 Old 04-29-13, 11:18 AM
J&D
Senior Shackster

My System

You asked about AVR's and the Denon and Onkyo's are good suggestions but with your budget you are very close to separates territory. Have you ever thought of going the pre-pro route with outboard amps? A4L has the Marantz 8801 pre-pro refurbished for $2499. External amplification has become very reasonable with offerings from the likes of Emotiva and Outlaw. You can get 5 or 7 channels of very solid amplification for under a grand that will easily outperform even high end receivers.

The other option is to look for a lower end AVR with the features you need - say for around $1K or less and then just use the AVR as a pre-pro with external amps. This is my current configuration and it allows for a ton of flexibility, I never have to worry about what speakers I am powering and allows me to easily upgrade the AVR to a newer model while ignoring the power spec's.
post #10 of 27 Old 04-29-13, 01:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

Question? You are using a CM9 as a surround speaker? I am wonder because you have the (4) there.