Best AV Receiver for Under $2,500 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater System Recommendations
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 8981 - Replies: 20  
Old 04-27-13, 07:15 PM   #1
Senior Shackster

MLGamer
Since: Feb 2013
Hobbiton
I started this thread.
Question Best AV Receiver for Under $2,500

All,

I have decided to upgrade my equipment and need your help. What is the best AV receiver I can buy for under $2,500? I have looked at the Marantz SR7007 and some others but have not come across any clear winners.

Thanks!

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-13, 07:29 PM   #2
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
Since: Sep 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My System
Re: Best AV Receiver for Under $2,500

$2500 is a really high budget.
The Denon 4520ci is getting some good reviews although some members on here and other sites have had some serious issues with it so not so sure.
The Onkyo 5009/5010 is an amazing receiver as well. It uses top of the line amps video processor and a toroidal power supply. Also has Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and sub EQ and THX Ultra2 Plus.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Old 04-27-13, 07:33 PM   #3
Senior Shackster
Gold Supporter

Since: Mar 2012
Auburn, WA
My System

I bought the Denon 4520CI refurbished from AC4LESS. Its been great no problems so far.

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper.My Home Theater Buildhttp://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post591414

Old 04-27-13, 07:54 PM   #4
Senior Shackster

MLGamer
Hobbiton
I started this thread.

I was just reading up on the Denon 4520CI both on the Home Theater Shack website and via Google. It looks like a great choice. tonyvdb, I will also check out the Onkyo you recommended as well. Any other takers?

Old 04-27-13, 07:59 PM   #5
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
Since: Sep 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My System

The Yamaha RX-A1020 would also be in the running.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Old 04-27-13, 08:15 PM   #6
Elite Shackster

Brandon
Since: Jan 2013
My System

That's a great budget maybe if you can tell everyone what your previous one was and what you are looking to improve power wise and features that you must have they may have better suggestions and the savings could go to your next upgrade. You may want to mention the speakers you are using or would like to use in the future if you are looking to change them as well.

Old 04-27-13, 08:20 PM   #7
Senior Shackster

MLGamer
Hobbiton
I started this thread.

Guys,

Thanks B-1. I am really excited about my speaker selection for my upgrade: B&W CM9(4), CM Centre 2 for the center channel and the ASW12CM subwoofer. I auditioned them today and was thoroughly impressed! It seems like a system that will last a good long time.

Old 04-27-13, 08:45 PM   #8
Elite Shackster

Brandon
Since: Jan 2013
My System

I use to have a denon 4800 back in the day it was a demo unit it lasted along time currently have an integra 40.3 has been great for the last couple of years both have had no issues and have worked for me I'm sure others with more knowledge will have great ideas to spend your money on glad you had fun listening to your future purchase.

Old 04-29-13, 11:18 AM   #9
J&D
Senior Shackster

Since: Apr 2008
Western WI
My System

You asked about AVR's and the Denon and Onkyo's are good suggestions but with your budget you are very close to separates territory. Have you ever thought of going the pre-pro route with outboard amps? A4L has the Marantz 8801 pre-pro refurbished for $2499. External amplification has become very reasonable with offerings from the likes of Emotiva and Outlaw. You can get 5 or 7 channels of very solid amplification for under a grand that will easily outperform even high end receivers.

The other option is to look for a lower end AVR with the features you need - say for around $1K or less and then just use the AVR as a pre-pro with external amps. This is my current configuration and it allows for a ton of flexibility, I never have to worry about what speakers I am powering and allows me to easily upgrade the AVR to a newer model while ignoring the power spec's.

Old 04-29-13, 01:13 PM   #10
Elite Shackster

Andre
Since: Feb 2010
Edmonton
My System

Question? You are using a CM9 as a surround speaker? I am wonder because you have the (4) there.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater System Recommendations »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »