Hgoed's hoard - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 3 Old 02-26-11, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Hgoed's hoard

Although I think it's a bit unfair to those of us with no "stuff" I have to post here to qualify for the GIK giveaway, which I'm absolutely sure I'll win

Right now I have a computer with an ASUS Essence ST card running stereo to Sennheiser HD600 headphones and a Densen Beat B-100 amp running RA labs speakers. I used to be an audiophile addict, spending money that wasn't really mine and trying to compete with people far better equipped than I (one of which had an actual pipe organ installed in their music room), but I gave most of my stuff away a while back.

Now I want to build a sonically awesome HT system so my wife can see a little about what I spent so much time researching back before and in grad school.

Stay tuned for updates.

Last edited by hgoed; 02-26-11 at 10:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 05-07-11, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Re: Hgoed's hoard

OK...now I've got a Mitsubishi 73738 DLP rear projection. I like it. I bought it (revealing that I can be a bit of a crazy person) because it was deeper than a flat screen and that it had a less acoustically reflective front face, allowing me to build an absorptive frame around it and effectively have a sound neutral front wall.

I also have 20 full-range drivers (Mark Audio Alpair 10.2) for which I am trying to make cabinets...but until this point, I've mostly been making scrap wood. Each driver will be powered by it's own class-D amplifier. Nice thing about FR drivers, to me, is that I can add as many channels as I want, and add as much cone area (sound power) as I want and still basically have identical sound signature. I know there are compromises, but they're the ones I've chosen.

I still haven't decided how to feed the audio/video signal, as an HTPC gives me the most flexibility, but power consumption is a really high priority in my household paradigm.

LF sound will be delivered at this point by two subs, each with 2 CSS SDX-10 subs, powered by IcePower ASP1000 amps. The goal is about 35HZ because the tactile energy will be supplemented by BassKickers installed into my Berklines. I have no idea if this works to any degree of satisfaction, but I'm just fantasizing that it would be a decent starting point. If I need more energy, I've got my eye on the long-awaited SDX-15 MKII. I've ordered a MiniDSP for use as a subEQ, but if that is too much work, I may try an AntiMode.

Unfortunately I've fallen way behind schedule on my building because my fracking day job has gotten in the way.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-12-11, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Re: Hgoed's hoard

On order...Pioneer Elite SC-55.

For the source, I've gone back to using an HTPC. Actually a full PC, but with Sandy Bridge, I deactivate the external video card when I'm not goofing around with my kid-partner (who knew a 7 year old could be such a techno-geek--I put aside much of my HT build to make him a custom gaming area). The PC runs HDMI into a repeater in the basment (just below the computer room) then back up into the theater/living room. This will feed the SC-55 for video. No special HTPC software is used, 'cause I often have to work in the middle of a movie, so I just like to minimize, do my work thing, then get back to the show. I did try a Panasonic Blu-ray (BD210 or something like that) but I couldn't get any of my ripped MKV files to play from the USB hard drive, regardless of what way I tried to re-encode the files. That went back, which is a pity, because the video quality was great.

Audio will stream off of a NAS in the basement, straight to the receiver.

For control, right now I just use a wireless keyboard/mouse, but I plan on getting an android tablet once the Kal-el based ones become available. Then I'll control the whole house with that.

Speakers are still in progress as I set up a computer game room first . That room has 4 open baffle FR speakers (see above post for drivers) plus a sealed single SDX10 sub which is temporary as I'll be using the driver in the theater room, and it's a bit much for the small computer room anyway (that's an assumption, but I haven't tried that hard to make it work). Those speakers are run from my Xonar card with DIY class D amps. Plenty good enough for a computer room. The HT room will run 9 channels with backs and wides. I'll have to update how the backs and wides add to the experience, because I've never had a chance to critically evaluate the effect of this setup.

I'm going to go ahead with two dual-SDX10 sealed subs as well as a dual-SDX10 tapped horn (see thread in the CSS section). I need some more drivers (and some spare cash) for that, 'though.

Finally, I also plan on ordering an iNuke 1000 to power the buttkickers in my chairs. The power is right, and the purpose-made amps don't seem to be available anywhere. I'll probably move the amp out of it's case.

hgoed's , hoard

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page