Excessive IB: Help Wanted! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 24 Old 02-10-11, 12:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Jim

Re: Excessive IB: Help Wanted!

Quote:
Tom Grimes wrote: View Post
Does cutting it off there with the HPF get rid of the most high excursion frequencies? Which then enables a higher power handling and therefore increased output in the given frequency range? This is my understanding of the relationships involved at this point.
Yes, it should get rid of most of the high excursion frequencies...... It would allow some higher power handling.. Would need to model it to figure out how much tough. With IB, I'm not sure you'd gain THAT much.

I wouldn't want to rely on using a HPF to allow higher volumes / power handling though... I'd say if you need more volume, you really want to do more drivers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 02-10-11, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Send a message via Skype™ to Tom Grimes

I see. I'm going to try to make this whole system pretty plug and play from the DJ/Laptop side of things. So I'm gonna want to have some power handling headroom.

Right now the mental picture is two ficar 18"s with room in the manifold for more. If I don't just start with 4.

I'd love to model this myself. Since I'm unable to modify the WinISD pro database, I can't really do much there, and in the beta version, I cant save new drivers. Is there any fixes for this stuff? Or is this just a really bad reaction to a 64 bit OS in both programs?
post #13 of 24 Old 02-10-11, 12:58 PM
Elite Shackster

Jim

Quote:
I'd love to model this myself. Since I'm unable to modify the WinISD pro database, I can't really do much there, and in the beta version, I cant save new drivers. Is there any fixes for this stuff? Or is this just a really bad reaction to a 64 bit OS in both programs?
I'm running Win Pro Alpha on Win7 (64 bit) - and have no problems creating new drivers and editing..
I just do the following.. Launch WinISD.. go to Utilities -> Database editing, then create new driver and hit SAVE. Generally need to fudge a couple calculated parameters to get it just right.

You can try downloading the wdr file here:
http://www.tatzfamily.com/HomeTheate...FicarIB318.wdr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #14 of 24 Old 02-10-11, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I put the file into the drivers folder and it worked fine. So theres that issue solved. It still wont close on its own. Has a memory error. But force close works fine so its no big deal.

So then to model, I use a huge volume of like 10000 Liters. the .707 box option, and one driver at a time?
post #15 of 24 Old 02-10-11, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the help by the way. I don't want to seem rude. I really appreciate all the help.
post #16 of 24 Old 02-10-11, 02:30 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

You model with the space that you have which is 1120 ft^3.

Orange is Two IB3-18 D4's with 1200 watts and a HPF at 12 hz.

Yellow is 4 subs with 2400 watts and the same HPF.

Start with 2 subs, I suspect that will be plenty.

Excessive IB: Help Wanted!-ib3-18.jpg

We're all in this together!

post #17 of 24 Old 02-10-11, 02:34 PM
Elite Shackster

Jim

Quote:
I put the file into the drivers folder and it worked fine. So theres that issue solved. It still wont close on its own. Has a memory error. But force close works fine so its no big deal.

So then to model, I use a huge volume of like 10000 Liters. the .707 box option, and one driver at a time?
Yeah, I have to force close too. I think that's a 64bit issue.. It just keeps you motivated to run it more often!

I've heard the recommendation to model with a huge volume - but I agree with Mike P - that you'll get more realistic results by using a volume closer to what you actually have.

post #18 of 24 Old 02-10-11, 02:46 PM
Senior Shackster
mojave

Quote:
Zeitgeist wrote: View Post
Yeah, I have to force close too. I think that's a 64bit issue.. It just keeps you motivated to run it more often!
You can right click the icon for WinISD, click "Properties," click the "Compatability" tab, and then run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 98/Windows Me. No more forcing it to close!
post #19 of 24 Old 02-10-11, 02:48 PM
Elite Shackster

Jim

Quote:
mojave wrote: View Post
You can right click the icon for WinISD, click "Properties," click the "Compatability" tab, and then run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 98/Windows Me. No more forcing it to close!
I rarely ever think to use compatibility mode... nice catch! That works great.

post #20 of 24 Old 02-10-11, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks mojave! Solved my issue too! And also thanks Mike for the plot. Looks like it should, as us kids say, DO WORK!

Don't things start randomly moving about the room as you approach 130dB?

I'm going to leave room for the extra two anyways. Just so I can see what it's like if I ever can't resist the urge!