4 Fi IB318 - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 41 Old 04-02-14, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Re: 4 Fi IB318

I have, and it's easy to reach excursion limits even with one amp. Which is why I want two, to be honest. I feel amps driven well within their limits keep better hold on the drivers and will limit excursion a little.

I watched the important scenes from WotW yesterday, and excursion wasn't dramatic at all. The level was a little less than I've heard from oter system too, though, so I might just be running them a little lean. I haven't measured them yet, I think there may be some listening position issues (I've moved my couch during the build, it's very picky about distance from front wall in my particular case), and maybe even some integration issues. I've done a quick Audyssey run and haven't even looked at it after that. I'll use them for a few more hours to loosen them up a little, and then do a proper calibration. I might just be too used to box distortion still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 04-02-14, 02:31 PM
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to blitzer
That goes against what I have read and theoretical winisd stuff. If so, I will run out and buy another ep4000 immediately.

I will be really interested to see what happens after tuning and adding a house curve.

You are right, it does takes a bit to get used to the lack of distortion.

-Brent

post #33 of 41 Old 04-03-14, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Just read your thread, Blitzer. I'm a little relieved since I saw the same dropoff in the low end as you did, even if it SOUNDED like it was outputting significant energy way below 15Hz. I've boosted the low end a bit and cut my very similar 24Hz node significantly. I'm now a little worried about overexcursion since I've boosted the VLF part pretty significantly (6dB)

How did you end up wiring your amp? You got the 4S drivers as well, right?

post #34 of 41 Old 04-03-14, 08:45 AM
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System

I did the bridged Mono setup with 4S for a 4ohm load at the amp.

-Brent

post #35 of 41 Old 04-03-14, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Thank you. I'll try the same setup. Should give me quite a bit more power from the amp. The other option is two series per channel for a 8 ohm stereo load

post #36 of 41 Old 04-03-14, 09:01 AM
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System

Quote:
atledreier wrote: View Post
Just read your thread, Blitzer. I'm a little relieved since I saw the same dropoff in the low end as you did, even if it SOUNDED like it was outputting significant energy way below 15Hz. I've boosted the low end a bit and cut my very similar 24Hz node significantly. I'm now a little worried about overexcursion since I've boosted the VLF part pretty significantly (6dB)

I can pretty much claim flat to about 11Hz after EQ. What I ended up doing is eq'ing down the HUGE hump down to the level of the 11Hz level. The worked very well. If I start turning it up a lot, the room nodes and nulls(of course) start winning again, but for 90% of the listening volume I use i am good. Maybe this is why I am getting so much excursion.

Also, before the eq, I had that 20db bump at 30Hz and it was doing a number on my ears. My ears actually were aching for a day or two after watching the latest bond film - the gunfire and explosions in that movie can be particularly loud. I tamed that and don't feel like i am risking my ears during movies anymore, but lost some of the gut punch.

I am actually buying a couple nice subs to experiment with for extra upper base punch. I know purists will goff, but, I feel like the IB compresses my whole body - I feel like I am inside the explosion or the sound wave, etc, but sometimes I do mist the particular solar plexus gut compression in the mid bass that a good box sub can produce. So, going to play a bit with trying to add a couple SVS PB13s to even out my room response and to see if it gives a little of that back without screwing up the IB sound and the bottom end.

Can you post your REW graphs or MDAT?

-Brent

post #37 of 41 Old 04-04-14, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

I will when I have them available and they are "presentable". :-)

I have very capable mains, so "gut impact" is not an issue in my particular case. I think the IB does this better than the "box" subs I've had previous, maybe with the exception of the four JBL 4645 subs I had. But those did nothing under 20Hz. If you're curious you can check out my build thread for my mains, the link is in my signature.

I haven't had time to experiment alot with the setup yet, and I want to give the drivers a few hours more to loosen up before I go to any lengths to get it set up properly. Also have a wall rattle I need to address.

post #38 of 41 Old 02-28-16, 05:01 PM
Senior Shackster
jagman

Did you get the 2 ohm or 4 ohm drivers? How much power is each driver getting? I have 4 of the 2 Ohm IB3 18's and am planning to get a Crest Pro-Lite 3.0 which will give each driver 415 watts.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
post #39 of 41 Old 02-29-16, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

4 ohm drivers in series, two per channel for an 8 ohm load. I might not use all the potential in the drivers, but then, I'd like to keep my house a few years too. It's certainly an easier load on the amp and there's plenty of output. 415W to each driver is overkill, and there's nothing better! :-)

post #40 of 41 Old 02-29-16, 11:33 AM
Senior Shackster
jagman

Sounds good. I do worry about over excursion so I am also consdering a Berhinger inuke 3000 since it would deliver 320 watts RMS per sub. Combined SPL at reference should still be a couble dB above the mains I plan on getting. Of couse getting the Crest might allow for more of a house curve to be dialed in. Hmmmmm.