jvc convergence fix - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Service | Support > Brand Specific Service Forums > JVC
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 5492 - Replies: 12  
Old 10-04-08, 03:44 PM   #1
fritztwo
Inactive

jvc convergence fix

I have read one of your post about fixing the convergence and I order a stk392-110 and sodered in the ne one and now the tv light comes on but no picture or sound. I checked the resistors and they were all correct but 2 of them. The 2 that were off were marked R863 (150 ohm) and R873 (220 ohm), I tooked them back out and they were the correct ohm but when I put them back in both of them dropped to 89.8 ohm, if I did one at a time they were correct until I put the other in. Can some one help me with this.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-08, 03:59 PM   #2
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA
Re: jvc convergence fix

1/150 + 1/220 = 1/89

The resistors are in parallel.

I suggest that you read all of the first 10 posts in the convergence thread. It explains that the -110 should be upgraded, that the resistors should be checked out of circuit, and that it is critical to purchase the parts from a reliable distributor, among much other important information.

If you want specific help, post the model number of the set and specifics about the symptom, diagnostic procedures, and other relevant information about the precise state of the set.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Old 10-04-08, 11:26 PM   #3
fritztwo
Inactive

I have a JVC av56wp74 and the the first problem was the red convergence would not line up horizontally so I replaced it with a new stk392-110 I should have upgraded to the stk394-160 but thought I should use original parts and when I put it back in tv I didn't have a picture at all. I had a friend that gave me an extra remote awhile back so I call him to see where the tv was and I went and picked it up because it was a JVC av48wp74 so I check the resistor and the readings were the same as mine but I tried that board in my tv it made a clicking noise but no picture. Then I took out some of the resistors out of the48wp74 board and did check the resistors while they were out and were correct but that was when I put them in and they dropped to 89ohm. I did read your other post and I think I put to much compound on the back of stk392-110 and don't have a good ground, could that be it.

Old 10-05-08, 08:33 AM   #4
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

The chips do not get ground from the heat sinks. The reason not to put too much heat sink compound is that it acts like an insulator if there is too much.

If the set worked before, it should work after you put it back together unless you missed a connection or botched the job somehow. You need to be sure that you did not miss something.

It is usually a good assumption to use original parts. Did you buy them from an authorized JVC parts distributor under the JVC part number? If not, and if you did not buy them from one of the handful of reliable distributors of Sanyo STKs, you may have received some bad parts.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.

Old 10-11-08, 03:55 PM   #5
fritztwo
Inactive

Thanks for your help, we got my jvc av-56wp74 going like you said if it worked when I took it apart it should work when I put it back together, so just took everything out that I changed and redid it and it started working.
My next question is I tryed the board in the jvc av-48wp74 and it would not let the blue go to the right far enough to align, but it did let me move it left or right and up and down, and the red worked right. Can you help

Old 10-11-08, 04:11 PM   #6
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

Probably a bad output IC and/or open resistor. Read the convergence thread carefully, particularly the first 10 posts.

Old 02-22-11, 02:14 PM   #7
Shackster

Since: Jan 2011

I am having the same problem, but someone threw my notes away or lost them. can someone tell me the resistor chart. and the two capacitor uf ratings. there are two capacitors that the label has melted. they just metal. no info on them. i am guessing that maybe a 35 volt 220 uf will be ok. but i dont want to take a chance with my new 392-120 ic's

Old 10-04-12, 11:50 AM   #8

Stefan
Since: Oct 2012

I know this thread is a little old but I have replace the 110's with 150's and I have also read the how to on it as well. checked the resistors and the first one 1.5 ohm 1 watt metal film resistor was out. so I went to my local tv repair shop and picked one up.

the screen turns on and everything works and now all i have to do is set the convergence rightttt?

Unfortunatly whn I go the the convergence menu I cannot go any further and it will not let me go into the auto or manual convergence. There is also a reset button which when I press it the screen goes black but only the green projector light is on.
p.s. have org remote.

any ideas??

thanks
stefan

Old 10-04-12, 06:47 PM   #9
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

I am not really clear on what the problem is. When you say you go to the convergence menu and cannot go any further, what does this mean? Is the green only lit at this point? Do you have the service manual?

Old 10-04-12, 10:01 PM   #10

Stefan
Since: Oct 2012

that is exactly the problem. when I try to select manual or auto convergence it does NOT go any further. it just sits there for about 10 seconds and then i am able to try and select up and down again. is there some type of secret "secret" to get to the menu. I tried the buttons "ok" and I also tried the vol+ to select it and neither take me anywhere. I am hoping its something stupid.

thanks,
Stefan

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Service | Support > Brand Specific Service Forums > JVC »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »