Elite Screens Giveaway Qualification Thread! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 28 Old 10-01-09, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
I'm a redneck!
My System
Elite Screens Giveaway Qualification Thread!

We have two very nice projector screens to giveaway compliments of Elite Screens and the Shack.

EZ Electric VMAX100UWH2 100" 16x9 and an R100WH1 Fixed Frame 100" 16x9

The qualification period is from October 1, 2009 until December 15, 2009... just in time for Christmas!
Qualifying members must be registered by November 30, 2009 in order to qualify.

You must have a post count of at least 10 posts in the forums.

Post in this thread as to why you need or want a screen and which one you would prefer. You can list either or both in order of preference.

Include a photo image of where you would install the screen.

Make sure your equipment is listed in the Home Theater Equipment forum.

After December 15, the staff will vote on the two members who will receive the screens.

Shipping will be taken care of for CONUS Lower 48 addresses, otherwise the winner will be responsible for shipping.

NOTE: Qualifying members must be registered by November 30, 2009 in order to qualify.

Qualifications are subject to amendment with notice posted here.

Good luck!

This is the qualification thread only... no discussion here... use the discussion thread... Thanks!

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 28 Old 10-01-09, 10:32 AM
Senior Shackster
re: Elite Screens Giveaway Discussion Thread

Wow....talk about timing! I just posted looking for help with an electric screen that will cover an existing Plasma and Fireplace. I move in to the new place Friday 9/25.......Look for Pics of the space, renovation photo's and of course......pleading as to why you should give it to me! Here's a Pic of the existing fireplace.......can you say 1980?

This ain't my space yet so no funny comments on the Decor.......sliders are the first to go! along with the mirrors,carpet,etc.
post #3 of 28 Old 10-02-09, 10:56 AM
re: Elite Screens Giveaway Discussion Thread

Hi, I will make a pitch for the EZ Electric VMAX100UWH2 100" 16x9. Our brand new theatre build included a DIY BOC screen and border. As this is our first threatre, the stage area doubles as a focal point for my wife to have our two little darlings "my rough and ready boys (3 and 5 yrs old)" to experience and express their inner artistic nature through singing/performing/watching photo slide shows etc. Works well with MOM, but Dad got in on the act... and before you knew it, the stage area was ground zero for sword fighting, shadow battles, and pictures of birds of prey vs scenic vistas - you get the idea. The screen does not hold up too well to my... displays. Shadow battles become full contact on the screen and a pic of a spider gets squashed sometimes. In any case, I am taking my better half's punishment well and have learned my lesson. I have replaced the BOC twice and repaired the frame on another occassion. In the interims I have resorted to the ultimate in disposable screens (see attached) sheets of 4x8 styrofoam. The ideal solution - other than therapy for the kids and I - is an electric screen!

Jim Reid
Attached Thumbnails
Elite Screens Giveaway Qualification Thread!-screens.jpg  

Last edited by Mccrew; 11-24-09 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Better Pic of screen location
post #4 of 28 Old 10-02-09, 10:59 PM
Elite Shackster
My System
Re: Elite Screens Giveaway Qualification Thread!

Well, I've got 5 girls Aged 3-16 and we simply cant afford to take them all to the theater. My Wife is a full time stay at home mom (A very respectable job I might add) and I simply cant justify the cost to buy a real screen like this giveaway is offering so I have resorted to simply a low budget painted on 96" screen.
I just "upgraded" my projector from a Sanyo Z2 the a Sanyo Z4 but in order to do so I had to sell off some of my video editing equipment but I want to make this the best space possible within our budget.

My personal preference is the R100WH1 Fixed Frame 100"
Thanks for this opportunity Sonnie and Shack Staff.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Last edited by tonyvdb; 12-14-09 at 03:43 PM.
post #5 of 28 Old 10-16-09, 03:21 PM
Senior Shackster

With 3 kids mouths to feed, sports to pay for and what not I find that I am having to DIY or hunt for deals on the used market for just about everything in my home theater. My current screen is made from matte white Formica and it's about 90" diagonal. I believe it was wbasset's meticulous thread on the subject that introduced me to "The Shack".

Since the screen cost under $80 and was relatively easy to build, it squeezed into my overall budget nicely. It was my first attempt and it does do a fairly good job but...

For starters my home made screen's border is just baseboard trim painted black. I used spray paint and it came out a little shiny. I measured twice and cut once, but there was about an extra 1/4 inch in height than their should have been. I can size the picture to fit the width but there is still 1/8 inch top and bottom that are exposed when viewing 16:9 content.

I also messed up and a little glue squeezed out onto the screen. I managed to clean it up reasonably well but construction adhesive is nasty stuff. It's only noticeable if you get up close though and it's in that 1/8" gap so it doesn't affect the picture. There is also a finger print somewhere in the middle that causes color variation in bright scenes. Kids and their greasy hands. I've tried quite a few different products but it will not come off.

I also cheaped out and used regular spruce/pine/fir 1x2 for the frame and it warped slightly so it doesn't hang flat on the wall. I should have used kiln dried poplar or hardwood. I've been toying with building a new one, but time, budget and WAF get in the way even though it would only cost around $100 if I did it right.

The motorized Elite screen would give that extra sense of awe in my theater room. I could control it with my harmony remote or I could also use the trigger out on my projector or receiver to lower it also. It would also prevent "The Kids" from touching it. I can hide the remote, but hiding a fixed screen...thats what retractable ones are for. Of course I wouldn't mind the fixed screen either as it would clearly blow away my cheap laminate model. I'd be sure to do some side by side comparisons to prove it.

Here's my current screen and where the Elite 100" screen would reside. It would almost take up the full width of the room with a little over a foot to spare on either side. That still leaves room for some 12x12x17 bass traps on each side which I plan on adding towards the end of November.

I'll get some more pics up soon of the "lessons" I learned not to repeat when making a screen.

Last edited by MatrixDweller; 11-12-09 at 01:12 PM.
post #6 of 28 Old 11-01-09, 03:46 PM

This is just what I needed! We are getting an Epson Proj in the next few months and have been trying to figure out what to do for a screen. The electric would be my preference, but either would work well. I'll post the family room where the screen would live (the tv wil go to the bedroom).
post #7 of 28 Old 11-02-09, 08:16 AM

I am qualified and would love to be entered into this drawing. I don't have a dedicated space, so I'm having to use my living room as my theater. I currently have a WilsonArt DW DIY screen in place, but unfortunately it has a crack from being mounted into place (the bad part about laminate screens...very finicky). I would love to have a real screen and these look amazing. Here is a picture of the space it would go.

post #8 of 28 Old 11-02-09, 09:26 AM

I'd like to regester and win either Elite screen. Preference would be the electric drop-down screen to go above and in front of the fireplace in the room pictured below. To make the electric screen drop low enough, I'd build a shelf out above the plasma TV rather than mount it on the ceiling, unless the screen is able to drop low enough for optimal viewing height.

The fixed screen could work in that same place too, or be placed upstairs in the game room where I'd start a dedicated theater build and then turn the downstairs more into general TV viewing and music.

Ahhh, so many possibilities and plans - fortunately my wife is into this hobby as well and enjoys music and movies the same.

Name:  Family Room sm.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  102.8 KB
post #9 of 28 Old 11-02-09, 10:41 AM

i would love to win a fixed frame screen.
it would complete my theater.
here are some pics of where it would go
and thank you for the chance.
my equipment:
infocus projector
ht computer powerdvd video card for blue ray and revo 7.1 sound card
sony 6.1 receiver
jordan jx92 fullrange across the front
css fr125s fullrange in the rear
adire audio shiva 12 with a bash 500w plate amp
this is an on going project i plan to finish this winter

Last edited by GKF; 11-02-09 at 10:50 AM.
post #10 of 28 Old 11-04-09, 10:05 PM
Senior Shackster

Motorized or pull down screen could go where this pic is. Fixed screen I'd have to turn the stuff in my room around 90 degrees, but I'm not against that!!! May have to get rid of that fan too. I don't have a projector yet, but this would give me the kick in the butt that I need to get one.

elite , giveaway , qualification , screens , thread!

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page